When to give up??

4,762 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Beckdiesel03
Beckdiesel03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
2005 Yukon xl and my entire plan was for it to last to 200k and 2020. I'm quickly approaching when repairs are more than payments we just have had other financial focuses. I spent $1400 for a paint job knowing I needed that to resell it. Then $1400 in front end work. That isn't including the oil sending unit and rear blend door that needs replacement. Headliner is crap. Leather cracking. Thank god the dash isn't cracking. What is killing me is now my transmission is slipping. I lived with it in my last Chevy till 225k miles but I wasn't hauling my kids. We put the transmission additive in tonight to help the slipping only to find the ac leaking everywhere. I'm assuming I need to lose the battle and just sell this? But how knowing these problems ? Advise please . We can do some work but not a ton. Which is getting to be the problem too
Koko Chingo
AG
Is this a financial thing? If you are strapped right now then it's all about the $$$

A $400 monthly car payment = $4800 a year. Plus insurance will be higher on a new car.

Will you you spend less than $4800 per year to keep the car going? And by how much??

Do the math and make a financial decision not an emotional one.

If you can afford a new vehicle then get one and save yourself the headache and stress.
CactusThomas
AG
Beckdiesel03 said:

2005 Yukon xl and my entire plan was for it to last to 200k and 2020.....
I spent $1400 for a paint job knowing I needed that to resell it.

Having a hard time understanding this
crowman2010
AG
username doesn't check out
Beckdiesel03
AG
It's not a financial thing I just am not big on debt and a newer car means debt right now for us for longer than I normally like. However with repairs so far this year I'm creeping on it being the same as a payment which is killing me.
Beckdiesel03
AG
My paint was failing and was at the point of starting to rust so had to fix it so my roof wouldn't rust through.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Problem is with a slipping transmission and bad AC it's not worth more than $1000.

To fix those problems it's going to cost you a lot probably. Could you get another year out of it when it's fixed, probably but I bet you have spend $3500+

Maybe the transmission just needs fresh fluid?

I'd try my luck with a newer used suburban like a 2010

Beckdiesel03
AG
I've drained and refilled the transmission within the last year.
gig em 02
Koko Chingo said:

Is this a financial thing? If you are strapped right now then it's all about the $$$

A $400 monthly car payment = $4800 a year. Plus insurance will be higher on a new car.

Will you you spend less than $4800 per year to keep the car going? And by how much??

Do the math and make a financial decision not an emotional one.

If you can afford a new vehicle then get one and save yourself the headache and stress.

$400/month? Have you priced Yukon's recently? I'd imagine you'd be looking at close to 3x that on. 6 year note.
Ag for Life
AG
No idea on quality but rockauto has rebuilt trannies for cheap. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/gmc,2005,yukon+xl+1500,5.3l+v8,1431234,transmission-automatic,automatic+transmission+assembly,8556

With more research you could probably find a better brand for not much more. Wouldn't be too hard to swap in a driveway.
MouthBQ98
AG
You can often buy another high mileage similar truck in better shape for not much more than yours is worth. That is a cheap transmission to repair/replace. The vehicle has overall a pretty good drivetrain. I very rarely change my transmission fluid unless I know it was overheated for an extended time. It seems to make issues worse.

I'd price some transmission jobs just to see. My old 04 suburban still runs at 386000 miles. It has a few bugs in the interior but is reliable mechanically.
Dill-Ag13
AG
The wife and I have 'reverse' car payments where we put money away monthy for a future vehicle and repairs on the current vehicle. You might be paying $400/month right now but what have you spent on repairs over the last 24-36 months? I'd expect the average is much lower.
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me." - Psalm 23:4
Beckdiesel03
AG
If I were to replace the transmission should I look at a rebuild or a replacement?
And yes the price of replacing a Yukon with another Yukon or expy EL makes me want to cry.
Mouth- Do you not have problems with just constant small things going out? I seem to have constant switches or window regulators going out. I'm about to put in my third regulator in one window alone.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Beckdiesel03 said:

If I were to replace the transmission should I look at a rebuild or a replacement?
And yes the price of replacing a Yukon with another Yukon or expy EL makes me want to cry.
Mouth- Do you not have problems with just constant small things going out? I seem to have constant switches or window regulators going out. I'm about to put in my third regulator in one window alone.
I played this game for years in my younger days.

Just put money aside and patch/repair things along as they go.

If you really like the truck and want to roll it a few more years, find a good place to rebuild. Circle D in houston isnt cheap but they rebuild with all the latest 'updates'. Ask them to check for rear main seal leaks while its there and replace if leaking.

As long as its safe to drive mechanically, I would have no qualms about driving it longer as long as you dont mind fixing stuff. If you're not a DIYer or not inclined to do it yourself, this kind of stuff gets pricey very fast when you have to pay someone to do it.
gig em 02
Don't forget to take the value of your time into account as well, taking it to the mechanic or missing work because the car won't start aren't free.
MouthBQ98
AG
Window regulators, no. Air conditioning actuators, yes.
Jason Ag
AG
gig em 02 said:

Don't forget to take the value of your time into account as well, taking it to the mechanic or missing work because the car won't start aren't free.

