FUNNY THING HAPPENED WITH #1'S 2014 ESCAPE TODAY

2,559 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by tunefx
VitruvianAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
She had been driving it for a bit, got to red light, engine temperature warning came on, she drove to her destination about 1/4 mile, parked the car for a bit and called to inform me.

I drove to her location with a gallon of rad fluid, just in case. There was a puddle of coolant, not large but it was from her car.

No hose leaks, apparently the reservoir cap has a pressure relief valve and that is were the puddle originated, as far as I could tell. The reservoir was just a bit low, I added a bout a quart.......the Escape's filler cap access is oddly un user friendly, you can't fill it without long bent or flexible funnel or removing the cowl fairing, needless to say I poured it in with a lot of waste as I laid the bottle on it's side.

Turned the A/C off, drove it the 5 minutes home with an eye on the temp gauge, pegged right in the middle the whole time, even after turning the A/C half way home.

Computer brain fart? Failing water pump? Fan glitch?

Anybody have an idea?
VitruvianAg
AG
Forgot to add, had the 50K ml service done, they suggested a coolant replacement and wheel alignment.

Haven't gotten around to it just yet.
aggieforester05
AG
Pinhole in the loop causing a lack of vacuum therefore flow of liquid?

Are the low temp and high temp fans working? My 2007 Mustang GT currently has a problem with the high temp fam and will get really hot if I drive it for a long time period. Haven't had time to properly diagnose it yet. On short drives it stays cool.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Check Fans, Watch Gauge, Coolant isnt really due yet but if its dirty, maybe need to change it. Depends on if people that have been topping it off have been using correct stuff or whatever they had.

VitruvianAg
AG
Don't want to jinx it but it hasn't done it again since.

I'll do the coolant change this weekend.

I'll report further events.
EMY92
AG
My sister had problems with her 2014 Escape. It started around 40,000 miles. She was losing coolant. Car spent a month at the dealership, then sent in Ford techs, and covered the repair and rental.

Then it happened again. Ford did the same.
SA-AG72
AG
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2018/01/03/ford-fix-coolant-leaks-vehicles-recalled-fire-risk/1001090001/
VitruvianAg
AG
After looking into the Ford Recall and calling my service rep I was told that my VIN wasn't in the recall cohort.

So while putting air in the tires, to eliminate the low tire warning I left the hood open to take a look after the task and letting it cool down a bit.

While stepping across the front to fill the opposite front tire I caught a glimpse of a coolant drop come off the reservoir. Took a closer look at the reservoir: see picture two below. There is a crack in the inlet stem.

Showed it to my rep, he said they would look at the whole system and get back to me later tomorrow. We bought the extended warranty to 100K miles, it's @ 50k, rep said the BtoB was expired but that the extended should cover it....we'll see.

Also notice the reservoir can't be filled with out a flexible funnel with out taking the cowl off, kind of dumb design, why not just form the reservoir with the filler toward the front?

VitruvianAg
AG
Final update.

Service tech replaced the reservoir, took it for a spin and let it idle for 45 min finally got a overheat condition and checked everything once more, found a faulty temperature sensor, remove and replaced under warranty but charged me for a coolant flush, kind of ticked about that for $140! Good thing I hadn't done it, may have fought them!

So picked up the car yesterday. Wife beat me home and called me over to her car. "I smell antifreeze", she says. I said too myself, "probably just boiling off spill", "go ahead and open the hood", looked at the new reservoir and whadaya know the small coolant return from the turbo is disconnected and the reservoir is empty. The hose connector has prongs that require spreading (see picture #2) for removal.

Called Serv Rep, told him I would add water and take it back. Service Rep and Tech met us at the drop off, Tech was certain he did everything, apparently the manual calls for a check list of certain procedures on repair such as this and the coolant flush. No idea how the hose would have come off, he put it back on and tugged on it and the rest like he was going to break it.

They kept it overnight for another coolant flush and reevaluation. Dealer is only 10 minutes across Falls Church from where we are, so no big deal.

1agswitchin4lanes
AG
VitruvianAg said:

Final update.

Service tech replaced the reservoir, took it for a spin and let it idle for 45 min finally got a overheat condition and checked everything once more, found a faulty temperature sensor, remove and replaced under warranty but charged me for a coolant flush, kind of ticked about that for $140! Good thing I hadn't done it, may have fought them!

So picked up the car yesterday. Wife beat me home and called me over to her car. "I smell antifreeze", she says. I said too myself, "probably just boiling off spill", "go ahead and open the hood", looked at the new reservoir and whadaya know the small coolant return from the turbo is disconnected and the reservoir is empty. The hose connector has prongs that require spreading (see picture #2) for removal.

Called Serv Rep, told him I would add water and take it back. Service Rep and Tech met us at the drop off, Tech was certain he did everything, apparently the manual calls for a check list of certain procedures on repair such as this and the coolant flush. No idea how the hose would have come off, he put it back on and tugged on it and the rest like he was going to break it.

They kept it overnight for another coolant flush and reevaluation. Dealer is only 10 minutes across Falls Church from where we are, so no big deal.

Kip Kilmons Tysons Corner Ford?

F those guys.
JSKolache
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

VitruvianAg said:

Final update.

F those guys.
Nah, in Falls Church it's prolly Koons
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
JSKolache said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

VitruvianAg said:

Final update.

F those guys.
Nah, in Falls Church it's prolly Koons
Used to love in TC. That Ford dealer F'd me over when I was interning up there.
VitruvianAg
AG
Koons, Kilmons is gone, the site is empty or unused and in the planning process to be redeveloped as a mixed use development, cause, you know, it's so near the metro Silver Line. One of those 15 story residential. office and retail on the first floor structures.

The Mosiac District in Merrifield is the happening place now just past the Dunn Loring Station which has also been redeveloped.
tunefx
AG
As far as I can tell, there isn't a decent Ford dealer in NoVa.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.