Audi Q5 needs new tires - questions for the gurus

620 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 1agswitchin4lanes
chet98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Another tire thread...

Wife hit a curb and smoked the right rear sidewalls thus smoking that tire. Quick deflation with a huge gash in the tire!

2015 Audi Q5 with with decent tread left on the other 3 tires but will probably bite the bullet and buy all 4 as the tires were manufactured 4.5 years ago and just for overall peace of mind. OEMs were Continental Cross Contact LX Sports in 235 / 55 R19. Looking at Michelin Premier LTX based upon some research on Discount's website last night.

Questions...thought on either of the above tires? Also the owners manual would have you buy from Audi (no thanks) but also mentions tires stamped with "AO" because they're Audi approved or some b.s. Any thoughts on the AO concept?

Thanks in advance!
nortex97
AG
We put Michellin Premier and then lattitudes on ours. (Costco). The Premier series is rated to a faster speed (V) but wears out a lot faster. I don't remember/have the exact model tires but basically the "more truck looking" tread lasts longer, imho, and not different in handling.

The AO is for "Audi Original" and is pure BS marketing speak. You're not going to get any better performance although theoretically Audi could say a given tire model as AO would protect the rim better in a blowout or something. I would strongly discourage buying tires and paying to rotate/align them at the Audi dealership, especially after 4/48 warranty expires (it's a rip off except for certain mandatory maintenance, and even then...)
BigRobSA
LOL at "AO".

I had Conti DWSs on several cars now. Love them. I think the newest iteration is the DWS06.
"The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was never designed to restrain the people. It was designed to restrain the government."
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
I'm not impressed by the Premier LTX treadwear so far. Seems like everyone that I talk to or have seen shows excessive center rib wear.

I'd be looking at the Ecopia Dueler 422 as an alternative.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.