Jeep JL Body Bolts

786 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by longeryak
Mule_lx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I bought a pair of Ace Engineering Rock sliders. After waiting a month to receive them, a buddy of mine tried to put them on yesterday. I used a breaker bar to loosen one of the body bolts, and it came out about 2" and then just seemed to be free spinning. We applied downward pressure to it, and it still wouldn't come out. I ended up retorquing it and calling it a day.

It doesn't seem to be a hard job if the bolts would just come out. Does anyone have any experience or tricks for this? I saw a few suggestions online, but I trust y'all more. OR would it just be easier to take it by a Jeep shop and pay them a little to do it (anyone have a recommendation in the Round Rock area)?
longeryak
On my JKU it took downward force from a pry bar to pop them thru the bushing once loose. Once I figured it out it took only 2-3 minutes per bolt. Before I figured out out I had the same experience as you.
Mule_lx
AG
All the youtube videos have them coming right off.
Mule_lx
AG
Did you pry them when they started to free spin?
longeryak
Mule_lx said:

Did you pry them when they started to free spin?
As soon as I had space for the pry bar I started putting downward pressure on that big washer. Pry bar may not be the correct name as it is about 20-24" long. Nail bar?
Mule_lx
AG
As you applied pressure, did you keep turning the bolt until it came out?
longeryak
^^^^

Yes.
Mule_lx
AG
Thank. I'm going to give it another try next week. Any trouble getting the bolts back in?
longeryak
^^^
None
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.