Pickup truck selection questions

3,945 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Drip99
FHKPLEX03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Will soon be in the market for a new vehicle and am leaning towards the F-150. Already have the Ford contacts from this board.
Needs to be full size/ supercrew to comfortably accommodate customers.
I drive 35-40k miles per year, obviously mostly highway, so would prefer the most fuel efficient engine, looks like the 2.7L V6
2WD, minimal towing, occasional 4 wheeler in the bed, the longer bed would be nice but it looks to only come in certain models
Not really concerned about high level trim packages and features, plus with the miles I drive I'll probably need to replace it every 3 or 4 years so I'm thinking the best bang for my buck would be an XLT and then get aftermarket Katzkin leather seats or similar so that it doesn't feel too much like a fleet or service truck

Any other brand or trim package suggestions from the Auto board?
bkag9824
AG
Stx with carpet & the aftermarket leather?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Email me for contact. username@gmail.com

I also may be interested in selling my 2WD STX with leather (need 4WD).
The Lost
FHKPLEX03 said:

so I'm thinking the best bang for my buck would be an XLT and then get aftermarket Katzkin leather seats or similar so that it doesn't feel too much like a fleet or service truck

And people wonder how trucks got so expensive....

As others have said, the stx package is a great bang for your buck. It's what I drive and love it. To me it's s truck and supposed to be dirty, not fancy, but what do I know \_()_/
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Have you heard anything on the new diesel f150s? I haven't read much outside of a few articles over the summer. Just curious...

Sorry for the derail
Corps_Ag12
AG
If you're going for new, you could always order one with a 6.5' bed in your favorite configuration from 1ags contact.
FHKPLEX03
AG
bkag9824 said:

Stx with carpet & the aftermarket leather?
will look more into the STX package. I'll admit to not having reviewed that one yet.
FHKPLEX03
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Email me for contact. username@gmail.com

I also may be interested in selling my 2WD STX with leather (need 4WD).
done
reproag
AG
Contact info is in profile.
FHKPLEX03
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Have you heard anything on the new diesel f150s? I haven't read much outside of a few articles over the summer. Just curious...

Sorry for the derail
my understanding of the F-150 diesel is that it will cost $3-4k more to purchase and the main benefit is better fuel economy in particular while towing. I won't be towing that often and with gas at $2.50/gallon, driving 40K miles/year, 2.7L gas V6 at 25-26mpg hwy vs 3.0L V6 diesel at 30mpg hwy, you save $666 per year. That's not factoring in the higher price of diesel as well as higher maintenance costs. Diesel option seems more cost beneficial to those who find themselves towing more often.
FHKPLEX03
AG
Corps_Ag12 said:

If you're going for new, you could always order one with a 6.5' bed in your favorite configuration from 1ags contact.
Thanks. Will look into that option
FHKPLEX03
AG
reproag said:

Thanks reproag. I like the Toyotas but the fuel economy is killer. Good to have another Ford contact.
10andBOUNCE
AG
That's a lot of miles to be putting annually on a new vehicle IMO
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Yeah, sorry for the thread hijack. I just hadn't heard anything about them and was curious if 1agswitchin4lanes has.

I drive a boost now and have a hard time thinking my next truck will be anything but a boost. Good luck!
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
FHKPLEX03 said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

Sorry for the derail
my understanding of the F-150 diesel is that it will cost $3-4k more to purchase and the main benefit is better fuel economy in particular while towing. I won't be towing that often and with gas at $2.50/gallon, driving 40K miles/year, 2.7L gas V6 at 25-26mpg hwy vs 3.0L V6 diesel at 30mpg hwy, you save $666 per year. That's not factoring in the higher price of diesel as well as higher maintenance costs. Diesel option seems more cost beneficial to those who find themselves towing more often.
Diesel is only available in LAriat, KR and Plat Trim and is 4500ish more than the standard engine.

29mpg in 2WD guise, but 25 in 4WD.

FHKPLEX03
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Yeah, sorry for the thread hijack. I just hadn't heard anything about them and was curious if 1agswitchin4lanes has.

I drive a boost now and have a hard time thinking my next truck will be anything but a boost. Good luck!
no worries. I originally had looked at the ecodiesel due to the reportedly higher EPA mileage ratings but after I ran all the #s it just didn't seem the right fit for me personally. I'm sure it works great for others with differing driving styles and requirements.
FHKPLEX03
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

That's a lot of miles to be putting annually on a new vehicle IMO
Tell me about it. I had considered having 2 cars. A $25 - 30k-ish mid or full size sedan for work that gets replaced every few years plus a basic truck for personal use that could conceivably last 10+ years, but the total cost of ownership doesn't seem to justify that scenario.
I'm still evaluating everything but right now it seems a $40k-ish truck that covers all my needs is the favored option.
Just read up on the STX and I like it. (basically an XL with some appearance upgrades that get it closer to an XLT but without the full XLT price bump).
reproag
AG
FHKPLEX03 said:

reproag said:

Thanks reproag. I like the Toyotas but the fuel economy is killer. Good to have another Ford contact.
Yes MPG is a killer on the Tundra for most. I avg 17.5 in mine. The 2.7 boost seams like a good choose for you and can pull 7,600 to 9,000 depending on configuration.
JP76
How about a $35,000 new 4.6 Tundra?

