Rental question

763 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ABATTBQ11
ABATTBQ11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I got rear ended a few weeks ago and finally got my truck back yesterday. I left the rental at the shop last night, and I got a call this morning about a dent in the bumper that I didn't put there and don't remember being there when I left it. What are my options?
Flaith
AG
Did you happen to take pics of the car as-is when you left it?

IIRC rental car companies aren't responsible for the car until they check it back in the next morning, in the case of an overnight drop off. You may not have much leverage here unless you have proof.
ABATTBQ11
AG
I didn't take pics. I wish I had. I'd be willing to bet someone dinged it in the parking lot because it was really crowded. I guess it'll be Allstate's problem.

ETA: No pics at drop off, but plenty on pick up. Saved my butt.
The Wonderer
AG
Flaith said:

Did you happen to take pics of the car as-is when you left it?

IIRC rental car companies aren't responsible for the car until they check it back in the next morning, in the case of an overnight drop off. You may not have much leverage here unless you have proof.
This.

Did you use a credit care for the rental? Some of them (AmEx) provide free rental coverage.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
I always walk around the car with the agent when I return it
BigRobSA
Had something similar happen.

Credit Card = insurance = "Not my problem, sir.".
"The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was never designed to restrain the people. It was designed to restrain the government."
ABATTBQ11
AG
I forgot to update this...

I went back to enterprise and asked to see the truck. They said it had already gone to the body shop for a repair estimate, but they could show me pictures. I said sure, and the girl behind the counter pulled out her phone and showed me a dented bumper, loose piece of plastic trim, and cracked fog lamp.

Then I pulled out my phone and showed her a picture of a dented bumper, loose piece of plastic trim, and cracked fog lamp dated the day I picked it up. Then I asked for a receipt showing that I and my insurance company owed nothing and that it was returned in the same condition that it left in.

**** you enterprise.
ABATTBQ11
AG
I wasn't paying. USAA was because their kid hit me. It was covered under my own insurance, but I didn't want to have to file and see my rates go up.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

I forgot to update this...

I went back to enterprise and askd to see the truck. They said it had already gone to the body shop for a repair estimate, but they could show me pictures. I said sure, and the girl behind the counter pulled out her phone and showed me a dented bumper, loose piece of plastic trim, and cracked fog lamp.

Then I pulled out my phone and showed her a picture of a dented bumper, loose piece of plastic trim, and cracked fog lamp dated the day I picked it up. Then I asked for a receipt showing that I and my insurance company owed nothing and that it was returned in the same condition that it left in.

**** you enterprise.

So you DID take photos when you picked it up.

Awesome
ABATTBQ11
AG
Dropped it off with the body shop. It was after the enterprise office I got it from had closed, so no option to do a walk around. I'll always take tons of pictures in that case now, but at least I documented it really well before I originally left with it and had a nice close up of it already being there.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Oh yeah. I took a ton of photos. I especially got that area because the girl (very new) who was checking it out to me noticed the loose trim. I took photos while she went in to make sure it was good to go out. She was told that it was and they had the damage documented on a report already.

So they knew about it and were trying to stick me with it. When they originally called, I mentioned that there was already damage there when I picked it up, but they insisted it was new. I think they missed it and were trying to get someone else to pay for it so it wouldn't come out of their pockets.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.