So is the Bronco ever going to be revealed?

28,166 Views | 174 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Chrundle the Great
BoDog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I thought FoMo was supposed to introduce this week in Detroit and now I read they may wait on the new F150 and begin production on the Bronco in late 2020?
PMD03
AG
It's the new 2006 Camaro and 2012 Supra.
meggy09
AG
It will be debuted sometime in the next 24 months and will arrive in "2020". So I'm guessing a 2021 model year. I think ford is screwning this up, I'm getting tired of checking for, and not finding, any official info about it.
DeWrecking Crew
Word is they reveal the "Baby Bronco" and new F150 first, then 6 months later introduce the Bronco...I would prepare for an introduction in 2020 for 2021 production
Street Fighter
AG
Going to be real ****ty if the extended hype ends with a huge disappointment.
ccolley68
AG
Street Fighter said:

Prepare for just that. What I have seen so far of the Bronco, it's going to be a big letdown. It has some neat aspects, but for people nostalgically waiting on the Bronco of our youth, it will be nothing like that. To me, looks like the reintroduction of classics of the past like the Toyota FJ, Pontiac GTO, etc., but even bigger letdown. The Toyota FJ was a neat little vehicle, but if you wanted a 70's era FJ reincarnation, that wasn't it. Same with the GTO, it had some incredibly impressive capabilities, but it was too little too late, and it was ugly, nothing like its prior looker of muscle car. The new Bronco looks like a milk toast version of its ancestor. Those of us who grew up with Bronco's MIGHT give it to our daughters to drive, but it won't be our rig.
pdtnation
AG
Just curious, what is your source on the info? Are you involved in production/ the auto manufacturing industry?
meggy09
AG
pdtnation said:

Just curious, what is your source on the info? Are you involved in production/ the auto manufacturing industry?

There's undoubtedly a big portion of people out there that will say the new Bronco is a failure even if Ford knocks it out of the park. They don't need to know any of the facts about the truck. I don't see why anyone would want something remotely resembling an old Bronco unless it was a toy they drove every now and then, and if that's the case just buy and build an old one.

I'm optimistic, especially if they truly are aiming for a piece of the Jeep pie. I think it's been confirmed a 4 door and 2 door (likely extended cab type) will be offered, there will be a manual option, solid axles, based off the ranger. That's all pretty promising. I'm concerned about the engine options, if it only gets the 2.3 I'll be disappointed. I would love to see the 3.0 boost or at least the 2.7. I've read the bigger boosts don't fit in the ranger due to sheet metal issues, which might not be the case for the Bronco. People who say 5.0 or nothing are dumb, don't see any way that happens, as awesome as it'd be.
DeWrecking Crew
In the same interview that the Ford exec said we wouldn't see it this year, he promised that they are staying true to the Bronco roots. He claimed they understood clearly what was wanted...of course what else was he gonna say, but I got the impression it was genuine
ccolley68
AG
pdtnation said:

**** no, just interested in it. The vehicle I learned to drive on was a '78 bronco. I loved that thing and always loved the Broncos in general. My hopes were dashed when I read the early articles that it would be based on the ranger, not the F-150 like the older ones. Being based off the Ranger leads me to believe it will be much more Bronco II than Bronco. The teaser shots with the drape over it definitely has a boxy look, which could be promising like the 60's version, or be like the 80's Bronco II which was terrible, or be one of those modern abominations where it's just covered in gaudy overly dramatic molded plastics to overaccentuate the features we fell in love with on the older ones. But I also hate everything and everyone, and yell at clouds, so I may not be the best critic of new things.
txyaloo
AG
ccolley68 said:

pdtnation said:

**** no, just interested in it. The vehicle I learned to drive on was a '78 bronco. I loved that thing and always loved the Broncos in general. My hopes were dashed when I read the early articles that it would be based on the ranger, not the F-150 like the older ones. Being based off the Ranger leads me to believe it will be much more Bronco II than Bronco. The teaser shots with the drape over it definitely has a boxy look, which could be promising like the 60's version, or be like the 80's Bronco II which was terrible, or be one of those modern abominations where it's just covered in gaudy overly dramatic molded plastics to overaccentuate the features we fell in love with on the older ones. But I also hate everything and everyone, and yell at clouds, so I may not be the best critic of new things.
Not sure if you've noticed, but full size trucks have gotten enormous over the last 30 years. Consider the F150 and the Super Duty are sharing the same cab. When the 1999 SD's came out, I couldn't believe how huge the crew cabs were. Today's mid-size trucks are going to be comparable to a pre-2000's full size.

If you compare the dimensions of the 96 Bronco to the 2019 Ranger, they new Ranger is actually wider. Ford has mentioned they intend to release a 2 door Bronco which should have a similar wheelbase as the FSB.

Bronco: 184 L x 79 W x 74 H
Ranger 211 L x 86 W x 72 H

The biggest problem with the new Bronco is it's likely going to be priced so high no one is going to buy it.
Towns03
AG
I despise parking garages. they stress me out. truck too big, garage too small. This is why I wish the size trend would reverse.

I pulled the trigger on a 2018 Silverado just to avoid the larger body of the 2019s.
txyaloo
AG
Towns03 said:

I despise parking garages. they stress me out. truck too big, garage too small. This is why I wish the size trend would reverse.

I pulled the trigger on a 2018 Silverado just to avoid the larger body of the 2019s.
If I know I'll have to park in a garage, I leave the Super Duty at home and drive one of my smaller cars. I hate that "will it fit" pucker factor.
saltydog13
AG
ccolley68 said:

Street Fighter said:

The new Bronco looks like a milk toast version of its ancestor.

