New Tires for 2013 F150 FX4

2,235 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Picard
Lt. Joe Bookman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking for some new tires for my 2013 FX4 F150. Currently have the 275/65R18 Terra Grappler G2s and like them, but I'm looking for something a little more aggressive with better offroad capabilities.

Ridge Grapplers?
Wrangler Duratracs?
St Maxx?
STT Pros?

Moving to Southern Oregon next year, so it needs to have fairly good wet weather performance.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Have ridge grapplers on my F250. No complaints
coolerguy12
AG
I got 65K out of my BFG KO2 tires. I drive 95% highway but work on pipelines and they have proven more than capable in very muddy/sandy/rocky conditions as well as many miles on lease roads in the middle of nowhere.
smstavinoha88
AG
Toyo RT's
rock08
AG
I have the same truck with Ridge Grapplers.
I love them, quiet and aggressive.
CATAGBQ04
AG
I got dem bfg mud grips

Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
rock08 said:

I have the same truck with Ridge Grapplers.
I love them, quiet and aggressive.
I'm thinking that's what I'll go with.

Did you keep the same tire size? Kind of wondering about going up to 285/65r18.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I believe you're going to need a leveling kit to fit those. I have 275/70/18s on mine now (BFGs)
AustinCountyAg
Funniest damn thing I've seen in a while
aggieforester05
AG
smstavinoha88 said:

Toyo RT's
I have these on my truck in 33" x 12.5" x 20" on fuel wheels. Tread wear is doing good, but they are a little loud (not mud tire loud), and they won't stay in balance. I've had them rotated and balanced twice in the last five thousand miles, and three times in 18k miles. Everytime after a couple of weeks they start to vibrate over 75mph again.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

I believe you're going to need a leveling kit to fit those. I have 275/70/18s on mine now (BFGs)
This.

285/65R18 will rub during turns.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

This.

285/65R18 will rub during turns.

Damn.

Did you need a leveling kit for the 275/70?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I have 1.75" in the front now but I doubt you need it for 275/70/18. 1agswitchin4lanes would know more than me.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
The main issue with the 285 is rubbing the fiber wheel well liner.

275/70 will fit but will look 'stuffed' in stock height IMO.

Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

The main issue with the 285 is rubbing the fiber wheel well liner.

275/70 will fit but will look 'stuffed' in stock height IMO.

That's what I was afraid of. I'll just keep the 275/65s and throw in the Ridge Grapplers.

Thanks for the help.
Picard
AG
So now that the OP is satisfied I'd like to ask the tire sizing question a different way:

Assuming we are still talking about a 2013 F150 4x4 keeping the factory wheels in 275/65R18, with a Bilstein 5100 level what are the possible tire sizes, pros cons of each, and the top recommendation for maximizing the tire size without rubbing?

1agswitchin4lanes
AG
I think much over 295 and you may experience crabbing in factory wheels.

285/65 and 275/70 are very close in height. One is just a bit wider.
rock08
AG
I have 295 60r20s . Stock rims. Bilstein 5100s

Very minor rubbing at full lock.
Picard
AG
Just posting an update in case it helps the OP or anyone else. It was time to replace the 275/65 R18 Michelin LTXs on my 2013 F150. Had installed Bilstein 5100s set to level a few months back so I had the option to put on larger tires.

After much debate between tire sizes and switching to the BFG KO2s I decided to stay with the Michelin Defender LTXs but go up a size to the 275/70 R18s which only come in an E rated tire. The thing that finally steered me away from the KO2s was realizing that the emergency stopping distance was significantly longer than the Michelin LTX. I couldn't justify that for a tire that I really didn't need and just wanted for looks.

I'm very happy with the Michelin Defender LTX tires in the larger size even though they are E rated. I honestly can't tell any difference in the ride quality of the E rated tire other than the stiffer sidewalls and less roll which I like. The loss of ~1mpg is a reality though. On the plus side, these tires have more tread....starting at 14/32 instead of 12/32 on the previous set.

This site was also helpful to me in comparing tire size options:

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.