Best place to balance mud tires

1,100 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Furlock Bones
MouthBQ98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Mud tires I have on the Nissan are starting to vibrate more at 55-65, so I think a balance is needed. I know to look for a place that can do dynamic balancing.

I actually work not far from a 4wheel parts shop, and a Discount Tire. I was curious if it's worth going to 4wheel for service as opposed to discount?
Street Fighter
AG
What size, anything 35 an less you should be able to take anywhere.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Discount. All they do is tires... the guys at 4WP do everything. Yeah, they see more bigger tires but depending on the discount you go to, they might actually see more. All we worked in College Station was 33" or bigger, or so it seemed.

What brand mud tires are they? Factory wheels?

It shouldn't matter unless you have some really bad wear and are limited on space for tape weights... I've had to deal with some limited clearance due to rotors before. The tires have to get really bad before you start slapping 5-6ounces on there.
MouthBQ98
AG
Nah, just little 32's. Maxxis buckshot II. Grippy as hell, but they are pretty rough at highway speeds.

Incidentally, how hard is it to set backlash? I am thinking about going from factory 4.63 ring and pinion to 5.13. Get me closer back to the original ratio with the factory tire diameter.

I'd prefer 4.9 but those are hard to find. 5.13 is probably closer to original really.
Silvy
AG
Setting backlash is fairly easy,can just be a bit time consuming to achieve proper backlash while maintaining good carrier preload.

Setting pinion depth and then pinion preload is more difficult.
MouthBQ98
AG
Never done any of that before. Is it something I could learn from reading and YouTube videos, or would it require some training and experience?
Silvy
AG
I learned it from YouTube vids and reading instructions lol

I was able to buy a $30 tool to help with calculating the shim for pinion depth. Setting initial pinion depth is usually more guesswork and then reading the pattern of the gears to determine if you need to move the pinion. Or, buy the $500+ tool.

http://www.ratechmfg.com/pinion%20setting%20tool.htm
CATAGBQ04
AG
My 37" KM2s balanced out fine on your run of the mill balancer...nothing special.

Mud tires will require a bit more attention over their lifespan to keep balanced.
JP76
I would get them road force balanced at discount. If they are an agressive tire you will probably have to rotate every 3,000-5,000 to get longest lifespan.
Furlock Bones
AG
I'm running Yokohama Geolander MT G003 on the Heep. they honestly have been the best mix of on highway and offroad performance i've tried for a full mud terrain style tire.

also check out the Cooper STT Pros. a ton of great reviews.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.