Where has there been actual pictures of the bronco? The only one revealed so far has been the baby bronco and it's obviously far different than the main bronco. I just hope they offer the 5.0 as an option. If it's anything close to the speculative images, it looks like it'll be closer to the '66-'77 years which is what I would assume most people would want.
Tim Weaver
Towns03 said:

This....

I drove an Excursion for years. It was the largest SUV at one point in time, and ridiculed for it. In the 20-teens it actually felt small on the road next to half-ton trucks that were taller and wider and longer! Even import SUV's have grown to about the same size as the Excursion was!

My wife has a 2017 silverado. It's freaking huge on the outside, but not so much on the inside! 5 foot bed? cramped driver's compartment? Can't see over the hood! My Excursion was Huuuuge on the inside where it counts! I could fit a full 4x8 sheet of plywood in it with the seats down. Tons of room and tons more visibilty, and it would (just) fit inside a standard garage!
ccolley68
AG
saltydog13 said:

ccolley68 said:

Street Fighter said:

The new Bronco looks like a milk toast version of its ancestor.

Where has there been actual pictures of the bronco? The only one revealed so far has been the baby bronco and it's obviously far different than the main bronco. I just hope they offer the 5.0 as an option. If it's anything close to the speculative images, it looks like it'll be closer to the '66-'77 years which is what I would assume most people would want.

No pictures, I'm sorry, I should have said "seems" instead of looks. Being on the Ranger platform, I doubt the 5.0 will be an option because that's not an option on the Ranger if I'm not mistaken.

None of the visual stuff on the new Bronco is anything more than speculation, but I'm just not thrilled with what folks have come up with.
BoDog
AG
This truck better be the proverbial "second coming", or Ford will be a laughing stock-especially after hinting that they are going after the Wrangler.
JSKolache
AG
Its gonna be another crossover so who cares
Coach B17
I wonder if they going to have a Eddie Bauer Edition or an OJ Simpson Edition?
txyaloo
AG
JSKolache said:

How so when you consider the Everest which the Bronco is going to be based on is body on frame?

water turkey
The reality will never live up to the hype.
Trinity Ag
S
water turkey said:

The reality will never live up to the hype.
Does anything?
ccolley68
AG
txyaloo said:

JSKolache said:

How so when you consider the Everest which the Bronco is going to be based on is body on frame?

Being based on an Everest doesn't give me any greater hope.
txyaloo
AG
ccolley68 said:

txyaloo said:

JSKolache said:

The Everest is an extremely capable 4x4. Go watch some videos on it.

Really seems like your main complaint is how the thing is going to look considering your smaller size complaint didn't really pan out. Your complaints probably have some merit with the crossover based baby Bronco that's been announced, but why don't we let Ford do their thing and see what they come up with for the new big Bronco? I think it's going to be an overpriced but very capable off road machine.

Like water turkey said, it isn't going to live up to the hype any way you cut it. It's 2019. Ford obviously can't do the same things they could in the 80s/90s.
meggy09
AG
water turkey said:

The reality will never live up to the unrealistic expectations .

FTFY

ccolley68 said:

txyaloo said:

JSKolache said:

I seriously don't get where your coming from. Your first complaint was it won't be like the original Bronco because it shares frame with the Ranger instead of the F150. Then someone points out the size of the current Ranger is actually bigger than the old Bronco. Now the complaint is that another Australian SUV shares the frame? You realize the difference in a crossover and a body on frame SUV right?

Nothing that has come out officially yet points to it being less capable than the target Wrangler. It certainly may end up being a lame duck, but it's bof with solid axles, exactly how it needs to be. You may end up being right, I just don't get the gymnastics your doing to make this truck seem horrible.

What specifically would it take for the Bronco to be a success in your mind?
Aggietaco
AG
This for $45k with 5 star crash test ratings, smooth ride, quiet cab, and 100k mile warranty.
Ciboag96
I'm expecting a watered down Navigator
meggy09
AG
See my post above about unrealistic expectations.

The Bronco is doomed, throw the towel in Ford.
Goose
AG
meggy09 said:

For me: Top has to come off
Street Fighter
AG
Goose said:

meggy09 said:

Supposedly it will have one of those roll back soft tops; possibly removable panels as well but not a full top removal. Close enough since most people wouldn't remove it anyway.

chimpanzee
Goose said:

meggy09 said:

The removable hard top on original (66-77) Broncos was a PITA to get off, but doable. On the full sized versions, I had one as did my brother, and we took those off a grand total of zero times between us. It takes lots of help and/or a hoist system plus a place to store the thing before that becomes much of a fun option that outweighs the effort required.

Platform sharing bothers me less than it used to, it seems like these things are much more flexible in what can and can not be changed.

I wondered why they wouldn't bother with an F150 based two door Bronco (or Blazer/Ramcharger), seems like you could build one without much development or tooling investment. Honestly, I could see FCA/Ram doing it.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
What we'd hoped for:

What Ford is giving us:
https://s.aolcdn.com/dims-global/dims3/GLOB/legacy_thumbnail/350x197/quality/95/
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

What we'd hoped for:

What Ford is giving us:
https://s.aolcdn.com/dims-global/dims3/GLOB/legacy_thumbnail/350x197/quality/95/

I'm assuming that's just testing the mechanical stuff with a Frankenstein ranger put on top with some crap camper. I would pay attention to the suspension and mechanical and throw the body away as that will be different
ccolley68
AG
So we thought we would get a badass Bronco reinvigoration, instead we are going to get a *******ization of an Isuzu Amigo and Isuzu VEHICross. Awesome
saltydog13
AG
If you go look at the baby bronco reveal, you can see the silhouette of the actual bronco behind it. This isn't it. At best it'll be the suspension and other items like the poster above said

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.