starter going out?

1,125 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 91AggieLawyer
trip98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
'12 F150 ecoboost with 111k miles
a few weeks ago when starting it would take just a second or so longer to turnover. Was very sporadic doing this as other times it started right up.
As time has gone on it's happened more regularly. To the point it's a daily occurrence now.

Perfect example is this week. Monday morning takes just a second or two longer to turnover. Monday leaving work same thing. Tuesday morning takes longer to turnover. Tuesday leaving work same thing. However, go straight to kiddos baseball game where truck only sits a couple of hours. After game the truck starts right up.

Drive to auto zone to have battery and alternator tested. They say both are good. Even start it up there and it turns right away.

This morning has the delay turning over again.

I'm thinking maybe the starter is going out?? But would have thought that would have popped up when AZ tested battery and alternator.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Is it a delay in the actuall cranking or its cranking slower?

trip98
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Is it a delay in the actuall cranking or its cranking slower?

actual cranking....I'm assuming this means when from when I turn the key is there a delay and then it cranks.

cranking slower....assuming this means I turn the key and it tries to crank but takes a few cranks before it starts.

then I would say the issue is that it's cranking slower.

there is an immediate response when I turn the key. It's just slower from there.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Slower cranking would point to a battery first.

I do not trust Autozones testing methods or their employees to use the equipment properly. Another member a month ago had the same issue. Car would randomly be dead. Autozone tested it as "good" and it was still dying. He brought it by and the battery had 10 Volts. Bad battery.

I would take it somewhere else to have it tested like Oreilly Auto parts.

If your battery is over 3 years old and you're in Texas, I would venture to assume its reaching the end of its life.
trip98
AG
I'm in Houston. Truck is just over 6 years old and this is battery #2. If I recall correctly I replaced it about 2 years ago. I think I have the receipt somewhere still.
It's an autozone battery so maybe another reason they'd say it's good.
I'll try another place and see what they say.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
trip98 said:

I'm in Houston. Truck is just over 6 years old and this is battery #2. If I recall correctly I replaced it about 2 years ago. I think I have the receipt somewhere still.
It's an autozone battery so maybe another reason they'd say it's good.
I'll try another place and see what they say.
If you have a DVOM, you can also easily check voltage yourself.

Lupac
AG
I had the same issue on my 2010 F150 the last few days. It ended up being the fuel pump.
trip98
AG
okay, so I had a chance to take it to nearby Christian Brothers auto yesterday and here are the results:
12.82v
rated 750 CCA and measured 638.
said 100% charge
some thing they have called "state of health" and rated it 85%.

guy said alternator would be fine with charge at 100%. And that since it's trying to turn over the starter would not be the culprit.

their opinion after test and looking at it was the "acid is slowly seeping out of the top" so therefore with less acid over time it's not able to be as strong.

I don't see any signs of that but I'm not an expert obviously. About the only thing I've noticed on the battery is a little corrossion buildup on the positive terminal (easily knocked off and rinsed with coke plus then sprayed with corrossion X). The top of the battery itself appears a little dirty and the plastic laminate they had on the battery has peeled off a bit. I just figured that was from heat and dust/dirt.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
trip98 said:

okay, so I had a chance to take it to nearby Christian Brothers auto yesterday and here are the results:
12.82v
said 100% charge

guy said alternator would be fine with charge at 100%. And that since it's trying to turn over the starter would not be the culprit.

their opinion after test and looking at it was the "acid is slowly seeping out of the top" so therefore with less acid over time it's not able to be as strong.

I don't see any signs of that but I'm not an expert obviously. About the only thing I've noticed on the battery is a little corrossion buildup on the positive terminal (easily knocked off and rinsed with coke plus then sprayed with corrossion X). The top of the battery itself appears a little dirty and the plastic laminate they had on the battery has peeled off a bit. I just figured that was from heat and dust/dirt.
Remove both terminals and use a wire brush to scrub both terminals and posts, then rinse with water (cup, dont spray).

Dry it off and apply grease liberally and reinstall.

I'm guessing the corrision may be contributing to the slow crank.
O'Doyle Rules
AG
And avoid Christian brothers for auto work
Ramrod
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

trip98 said:

12.82v
said 100% charge

Remove both terminals and use a wire brush to scrub both terminals and posts, then rinse with water (cup, dont spray).

Dry it off and apply grease liberally and reinstall.

I'm guessing the corrision may be contributing to the slow crank.
Any recommendation on what to use to clean corrosion and break the terminal loose? I had a similar situation start during the week, truck was cranking slower so I popped the hood and noticed some corrosion. Stopped at Autozone out of convenience when I was running errands yesterday and picked up a corrosion cleaning kit from the for like $10. When I got back home I couldn't even get the positive terminal loose to pull it off, I got the nut loose but the two pieces under it wouldn't budge.

Truck the truck was cranking even slower yesterday evening and this morning then before.
sts7049
AG
pour a little coke on the terminal
Frisco
AG
They actually make a corrosion remover that works pretty great. Can get it at any parts store
91AggieLawyer
AG
Cola?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.