2003 Excursion 7.3L

1,164 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Jason Ag
redass89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I ran across one of these the other day. Asking $14,500 and has 89k Miles on it. Very clean interior as well. I admittedly don't know a lot about these vehicles. What is the automotive boards opinion?
The Wonderer
AG
The engine is great, the rest of the truck is 15 years old and things are going to break.
Tim Weaver
2wd or 4wd?

My 2003 was the best vehicle I've ever owned. I took it to 370k miles. Got great MPG for what it was. I got just a hair under 20 mpg doing a steady 68 mph on cruise control. That's similar to what any V8 gas full size truck is getting even today. Mine was a 2wd though. You'll get a little less if 4wd.

Windshields like to crack in the spring when the temps come up. I just left it cracked until it failed inspection.

The leather interior needs looking after in our climate. If it dries out it will split and look horrible. The dash and console are all plastic and hold up well.

It only left me stranded once. The Injector Pressure Regulator sensor went out. Wouldn't start. I was out of town and had it towed to a friend of a friend's mechanic. He had it fixed up in no time.

Other than that it was just basic maintenance. Oil, filters, I went through 2 alternators, 1 radiator, and a water pump, and a set of hydro boost hoses.

They are hell on brake pads. I used Hawk LTS pads and they worked really great, BUT made a crazy amount of dust.

The 4r100 has a sketchy reputation, but mine was fine for all 370k miles. I did partially change the oil regularly and put a filter and a full oil change in it once. The partial oil changes were: suck 4-5 quarts out through the dipstick tube and replace with new. I would do this every 3-4 oil changes.

This era of full size fords had an issue with the air boxes cracking and letting in unfiltered air. The best fix for this is to ditch the airbox and use a Napa 6637 air filter. This is a HUGE filter designed for bulldozers, etc. It lasts a good long time. You can read all about it, but if yours doesn't have this get it right away.

BTW, mine remained completely stock. I didn't use any tuner device or do anything other than the 6637 air filter.
Jason Ag
AG
A guy broke the plastic clip off my airbox a few years ago, I need to look into the mod. I just put a small bolt back.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Run a carfax and make sure the miles are legit.
Jason Ag
AG
Along those lines, might be too much, but I wonder if you could tell if it has the stock water pump, alternator, and front wheel bearings. I replaced all of those things after 100,000. I'm on my 3rd water pump at 180,000.

If you do buy it, I'd be happy to be a resource for you. I'm no mechanic, but I've driven the same 99 7.3L since 2002 and have performed pretty much all of my repairs. I like my truck, but as 1ags has stated before, be prepared to have some weekend projects carry over into the week. My truck has been very reliable, but it's currently leaking diesel out of my fuel bowel drain line. I ordered a new valve and will put it on, probably take an hour or so. I've done it before, no big deal. But it is old and these things do crop up.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.