I had to deal with this lately. Mostly i just need to pay someone else to do repairs/maintenance. I had always done them myself, but I'm so friggin busy now. My glow plugs need changed before winter and i have everything to do it but the time. Ford dealer said 600 in labor if i supply the parts.
Flaith
AG
I'd spend $1500 on a rebuilt transmission replacement with a warranty at a reputable independent shop

Replace main seal while you're in there.
Koko Chingo
AG
The $400 was just a number floated out there for a new/newer vehicle to estimate a budget with. I am making the assumption that if he could afford a brand new Yukon, he would not be trying to band-aid this thing and would have had a new vehicle months ago. $400 a month is enough to get something you do not have to work on every time you drive it, and still last a while.

I remember the newly married, then a newborn, days on active duty. You do all you can to save a dime and sometimes it feels so overwhelming that you forget to do simple math. You end up putting effort into something that is dying.
Beckdiesel03
AG
Without dragging this out, first off I'm a she . Secondly we can afford a new car but that doesn't mean I really want to rush out and get one esp with the prices the way they are. We have several more months until we are completely debt free hence not wanting to rush out and buy another car. Next year was the year to save up to be able to pay cash for the majority of a new car. The problem we run into is that we have 3 cars all of which are are starting to run into problems. Some of them we have the time and ability to fix, others it's easier for the mechanic. Last month alone between our commuter car and my mom mobile we spent $2700. That eats away seriously at any down payment savings especially to turn around and have more issues.i don't mind having repair bills but when it's constant I am really trying to just think my way through throwing money into a used car or just say enough is enough and get a newer used car. Thanks again for all of the advice.
el_scorcho
AG
I'm thinking trade it for a Range Rover.
Silvy
AG
Post removed:
by user
Beckdiesel03
AG
That's a very good point.
MTTANK
AG
I am super tight, and can appreciate your aversion to debt. Until more recently, I only owned well used cars, paid cash, and never lost much on them when I sold them. In fact I made a little bit on a couple of them. A little over 100k miles is the way to buy used, and sell them before 200k. Sometimes you get jammed up with bad luck on a vehicle, not sure if that is your case. Be sure to look at the big picture of final cost and value. I bought an f150 in late 13, looked at used and prices did not make sense. Bought a new one for 34k. I put around 60k miles on it and a couple of months ago traded it on another vehicle. I got 24500 for it, so it only cost me about 2500 a year to drive a brand new crew cab 4x4. Think I put down 5k on it and carried over 15k in equity when I traded. Never had to change a battery or do repairs. Never had to worry if it was going to break down on me at the wrong time. I am not telling you to buy a new one. You need to look at how these suv's depreciate, think its much worse than a truck. Suv's are stupid expensive. Bought my wife a 2012 King ranch expedition about a year and a half ago. I think 70k miles on it for $20k. Will have to see how it goes, but cost of ownership should be pretty low and the wife is happy. She chose a used one loaded versus a newer one stripped with cloth. She would not go for the over 100k miles and a little older used vehicle, but you can't put a price on love.

Final advice- Sell it. Not worth the aggravation and stress and no way you win. Take the hit now, I'm sure it was still a relatively inexpensive ride for your family.
GIG 'EM
JSKolache
AG
Beckdiesel03 said:

My paint was failing and was at the point of starting to rust so had to fix it so my roof wouldn't rust through.
jesus harold crist - ditch the hooptie already
Old Tom Morris
Take old yeller out and shoot it. Go find something in the 2010-12 range.
AG
Get rid of it, the ****** is about to go and you were going to have to spend the money on a new one in a year anyway, seems like a no brainer to me.
Agmechanic
AG
Sell it and buy another. If you dont have all the money saved, no big deal. Finance that thing for as long as you can (to keep the HAVE TO payments low) and then since it sounds like yall are savers, start making huge payments and get it paid off quickly.

In a situation like this, i never see the benefit in burning up large chunks of cash when interest rates are so low. Get cheap payments, get your other items paid off (i assume it is your house) and once those are done, pay the car off in a couple of years.

I get you wanted to be debt free this year, but is two more years really that big of a deal? Im sure you guys have much more to worry about than wherher your car will get you from A to B. Cars are tools. You need them to get to jobs, keep family safe, etc. Buy good tools and you can do good work.
a gmechanic 01@gma i l (no spaces)
DallasAg2
AG
I agree. Get rid of it.
I was hoping to hit 200k in my Lexus sedan. I am at 191k and put too much money (2-3k) in the car in the last year. It still needs some work so I am going to get rid of it soon. I wish I would have gotten rid of it earlier.
MouthBQ98
AG
I just used my 2004 suburban with 387K to haul a utility trailer and help move my brother. It's not a daily driver anymore but it's value isn't what it would sell for. It is what it would cost to pay for something of similar capability to replace it...something that would be much more risky in a high miles used vehicle low cost category because any potential replacement wasn't maintained by me.
rwv2055
AG
Beckdiesel03 said:

That's why it's slipping.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Are the only options this old failing Yukon or a brand new one? Doesn't make sense.
Aggieangler93
AG
I agree with another poster above. Find a used one in decent shape with about 50K miles on it. Someone else took the hit on the sticker and you should easily get 140K more miles from it without much service work.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
harge57
AG
rwv2055 said:

Beckdiesel03 said:

That's why it's slipping.

Yep. Mine went out 1 month after I did this.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.