Used truck from Canada, eh?

1,820 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by fire09
bkag9824
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thoughts on used trucks that were owned in Canada, bought at auction and then brought stateside (or whatever that exact process is)? Looking at a few, but a quick Google fu raises the common sense issue of potential rust from de-icing materials, general tougher wear/tear due to climate, etc. etc. etc.

I know the exchange rate is favorable for importing vehicles from the land of denim tuxedos and french fries and gravy, so should I expect to pay a similar market rate for a U.S. used truck? Or should I theoretically be able to play hard ball for a better than average deal?

On a secondary note... anybody have a 2012 or newer F150 Boost with less than 90k on the odo they're interested in selling? Looking for crew cab, 4x4, preferably long bed, but I know those are the rare exception. I'm in NW CO but I'm willing to travel to take delivery.

One of the hottest Canadians ever for your troubles...

JB
AG
Were the trucks from Quebec?

My 04 is having issues so I spent the week searching Autoatrader for 14-17 F-150 Lariat and KRs, 4wd, 6.5' bed and found 4 in the states but after looking at all the Carfaxes, they were all originally from Quebec. Was actually going to post the same question you just did.
bkag9824
AG
No, one was continuously registered in Calgary. The other was always in Alberta (Red Deer then Ft McMurray then finally Calgary before coming stateside).

Is it feasible to just buy one in Canada then import? They all meet the required regs (otherwise they wouldn't be bringing them over in the numbers there are). It's about same driving time to Calgary or DFW area.

Flights are cheap from Den to Cal. Have a friend I trust in Calgary that's volunteered to go test drive, etc.

Biggest question is financing/buying. Can you finance these things and bring them over? Or just take cash money?
Mookie
AG
I have bought thousands of Canadian cars and imported them. There are lots of rules about what you can or can't bring over as far as models, years, etc but for a personal car it's a little different.

Three things to remember... if you buy a late model car under warranty, your warranty will not be honored here. Two, the equipment used to diagnose issues, esp anything related to ECU stuff is coded diffferent and most places can't read them. Third is that EVERYTHING rusts. Rotors, calipers, everything. And it rusts very quickly and once it starts you can't stop it.

And dont ever trade it in. Worthless here in the states. Make sure you look into conversion of the cluster too. Some states won't let you title and or register in kilos.

You are welcome to email me any other questions direct! I'm like the Tim hortons of the car biz.
bkag9824
AG
Great info, thanks. Checked your profile for email, but didn't see it. I might be blind so forgive me if it's there.
Mookie
AG
Just updated. Happy to help.
hurricanejake02
AG
Mookie said:

if you buy a late model car under warranty, your warranty will not be honored here...
"Can you elaborate?" he says, looking out the window at this 2016 F-150 originally sold in BC...
bkag9824
AG
I knew this going into the thought process as I was looking at vehicles out of warranty coverage. But, in essence, you're hosed hoser.

Check page 4:

2016 Ford Warranty Guide

"DO WARRANTIES APPLY IN OTHER COUNTRIES?

• The New Vehicle Limited Warranty and the Emissions Warranties described in this booklet apply to your vehicle if: it was originally purchased through the Ford Export Operations Military Sales Program; or
  • it was originally sold or leased by Ford Motor Company or one of its dealers in the United States or U.S. Federalized Territories, and it was originally registered/licensed and operated in the United States, U.S. Federalized Territories, or Canada.

If you meet either of these two requirements, you do have warranty coverage when you travel with this vehicle outside the United States, U.S. Federalized Territories, or Canada. In some cases, however, you may have to pay the servicing Ford dealer in a foreign country or U.S. Federalized Territory for a repair that is covered under the U.S. warranty. If this happens, be sure to save the paid repair order or invoice. You should present this document to a U.S. Ford Motor Company dealer for warranty refund consideration. Refer to www.Ford.com for additional customer assistance reference information."

Duncan Idaho
After seeing all for the rusted cars around MSP I can't imagine buying a used truck from anywhere that far north.

Picard
AG
This sounds like a terrible idea

hurricanejake02
AG
That page states that those conditions apply if you need warranty service in another country - it doesn't mention vehicles purchased in Canada that are brought back to the US.
Mookie
AG
It varies by manufacturer, but generally if you were the original owner in Canada and brought the car over for personal use, the original warranty applies. Generally it does not past the second owner.

Biggest issue I used to find was finding a shop that could run codes on the Canadian units.
AZAG08
AG
Mookie what is your email?
bkag9824
AG
I called Ford HQ earlier this year about the subject, and they told me at the time that they will not honor the warranty on a truck originally sold/licensed in Canada and then brought to the U.S.
Mookie
AG
In my profile!
AZAG08
AG
Got it. Thanks
Builder93
AG
Do they throw in the road salts for free?
fire09
AG
ECU can be reflashed by a tuner if needed but, I think OBD code readers are same for US and Canada.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.