It will only get 20 mpg on the highway versus 25 claimed on the ecoboost. So $1,000 more a year in fuel in exchange for higher resale and reliability. Seems like a wash to me.
htxag09
AG
I wouldn't be surprised if rebates start trickling in on the diesels. Just not moving like they thought they would at that price point. As said, only advantage is really fuel economy. And you'll never make it up with the price gap.
Ogre09
AG
Ram Ecodiesel?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
JP76 said:

It will only get 20 mpg on the highway versus 25 claimed on the ecoboost. So $1,000 more a year in fuel in exchange for higher resale and reliability. Seems like a wash to me.
I thought the 4.6 got just as bad fuel economy as the 5.7? I am not a Tundra person, so I genuinely dont know and am curious.
Picard
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

JP76 said:

I thought the 4.6 got just as bad fuel economy as the 5.7? I am not a Tundra person, so I genuinely dont know and am curious.

Correct, they are both Toyotas.
Goodest Poster
AG
Just got a new STX. Aftermarket heated and cooling leather seats was 2300. Walked out for $28,600. 2 inch lift/level and realign ($350) Swapped the 20s out and put Nitro grapplers(33s), powdercoated rims to match truck. Bull bar, husky floor mats. Nov,6, my lights go in to get smoked and get my bed cover. My last 4 trucks in order went King Ranch, Lariat, XLT with 302A, and now this. The older KR was my favorite, but this one is easily 2nd.

Only thing i wish i had done differently is the engine. My last truck was 5.0 and didnt care for it so i went back to boost. My next one will be a 5.0 so i can put the Rousch 650hp turbo on it. Looks like most aftermarket enhances for boost arent too popular.

TLDR: go get what you like, that you can afford. Theyre all luxury vehicles nowadays.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Where'd you get aftermarket heated & cooled seats? Is it the katskinz degrees kit?

Inquiring minds would like to know!
Drip99
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

JP76 said:

Yep but you wont have to dump the Toyota after 3-4 years saving you money on the cost of a new vehicle, your resale/trade in value will be higher and your vehicle will be in your driveway and not the service center when you need it.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Huh... sounds like my 14' f150. 100k and only one trip to service center (outside of brakes) for new plugs that I wanted put in at 60K.

Ford makes a good product too...
htxag09
AG
Or my '11 F-150 that's still going strong with 150,000 miles. I bought it for $31 and it's worth ~$15k trade in now. Not a bad depreciation for 7+ years, either
reproag
AG
Corps_Ag12 said:

Where'd you get aftermarket heated & cooled seats? Is it the katskinz degrees kit?

Inquiring minds would like to know!

Yes. You can get leather, leather & heated or leather heated and cooled. Allout offroad does a good job.
Goodest Poster
AG
htxag09 said:

Or my '11 F-150 that's still going strong with 150,000 miles. I bought it for $31 and it's worth ~$15k trade in now. Not a bad depreciation for 7+ years, either

Or my 2015 F150 i paid 34k and just sold last week for 32k.
Invariably, any product that does exponential volume compared to competitors will have more issues. This day in age,i dont think the "Toyota makes a better truck" argument applies. Maybe at certain intervals in the past- not now.

Other guy answered the question. Yes the aftermarket I chose was Katskinz. It was about 1200 cheaper than hecho de mano hombre. Texas Auto Trim, $2300, 4 days.
JP76
htxag09 said:

If you have a dealer offering 15k for that truck you are getting hosed on the new vehicle price.

Enter all your information for trade in for your 2011

Now enter the same information for a 2011 tundra

The trade in will be minimum 40% more than the ford especially after 7 years.

JP76
ttha_aggie_09 said:

JP76 said:

In my real life driving experience the 4.6 gets about 2 mpg better than the 5.7

Also is about $3,000-$3,500 less up front on purchase.

htxag09
AG
I've done enough due diligence that when I do purchase, if I do, I can assure you I won't get "hosed".
AgToadie
jftx04 said:

Just got a new STX. Aftermarket heated and cooling leather seats was 2300. Walked out for $28,600. 2 inch lift/level and realign ($350) Swapped the 20s out and put Nitro grapplers(33s), powdercoated rims to match truck. Bull bar, husky floor mats. Nov,6, my lights go in to get smoked and get my bed cover. My last 4 trucks in order went King Ranch, Lariat, XLT with 302A, and now this. The older KR was my favorite, but this one is easily 2nd.

Only thing i wish i had done differently is the engine. My last truck was 5.0 and didnt care for it so i went back to boost. My next one will be a 5.0 so i can put the Rousch 650hp turbo on it. Looks like most aftermarket enhances for boost arent too popular.

TLDR: go get what you like, that you can afford. Theyre all luxury vehicles nowadays.

Jftx,

Can you break down that out the door price? Was that for a 2wd? After a trade? Wondering if I got hosed on my STX. Seems like $32-35 out the door is the going rate for a 2.7 or 5.0 4x4 STX.

Thanks!
aggiepaintrain
AG
jftx04 said:

2 or 4 door?
Trade equity?
$5k down?

very vague info
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.