Looking for a 396

2,706 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by mrad85
stbabs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Restoring a 70 chevelle and cloning to an SS.
Need engine and ****** to replace the original 350.
Several 454s around but prefer a 396.
A Turbo 400 ****** would be nice too.
Any leads appreciated.

I know, why not leave it original? This is a one owner, family heirloom. I bought it new.

The family voted and we're cloning.
stbabs
AG
OMG!!! "Tr - - y" auto corrects to *****!!!!

Let's try "transmission."

Hell of a world!!
Ag for Life
AG
Rule 1!
lb3
AG
Ag for Life
AG
lb3 said:

Since you're not staying original, why not build a restomod?

Leave the carb and points behind and go with a modern fuel injected engine. That said, my father was a car guy and always claimed the 393 Chevelles had the hottest engine of the muscle car era.
Yep. The 396's power can be easily eclipsed by any LS. Since it's not my money I vote for a big cube LSX swap!
Tumble Weed
Glad that you won't ruin it with an LS. This car needs a carb and a nasty cam.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVY-396-SBC-STROKER-ENGINE-558-HP-MAHLE-FLAT-TOP-PISTONS-CRATE-MOTOR-/192037787745
RynoAg
AG
Nothing to contribute. I'm just here for pics. 70 Chevelles are the tits! Love the idea of going with a 396 rather than full LSX restomod.
?cid=4bf119fc5c0abb80433138556f020c4e
Duncan Idaho
Are you looking for a used one?
Aren't Chevy crate engines pretty much available from any speed shop?
stbabs
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

You're right, crate engines are available but I prefer a used one to build myself. May have to settle for a crate but going to try to find a used one first.

stbabs
AG
Ag for Life said:

Rule 1!

Pics to follow, as soon as I figure out this whole Imgur thing. Never posted pics before.

Until then, visualize the body on a rotisserie and the frame in the sandblast booth.
Duncan Idaho
That makes sense. Lot more rewarding getting a block, a crank and box of balanced parts from the machinist and putting it all back together.
TxSquarebody
Buying a crate and doing a cam swap will probably be cheaper than a full on build unless you go full out nasty with the engine. If I were going to build an SS clone, I'd go full on LS6 454 SS with an M22.

EDIT: Don't let my, or anyone else, influence how YOU build YOUR car!
Floor it until you see God
Ag for Life
AG
stbabs said:

Duncan Idaho said:

You're right, crate engines are available but I prefer a used one to build myself. May have to settle for a crate but going to try to find a used one first.

Where are you located? Republic Custom Engine in Garland is who I used for my two 5.7 LS builds. Mike is a great guy and can do as little or as much as you want. He also does any type of engine from vintage stuff to LS and beyond. He is always getting engines moved in and out so he might have an idea on a 396.

Here's one on CL:
https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/pts/d/69396-big-block-chevrolet/6748259054.html

One in Belton, TX but an older listing:
https://killeen.craigslist.org/pts/d/chevy-396-bb-enginehi-perf/6713462239.html
Duncan Idaho
TxSquarebody said:

Buying a crate and doing a cam swap will probably be cheaper than a full on build unless you go full out nasty with the engine. If I were going to build an SS clone, I'd go full on LS6 454 SS with an M22.

EDIT: Don't let my, or anyone else, influence how YOU build YOUR car!

I put a lot of value on pointing to the engine and saying "I built that". It is stupid but I'd rather spend an extra couple Grand buying tools, supplies and parts to build my engine vs dropping in a crate.

TxSquarebody
I'm right there with you in the "Built not Bought" crowd! Building an engine is somewhat therapeutic and a very personal part; it's our signature on the project! As I get older, however, I'm finding more value in my design over who assembles it. Most of us don't mind letting the upholstery shop build a seat based on our design.
stbabs
AG
AgforLife, thanks for the links. I'll check em out.
I'm in the Nacogdoches area.

Thanks to all for the comments/opinions.

I'll provide updates as the resto progresses. Pics when I master the process.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Get a 572 crate motor instead. Problem solved.

I would never opt for a 396 over a 454 if given the choice.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Also, if you really plan to drive it, get a 700r4 over a turbo 350 or 400 trans. No downside to having a 4 speed auto. The cost difference has to be negligible.
stbabs
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

Would like to hear your rationale for 454 over 396.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
It's been a few years since I looked, but I think getting parts for the 454 is easier and cheaper than the 396. That's something to keep in mind. Best thing my dad ever did to his 68 Chevelle was drop a 454 in it. It's been so much more fun to drive. No replacement for displacement, and I'm fairly certain the 454 was always more powerful than the 396.

But hey, your car, you do you.
TxSquarebody
stbabs said:

Giving info on SS cars since this is what you are building. There was an SS396 with 350 hp and the TH400. An additional option was the LS6 454 rated at 360hp with an available M22 4-speed. As said above, no replacement for displacement, SS454 badges are available, both engines are big blocks and take up the same space. Most parts are interchangeable, but there is a greater selection of cranks, rods, and pistons for the 454. Also, late model peanut port heads on the 454 flow great without having to budget for aftermarket heads. Overall, choosing a 454 over a 396 seems to be a better option considering performance will be better for virtually identical cost.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
If you get your hands on a 396, you would have to do significant machine work on it, and if you're going to do machine work, you're likely boring over and using a stroker kit. As someone else said, there is no replacement for displacement. Parts are cheaper and you can run a bigger cam if you want to do that.

