Rec new head unit

2,034 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Aero95
JSKolache
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone get a new head unit recently that they enjoy? My 10yr old factory 6 disc (!!) changer unit is fritzing out, so I'm on the hunt.

Looking for a screen with android auto and/or direct screen mirror. Crutchfield has a few & I'm seeing lots of chinese junk on Amazon - any gems in the mix there?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
What kind of car?
JAW3336
AG
my two cents, android auto sucks. I would not make that a criteria.
lb3
AG
Willis
AG
I have a JVC KW-730BT. I like it a lot. I use apple CarPlay so I can't speak to android.
JSKolache
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

What kind of car?
08 Tundra
TX_AG_10
AG
No offense to the other poster, but my $0.02 is Android Auto is awesome. I use AA with my Pixel 2 and have no issues and is a pleasant experience. Maybe it's worse with other phones? I used to run AA with a Note 5 and it worked as advertised. I've had the Pioneer 4100NEX and 4200NEX. Both a great models and will be good. If you do have a pixel phone, the newer Pioneer models offer wireless android auto. Can't comment on how well those work.
The Fife
Nakamichi CD-400
green7
Do you have the JBL sound system in your truck, steering wheel controls, backup camera?

It takes a few other things to maintain the factory feel. I have an older Pioneer NEX which I like. I was able to get it connected into my backup camera and retain my steering wheel controls. I ended up bi-passing my factory JBL amp and running speaker wire directly to the doors as I was tired of the terrible stock speakers.

It is somewhat of a PIA with those trucks and the integrated JBL system but after a lot of reading and basic stereo know how it is not bad.

Good info here:

http://www.toyotatundraforum.com/vbcms-comments/1747-pioneer-avic-z2-nav-install-lots.html

and here

https://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/audio-and-stereo/57804-common-signal-lines-for-2007-tundra/
JAW3336
AG
The problem isn't how well it works. The problem is it locks you out of your phone while AA is on.

pita
green7
Just get a bypass so your head until always thinks your car is in park. At least that is how it works on my pioneer. $10 on amazon or you could probably DIY free.

TX_AG_10
AG
Not on my version. It says swipe up to unlock. And I can get to anything on my phone, unless that app is running on AA. (Maps, music, etc)

Edit: https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/android-auto-swipe-to-unlock/
JAW3336
AG
cool, it has been about a year since I tried it.
Aero95
AG
I've been out of this arena for years...what are the current best choices for sound quality, and hopefully with solid/quality hardware...ie knobs and buttons that inspire confidence instead of feeling flimsy? I would prefer an HD radio tuner as well.

This would be for a full system replacement, so pre-amp outputs and no on-board amp would be fine or even preferred. Also want at least Bluetooth connectivity, but full-up integration isn't required. Bonus points if there is support or adapters for OEM steering wheel controls.
agdoc2001
AG
Get whichever model in the Pioneer AVH-xxxxNEX series that has the features you want. I have them in both my vehicles. I replaced a comparable Kenwood and the Pioneer was much hetter.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Aero95
AG
The AVH models don't appear to have a volume knob! Ugh. I still prefer knobs for volume and tuning, but acknowledge I can't get that in tuning any more.

In what way did you think the pioneer was better than the kenwood, and which model did you have?
Tx95Ag
AG
I have a pioneer 4200nex that I like pretty well. No knob for volume, but it retains steering wheel controls (with adapter) so no big deal.

What I hate on android auto is that when I make a call it turns on "private mode" and I can't hear the other person until I turn it off. There is a slight delay after they answer and before I can turn it off.

Best Buy has a display where you can mess with several different brands head unit to see what features you prefer. Then you can order from Crutchfield.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
I've used Kenwood and Pioneer almost exclusively for my head units.

Kenwood units are great if you need Nav because they use Garmin interface. The map updates are pricey, but you can always buy a 'backup' of the latest maps from independent sellers on ebay for 1/4 of the cost that come on a microSD card.

I had a few high end Pioneers in my Land Cruisers that I really like, but the interface for nav isnt as good as the Kenwood ones.
Duncan Idaho
I had Android auto in the rental last week. I don't know if it was a Samsung problem, an AirWatch problem or an Android auto problem but the second my screen went to the Android auto side to unlock screen, every GPS app it tried would stop updating my location. It made driving around Boston a ****ing hassle. Ended up having to buy a phone mount for the rental.
Aero95
AG
Has anyone used the Android-based units?

Example: https://www.jandtdistributing.com/products/dynavinn7e46bmw3series1998-2006?variant=43864315021

Curious about sound quality. Form factor and features look great, and these have several generations of evolution now. From my reading it seems most people care about app support and nav and not sound quality.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Aero95 said:

Has anyone used the Android-based units?

Example: https://www.jandtdistributing.com/products/dynavinn7e46bmw3series1998-2006?variant=43864315021

Curious about sound quality. Form factor and features look great, and these have several generations of evolution now. From my reading it seems most people care about app support and nav and not sound quality.
I bought one of these for my Toyota Crown (GS300) when I was in China.

The functions are ok, if a little clunky, and depending on the brand you get, there's often times lots of Chinglish, terrible sound processing and lots of freezing up.

Aero95
AG
Thanks for that report. My impression is that some of them are better than others. Do you think all of the hardware is identical, or are there actually different factories/specs/units out there? Some of them have different OS versions, and it seems the more expensive ones might have better specs and presumably more refined software. I could be way off. The price range varies 100% or more, so I hope it is for better quality and not just marketing.

But if they all sound like crap I'm not interested. I'd rather have a plain radio with awesome SQ vs a good screen and apps.
agdoc2001
AG
Aero95 said:

The AVH models don't appear to have a volume knob! Ugh. I still prefer knobs for volume and tuning, but acknowledge I can't get that in tuning any more.

In what way did you think the pioneer was better than the kenwood, and which model did you have?
The software and interface. The interface on the Kenwood was ugly. It looks like it's from the late 90s. I, like 1ags, got it only for the Garmin interface, but now that you can display Waze over Apple or Android Auto there's no point in buying a unit with a GPS module unless you frequently drive places without a cellphone signal.

There's a deal on the 4400NEX - $345 after rebate.

https://slickdeals.net/f/12167143-pioneer-avh-w4400nex-navigation-dvd-cd-7-touchscreen-receiver-345-after-5-promo-code-150-manufacturer-s-rebate-and-165-newegg-gift-card-free-s-h-345-25?v=1

Sound quality depends infinitely more on your amp and speakers than the head unit. It's just like you're home theater, changing your AV receiver will barely affect sound quality, but changing the speakers can have a profound effect.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Aero95
AG
I end up ordering the Dynavin N7. It is made specifically for my model BMW in terms of OEM-look since it matches the dash contours and will plug into the factory HK system. It has high quality DAC and other components, and most importantly, a volume knob! Also has phone integration, USB and aux inputs, retains factory steering wheel controls, etc...checks most of the boxes for me.

Plugging into the stock system is phase one for me. I'm planning an interior swap (color change) later in the winter and at that time I'll add a real amp, sub, and swap all the speakers out to something much better. The Dynavin also has 4V pre-outs and some fancy processing options, time alignment, etc. Hopefully it will be everything I'm hoping for...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.