Volvo XC90

5,323 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by cr
Bigfootisreal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking at a Volvo XC90 vs a BMW X5. Thoughts?
cablinaggie
AG
Looking to replace the wife's Acadia with either a 2019 XC90 or a lightly used Model X. I've never owned a Volvo but that is a good-looking car for around $55K.

Still a few months away from making a decision so my research is incomplete but the XC90 is at or near the top. We need six seats so the X5 is out of the question. The FIL has an X5 though and it's a great car but I don't think it's worth the $119k he spent on it.
aggiepaintrain
AG
suggestion: Lexus GX
ktownag08
AG
Wife liked the GX until she saw the interior that's badly in need of a refresh.
Macarthur
I think the XC90 is one of, if not the most, sexy vehicle on the road.

I do think (and this is not unique to Volvo) that these days with all the electronics on cars, if it's not better to lease and get something else once warranty is up. I think many of these cars are pretty good mechanically, but the elaborate electrical systems scare the heck out of me at +70,000 miles or so.
drumboy
AG
Seen some Volvo love on here lately and it's surprising because I thought the general consensus around here was "LOLvo".
cr
Get the Volvo!! You will not regret it.

The foreign car mechanic that services my GFs Volvo s60 says he makes a living off BMW owners.
cr
drumboy said:

Seen some Volvo love on here lately and it's surprising because I thought the general consensus around here was "LOLvo".

I've never owned one, never considered it actually. But my GF was looking to replace her Camry a few years ago and bought one and now I'm sold.

She was dead set on a Lexus. But after road testing Lexus, Volvo, Acura and Audi, and considering features, etc, she went with a Volvo.

It is solid as a rock and runs like a rocket ship with a turbo.
Dill-Ag13
AG
That Volvo scares me. 5000lb SUV with a tiny two liter that's both turbo'd and blown... longevity doesn't seem feasible but maybe that's just me being old fashioned.
Bigfootisreal
Appreciate the responses. Really like the Volvo but don't know anyone who has one. A good chunk of money to put down so I am taking my time. Also not impressed with Lexus or Acura.
Furlock Bones
AG
the XC90 really is a great looking vehicle.
minetta
AG
I have a 2018 XC90 and love it. My mom had an X5 until a year ago, so I have driven and compared both. XC90 is much roomier - 3rd row is legitimate. Both are nice to drive. Volvo safety technology is a huge plus for me, and I prefer the Volvo implementation of CarPlay to BMW's (which is very buggy, at least in wireless form).

Edited to add: Audi Q7 is really nice as well.
cablinaggie
AG
minetta said:

I have a 2018 XC90 and love it. My mom had an X5 until a year ago, so I have driven and compared both. XC90 is much roomier - 3rd row is legitimate. Both are nice to drive. Volvo safety technology is a huge plus for me, and I prefer the Volvo implementation of CarPlay to BMW's (which is very buggy, at least in wireless form).

Edited to add: Audi Q7 is really nice as well.
Oh yeah, good call. The Q7 would be in the running for us too except that her sister has one and she doesn't want the same car. I was really surprised by the amount of legroom in the second and third row of the Q7.
PFG
AG
Q7 third row is completely unusable for a normal size adult.
investorAg83
AG
Between the 2 (and this coming from someone that's on their third BMW...not because they crapped out but because I get incredible lease deals on them), get the Volvo. If I could have made the numbers work the same way I did on the BMW, I'd be in a Volvo now.
lotsofhp
AG
Maybe one day I can afford to be in a thread like this

The Volvo looks fantastic.
Dill-Ag13
AG
lotsofhp said:

Maybe one day I can afford to be in a thread like this

The Volvo looks fantastic.

Buy them used (veryyyyy used) and pic a local Indy mechanic to keep in business like I do
B/CS Dreaming
AG
So far so good with our 2018 XC90!

Only complaint is slow start-up time for the radio/back-up camera.

Billy Foster
AG
Just saw that they have trim levels ranging from 45k to 105k on this car. Looks good, but damn, don't see how you justify the higher levels.
Towns03
AG
Dill-Ag13 said:

That Volvo scares me. 5000lb SUV with a tiny two liter that's both turbo'd and blown... longevity doesn't seem feasible but maybe that's just me being old fashioned.
I've heard the Volvo V8 described on a weekend car show as the 'most complicated V8 every built'
MemorialTXAg
PFG said:

Q7 third row is completely unusable for a normal size adult.

You can slide the second row forward to make extra room, but yeah, it's not suited for much more than a ride to/from an airport.
cr
Dill-Ag13 said:

Yeah, it's an interesting decision for sure. That's a lot of weight for that engine.
schmendeler
AG
lotsofhp
AG
schmendeler said:

Gorgeous
Macarthur
Dill-Ag13 said:

Is it any more out of whack than an F-150 w/ a 2.7?
Dill-Ag13
AG
hnnnnnngggg
Cardiag
AG
My wife has a 2013 XC60 that has been perfect. My brother had 2017 XC90 that he had to lemon law. His replacement however has been a good car. Volvo's problem seems to be unreliability from vehicle to vehicle.

His XC90 is a very nice ride. X5s are kind of ho hum unless you're talking top of the line.
The Fife
schmendeler said:

Candidate for future Mrs Fife's car. Those things hold value like crazy though.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Macarthur said:

Dill-Ag13 said:

Is it any more out of whack than an F-150 w/ a 2.7?

Sort of. Volvo comes in at 4,300 lbs. screw lariat comes in at 4500lbs. Ford is 4.7% heavier with 35% more engine displacement. Now if someone buys an F150 with the 2.7 and tows a lot? Well then they're an idiot
752bro4
AG
Looking for the wife a new SUV and this is a possibility. Anyone have an opinion of this vs. MB GLE 350 or or GX 460?

So far, these are the only ones that she likes the looks of. She's always had a MB, so it's (unfortunately) leading the pack. Towing and 3rd seat are irrelevant, and will never be utilized. The other question will be if whatever we replace her C-class with will fit in the garage alongside my QX80 and still have room to open doors.
investorAg83
AG
I'd go Volvo. MB is definitely a preference thing...you either love them or you don't, IMO. And I can't stand them. Love BMW but I've never liked MB.

The Lexus is worth a look though. My wife liked the Lexus more than the Volvo.
reddog90
AG
My wife was obsessed with the xc90 for years and bought one new in 2014 (before we were married). She's not really a car person. It's paid off now and gets her to work and back just fine, so we'll keep it for now. But we are both unhappy with it and definitely plan to change vehicles once we have kids. My guess is we'll be looking at used RX or GX, but I'd really like to get her in a used 200 series LC.
investorAg83
AG
Another thread on here had me looking at the Lincoln Aviator that supposed to hit this summer. Looks really good...curious to see the price tag on it. Another luxury 7 passenger SUV to throw in the mix.
JeepWaveEarl
AG
Wait for the Aviator to come out!
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
ktownag08 said:

Wife liked the GX until she saw the interior that's badly in need of a refresh.
The outdated interior is worth not having to be in the shop constantly
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.