2018 Dodge 1500 - Ecodiesel

1,687 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by NavalAg05
Badman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm considering getting one of these and wanted to get y'alls opinion. I noticed they aren't offering this on the 2019 models. Is this a red flag, or just a temporary glitch?

I've heard the complaints about it not being as fast, but that's not a big concern for me.

I will only be hauling a travel trailer occasionally. The rest of my time will be spent just running around town.

I'm also new to the diesel world, so any advice on that front would be welcomed as well.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
If you want speed, get a V8 or an Ecoboost F150.

The only bad thing I have heard about the ecodiesel is the EGR system once they get some miles/time on them.

2019 Ecodiesel Ram production is slated for Summer 2019. So thats why its not showing on the website.

Otherwise its just the typical Ram stuff, i.e. Interior pieces cracking over time, shifter failures, fire etc.

Street Fighter
AG
And don't forget, it can't pull the Space Shuttle.
Dynamite08
AG
You can find issues with any truck sold today. Personally, I've put 70k on a '15 ecodiesel and like it a lot. Came from an EcoBoost so it took some getting used too (not nearly as quick), but it drives smooth and is as advertised on the MPG. Have several fleet vehicles in our company with the same powertrain that have gone over 100k miles driven hard (oilfield) and no significant issues.

The EGR/DEF issues i have heard of, and i plan on deleting at 85k when my warranty expires on those components. Just drive it and see if you like it.

Aero95
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Otherwise its just the typical Ram stuff, i.e. Interior pieces cracking over time, shifter failures, fire etc.

Maybe the diesel will be harder to catch on fire?
will.mcg
AG
I don't want to spread fear or doubt because I have only heard good things about the EcoDiesel. That being said, a friend's father had one go up in flames. They were going up a hill at about 60 mph, lost all power, then smelled burning. I recall the computer was where the fire started.
AggieRob93
AG
Aero95 said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

Maybe the diesel will be harder to catch on fire?
Yeah, probably harder to catch on fire than the EcoBurst.
Badman
AG
Thanks for the input.
dragons06
AG
FIL had I think a 2015, the engine blew out, don't remember the actual cause. Stranded us halfway to Colorado. Luckily it was still under warranty, dealer felt bad and traded it in for a fair price.
MouthBQ98
AG
Does Dodge have a problem with using fuses to limit overloads?
JD Shellnut
AG
Damn, sorry wrong thread.
NavalAg05
AG
Badman, I bought one about three months ago and really like it. I drive about 30 miles to work in the city and get almost 24 mpg with my 4wd 2018 eco diesel. I was under the impression Ram was going to release a 2019 version, but stopped looking when I bought mine. It does not 'feel' as responsive as my old 4.7 L V8, but it has a lot of power.

I have had an O-2 sensor need replaced and another check engine light pop and then clear on its own. But no other problems, and I was able to get a good price on it!,

Good luck
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.