I would go LSX if it were me, but If I were going to go classic, I'd buy a crate GM 454 with a mild cam and fuel inject it. Carbureted cars are such a pain in the ass, even with expensive carbs like Quick Fuel Q series. If you drive your classic infrequently, it just sort of sucks. There is something to be said for instant turn over and getting on your way.

Spend the money on four wheel disc, power steering, a solid drive shaft and. 12 bolt. I also don't want to be a person to discourage you, but you should also ask yourself if you are really going to drive it and enjoy it. I've dropped $65K in a classic car that I put 400 miles a year on. I don't drive it because I'm afraid to park it anywhere and everyone else I know that's a car but is into high end German, Japanese, and Italian cars. I'm not going to go on a road trip with my friend in his F430 for example. I can't sell it for anything close to what I've invested and I have the storage space, so it's kind of just sitting there. I'll drive it early on Sundays when the weather is nice to get Starbucks. Oh yeah, smelling like gas all day afterwards is a great reason to go EFI.
stbabs
AG
Ok, I have a lot to consider.
Thanks again to all who provided ideas/opinions.

The history of this car is a player in my decision.

It's a member of the family; bought it new. Wife and I drove away from our wedding in it. In my 31 year military career it saw lots of geography before I stored it in Dad's barn in about 1982. I pulled it out for an original "keep it Malibu" restoration in 86 and it had two "freshen up" paint jobs before that. After restoration it sat in parking lots when two sons drove it while at A&M, thus the reason it has some cancer at the bottom of the back window.

Strong consideration for keeping it original but the SS urge is too strong.

As to 396 vs 454; I want the SS feel and some cam rumble but nothing wild.

I have access to a rebuildable 454 with all the fixtures and a Turbo 400. Guy is asking $1,800. Haven't pursued it because I was thinking 396.

$30,000, regardless the engine decision mine will end up like yours; a "dry day only" and "no parking lots" car but no Starbucks. I'm a Foldgers guy, no fru fru coffee for this old guy!!

And, like yours, I estimate $65K with SS clone costs.
I have $3K in it already and it hasn't even been sandblasted yet. You're right, NEVER expect to get your money back from a restoration. Few do. Not an issue. This one will pass to kids and grandkids.

I'll open a separate thread to track progress.

Maximus_Meridius
AG
stbabs said:

As to 396 vs 454; I want the SS feel and some cam rumble but nothing wild.

I have access to a rebuildable 454 with all the fixtures and a Turbo 400. Guy is asking $1,800. Haven't pursued it because I was thinking 396.

Keep in mind that proper selection of cam, intake, and heads will have a lot to do with how crazy the motor is, and that applies to any engine. My dad's aforementioned 454 is an old truck engine that we rebuilt basically to stock condition, but with a slightly more aggressive cam just to keep things interesting. It's got a Q-jet carb on top. It can sit for a month or more, he jumps in, turns the key and away it goes. It's been a terrific engine. If you'd like, I can grab the specs for the cam and heads when I drive home in a couple weeks. And this is a man whose first car was a beautiful 68 SS 396. And he has said repeatedly that he thinks this engine is better.

I think that's an ok deal on the engine, though I think it would depend on the actual condition of the short block.

In any case, definitely make a thread to keep track so we can live vicariously through you. Always nice to see Chevelles here.
Goose
AG
stbabs said:

I'll open a separate thread to track progress.

Please do!
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Second! Would love to follow your build. I love to see these things come to life.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
I got a sixty-nine Chevy with a 396
Fuelie heads and a Hurst on the floor
She's waiting tonight down in the parking lot
Outside the Seven-Eleven store
Me and my partner Sonny built her straight out of scratch
And he rides with me from town to town
We only run for the money, got no strings attached
We shut 'em up and then we shut 'em down
aggieforester05
AG
Texas Speed LSX 454, could even slap a carb on there if you so desire.
Silvy
AG
TxSquarebody
LSx engines are no doubt far superior to the old school stuff. That being said, nothing sounds or feels like a solid cam BBC. One thing I have learned restoring cars is most people are restoring memories. New camaros and vettes exist to create new memories.
Centerpole90
AG
Dammit Silvy.
mrad85
AG
I may know where there is a 396 available. I should know by the end of the week.
stbabs
AG
Thanks! I'll be watching.
Rattler12
TxSquarebody said:

stbabs said:

Giving info on SS cars since this is what you are building. There was an SS396 with 350 hp and the TH400. An additional option was the LS6 454 rated at 360hp with an available M22 4-speed. As said above, no replacement for displacement, SS454 badges are available, both engines are big blocks and take up the same space. Most parts are interchangeable, but there is a greater selection of cranks, rods, and pistons for the 454. Also, late model peanut port heads on the 454 flow great without having to budget for aftermarket heads. Overall, choosing a 454 over a 396 seems to be a better option considering performance will be better for virtually identical cost.
Agreed. I rebuilt a truck 454 for the 83 SB square and mated it to a NV4500 5 speed with 3:73 posi in the back.. It had the 249 "peanut" port heads on it but I bought a set of 788's and put on before installing it. Thinkin about going back to the 249's. A lot more low end torgue It has a 224/232 510/540 cam in it so I don't know how well that would work with the peanut ports the original truck was an inline, 3 on the tree, open diff with 2:76's. Quite the difference in performance and 10 mpg to boot. Woo hoo. Lot's of after market parts for the 454 and at somewhat reasonable $$$$'s.
mrad85
AG
I haven't given up hope on a rebuildable 396, but my dad has a blueprinted 400 that's never been put together.

Long story short, BIL races up in the panhandle area, he bought the engine but gave up the sport before he ever got it installed.
If it's something you might be interested in, just let me know and I'll get more details
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.