Lemon law attorney Recs?

3,383 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by GTBullitt68
GTBullitt68
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
After owning my 2018 Tahoe for 3 months it has been in the shop for a month already for the same issue. I fairly certain I will be pursuing the lemon law route. Does anyone have a recommendation on a good Lemon Law Attorney in Dallas? Thanks
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Have you already contacted GM and open a case?
The Wonderer
AG
Dana Karni

http://karnilawfirm.com/

Best I know with respect to Lemon Laws.
GTBullitt68
AG
Thanks Wonderer.

1Ags - no, I haven't contacted them directly. I've heard two schools of thought on whether or not to contact them first. Most people I've talked to say, they just jerk you around for weeks/months and you end up with an attorney anyways. What do you think?
3rdgenAg2010
I have no advice, but curious what issue you are having?
GTBullitt68
AG
When I'm driving below 45mph and I hit a bump or expansion joint of any kind, the entire roof and body flexes creating a subwoofer effect. Since the week I drove it home, I've had tinnitus and terrible ear pressure and pain from this. Apparently this is a well known defect across all tahoes and yukons. The technical term is "buffeting" and several people on the gm-trucks forum have had their vehicles repurchased by GM.

Unfortunately, this is a "feeling" defect so it's hard to point at one individual item as the culprit. So far, I have had 3 sets of tires road force balanced and replaced by my dealership to try and help. This last time, they dropped by headliner, glued down the roof rails again, and added soundproofing patches (dynomat) to the roof. They also replaced the rear hatch and glass bumpers with a revised design to try and solve it. I dropped it off this morning for the same issue as none of these have helped with the issue.
91AggieLawyer
AG
From the lemon law website:

Quote:

It is advisable to contact the Lemon Law Section of the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TxDMV) for more specific information and assistance at (888) 368-4689.

Wouldn't hurt to give them a call first.
GTBullitt68
AG
Thanks! I'll try that tomorrow.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
The Wonderer said:

Dana Karni

http://karnilawfirm.com/

Best I know with respect to Lemon Laws.
She's great!
JBLHAG03
AG
One of my friends sold 2018 Escalade 8 months after buying for same reason. Not sure it can be "fixed." Best of luck.
GTBullitt68
AG
Thanks! I'm hoping GM buys it back so I don't lose my butt on trade in
GTBullitt68
AG
Just heard back from the dealer that they are "unable to duplicate the problem." Seems like my options are getting fewer and fewer now...
96ags
AG
Following.

Hope everything works out ok for you.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
I wonder if adding CCF or other material will help.

Check out sound deadener showdown.

That guy has done LOTS of R&D and knows his stuff. Email him and see what he thinks.
GTBullitt68
AG
Thanks will do!
GTBullitt68
AG
Update: Talked to another dealer and they said if the PIT and TSB have already been completed there was nothing more they could do and didn't want me to bring it in. However the service manager there escalated it to the regional service rep. Not sure how much good that will do.

For those that recommended Karni Law Firm, do you have any personal experience with them? Not a ton of reviews on the internet for this firm. Thanks!
The Wonderer
AG
GTBullitt68 said:

Update: Talked to another dealer and they said if the PIT and TSB have already been completed there was nothing more they could do and didn't want me to bring it in. However the service manager there escalated it to the regional service rep. Not sure how much good that will do.

For those that recommended Karni Law Firm, do you have any personal experience with them? Not a ton of reviews on the internet for this firm. Thanks!
Yes. She is a fantastic person and also very respected in consumer law/lemon law within the State Bar.
GTBullitt68
AG
Great! Thank you for responding so quickly. I'll reach out to her today.

UPDATE: Spoke to Dana and she is no longer taking new car lemon law cases, only used. However she recommended Craig Patrick in Dallas. The process continues...
GTBullitt68
AG
Update: Patrick Law Firm said my case wasn't strong enough to win and that I needed to take the car back to the dealership for 1-2 more attempted repairs before we could attempt the legal option. Car goes back into the shop on Monday to have the headliner torn back out and confirm roof is still attached to cross rails and that the service billeting was done correctly. I will update this as things progress.
TMoney2007
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

I wonder if adding CCF or other material will help.

Check out sound deadener showdown.

That guy has done LOTS of R&D and knows his stuff. Email him and see what he thinks.
If a bump is causing the roof to flex enough to create so much sound pressure that it is uncomfortable sound deadener isn't going to help. It would help reverb or if there was some vibration getting to the roof panel and causing the problem.

It just changes the resonant frequency of the system, it won't really help if panel is flexing and causing a spike in pressure.
GTBullitt68
AG
I agree. Based on other people's experience with this, no amount of sound deadening has helped. Might have to bed liner the roof from the inside to stop flexing. Of course, if Chevy doesn't buy it back, I may just wash my hands of this vehicle rather than void the warranty completely.
MouthBQ98
AG
Weird. That's like the subtle subsonic buffeting I get in my xterra when only both rear windows are halfway down at highway speed. It makes me slowly more and more nauseated at highway speed until I crack a front window or roll up the back ones. Weird part is even a tiny gap in a front window makes it almost completely go away.
GTBullitt68
AG
Same exact thing except all windows are up and doors/windows are closed tight. Plus I don't have a sunroof to worry about either.
GTBullitt68
AG
It's been a couple of weeks since I've updated everyone on how this is progressing so here it goes

Took my Tahoe back to the dealer I purchased it from on Monday, Feb 25th to let them attempt to fix it for the 4th time and check the other dealerships handy work. Received a call from the service manager the next day saying that the first dealership installed the sound absorbent pads in the wrong place and missed where the roof separated from the roof bows in 5 different places. He told me that they had to order special GM bonding adhesive for the roof bows along with more sound absorbent pads for the roof. He committed to re-gluing everything and covering the entire roof with these pads.

Received a call on Monday, March 4 for the dealership saying they are still waiting on the parts and have no eta as to when they could show up. For now, I'm supposed to just sit tight and wait. At this point, I file a claim with the Better Business Bureau to declare the car a lemon. Per the back of the Chevy Manual, this is the next step after 30 days out of service and 3 repair attempts.

Received an email the next day saying they have accepted my case and have started the process with GM. Provided them a timeline of everything along with documents supporting service records, purchase details, and conversations.

Received a call yesterday from both the BBB and GM updating me on the status of the case. GM recorded and confirmed everything I have submitted to the BBB along with the aftermarket accessories. He even acknowledged that the only solution I am pursuing is for this to be repurchased. The rep told me that he would have a progress update for me in the next 7-10 days. The BBB rep asked the I mail a certified letter to Chevrolet corporate saying they get one final repair attempt. This is per the Texas Lemon Law. Luckily Chevy still has my Tahoe so it's possible this would fall under that demand.

As of now, the ball is in their court and I should have an update in another week or so.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.