Silverado AFM

6,310 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by barney94
3rdgenAg2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone have any experience in this causing issues in the long run? The internet forums seem to call it the devil.. I assume it would void my warranty if i program it to turn it off? I know the early years had oil consumption issues, but i figured by 2018 they should have that resolved...

Silvy??
WP69
AG
Are you asking about 2019? You should differentiate between AFM and DFM. Both are available on the 5.3 and they are totally different systems.
Silvy
AG

There was some dude on here recently who claimed GM has fixed the AFM lifter issue with the Gen V engines. However, BigPuma had an AFM issue with his Gen V lifters.

Yes, your warranty will likely be void if you disable the AFM. You can leave it for time being and disable once out of warranty. The ultimate fix is deleting the AFM hardware.
KRamp90
AG
On my old Suburban, you could leave it in tow/haul mode, which essentially neutered the craptastic AFM.
3rdgenAg2010
WP69 said:

Are you asking about 2019? You should differentiate between AFM and DFM. Both are available on the 5.3 and they are totally different systems.

2018. Whats DFM?
TommyGun
AG
3rdgenAg2010 said:

WP69 said:

2018. Whats DFM?

It's the latest generation of AFM. It's still cylinder de-activation but with more combos than just 4 or 8 cylinders. They state the engine has up to 17 cylinder combinations to deliver power.

I disabled AFM on my '11 5.3 silverado at 36,000 miles like 4-5 years ago. It's been trouble free for the last 100,000 miles and does not consume any oil. It still baffles me that GM puts out a product with this system equipped. I absolutely hate it. It adds unnecessary complexity to an otherwise great product.
moore42
AG
Just disabling AFM/DOD isnt going to fix the problem. The problem is the lifters will eventually collapse, requiring replacement anyway.

I disabled AFM on my 07 Yukon not long after i bought it at 76k miles. Fast forward to 160k miles and the lifter noise started showing up. It became incredibly annoying at 165k miles and I replaced them all with non-DOD lifters and a new cam.
barney94
AG
moore42 - what was the process to disable? I have an 08 Silverado with 42k miles on it that I will probably be my DD after I get rid of this Audi thats burning oil...did you use an ODB jack plug-in, go to a tuner and program, what?

I don't think I will spend the money to tear into the engine unless/until something fails...
big ben
AG
Whats the process on a 2014?
TSUAggie
Trade it in for a Ford.
kyledr04
AG
I haven't had any trouble on my 14 but I only have 48k miles
GTBullitt68
AG
There are several options and price ranges available to delete it. I've always used BlackBear tuning as I wanted the performance gains as well. However there is a tool just to disable the AFM and it's made by Range. It just plugs into your OBDII port and doesn't leave a trace in the computer. However I think it's a little too expensive for only getting that one feature but it is the simplest option.
moore42
AG
barney94 said:

moore42 - what was the process to disable? I have an 08 Silverado with 42k miles on it that I will probably be my DD after I get rid of this Audi thats burning oil...did you use an ODB jack plug-in, go to a tuner and program, what?

I don't think I will spend the money to tear into the engine unless/until something fails...
I already had HP Tuners since thats what I use on my Z06. So it was just $50 in credits and i tuned it out myself.

There are people that do it by mailing in your PCM. Black Bear is a good one.
viper14
AG
How did you disable your AFM? I have an '11 as well with the 5.3 too and have been looking to get rid of AFM because I had to replace two lifters.
agchino
AG
I have a 2013 GMC with AFM and had to have the cam and the lifters replaced at about 45k miles under warranty. Wasn't causing problems but was making some noise.

Service Rep said it wasn't an uncommon problem, but did remark it was uncommon to have them replaced that early. Haven't had any problems since and am at about 75k miles.
viper14
AG
I am jealous...
I replaced two lifters at 110k. First lifter broke, then about 3k miles later another one went out. I think I am going to go with the Range plug-in GTBullitt68 recommended. Good reviews on Amazon and only a $170.
TommyGun
AG
viper14 said:

How did you disable your AFM? I have an '11 as well with the 5.3 too and have been looking to get rid of AFM because I had to replace two lifters.

I've got a custom tune on the truck through https://www.diablewtune.com/. Lewis Eaton writes all of the tune files and you can buy the DiabloSport tuner and custom tune service for like $500 or so. There are cheaper options that will just disable AFM, but if you're going to disable it then you might as well custom tune it and get better performance.
viper14
AG
Thanks for the help, I will look into this.
Carny89
You tore the whole motor apart just to replace 2 lifters? Swap them all. Cam too
big ben
AG
Just purchased the range, will post a review
Carny89
The 2000 to 2006 were the best years. When the gov wanted stricter gas mileage numbers this was Gms answer. I still believe the ls based engine is the best push rod v8 ever made.
pancho17
AG
I put the range AFM disabler on my '17 Sierra 1500 at about 12,000 miles. Lost maybe 1 mpg but other than that it was $200 well spent as far as actually feeling like you have a truck that has all it's power all the time.
aggie_wes
AG
I've got an 08 with the 6.0 getting up close to 150k miles. I'm getting very nervous about the AFM. What does the "lifter noise" sound like?
I definitely notice more vibration when in V4 mode, but it's pretty much always done that.
spieg12
AG
Even though it's on the small end, this thread makes me glad my '12 has the 4.8 L V8. Don't have to worry about it.
sts7049
AG
for once in your life, smaller is better
BigPuma
AG
TSUAggie said:

Trade it in for a Ford.

This is what I did. I got a big boost. 6.7L steel body 250.

But yeah, as silvy said I had ****ing problems and most of the mechanics I talked to said once you have that problem once you'll have it again. 2 times in a 3 month period and I said I'm out. Not owning that truck out of warranty.
moore42
AG
BigPuma said:

I got a big boost. 6.7L steel body 250.

Quote:

Not owning that truck out of warranty.
laughing/crying emoticon. This oughta be good!
BigPuma
AG
I got a 16. The turbo issue was fixed in 15. I know the cold side pipe could blow. I know the problems with DEF. Those are all more solvable than dropping a new crate motor in that ****ing '14 GMC 1500 that I had. GM was only going to keep putting in new lifters.
viper14
AG
Yeah, I had very little knowledge of what was happening. Also, I repaired it through the dealership both times. If a third fails, I plan to replace all lifters and cam.
AgEng06
AG
TSUAggie said:

Trade it in for a Ford Duramax.
Willis
AG
What are the symptoms or what should I look for to know I have an issue?

I have an '08 Silverado 5.3L that has about 124K miles. I've noticed my truck runs a little rougher in 4 cylinder mode nowadays like aggie_wes said above, but I don't have any oil consumption issues.
agchino
AG
Mine was making a ticking sound that followed the revs, I initially thought it was a pulley. I took it in because I was still under warranty. I had no other noticeable engine issues at the time.
Willis
AG
moore42
AG
The ticking at idle could be nothing more than normal lifter noise. Mine actually did it under a load with moderate acceleration in the lower RPM range. Sounded like a miss.
Willis
AG
I also feel light vibration when the engine drops into 4 cylinder going down the road. Either way, how or when do I need to address the issue and what is the best route to go? If I do nothing, what are the ramifications and long term damage other than oil consumption? If I need a mechanic, does anyone have a recommendation in the Central Texas area?

I've run Mobil1 in my truck since the first oil change and I change it every 5K miles. That may be overkill but I believe in running high quality and clean oil. The truck currently has a little less than 123K miles.

Thanks moore42.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.