Honda OEM Batteries

869 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by CanyonAg77
Macarthur
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wondering if anyone else is having this issue. I've burned through 4 in two of my Hondas in the last 18 months or so. All but this last one has been replaced under warranty, but this last one I had to buy so I didn't want any part of a Honda battery.

Tech's tell me it's a combination of lots more electronics pulling more juice these days and the heat. While I don't think they are necessarily lying, shouldn't the onus be on the manufacturer to upgrade the batteries to handle all this new technology?
schmendeler
AG
i know VW is going to start using 48-volt mild hybrid technology going forward. i think it's partially in response to the cause you suggested.
MouthBQ98
AG
Cheaper batteries cost and weigh less.

The problem is the tech stays on and drains the battery more when the car is "off" than vehicles used to have.

Before, off was "off". Now, off is a slow drawdown on the battery with no alternator support to keep it fully charged.

That cycling from 100% charged to 80-90% charged over and over and over every night is pretty tough.

Then, lead acid batteries are heavy, so if they can cut back on lead, that cuts weight and cost. Helps them make a few dollars and shave a few pounds for design mileage but also makes the battery easier to kill.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
So its all being handled under warranty but they only last 4 or 5 mos?

Have they checked alternator function?
Macarthur
1agswitchin4lanes said:

So its all being handled under warranty but they only last 4 or 5 mos?

Have they checked alternator function?
Yes, not all have lasted that short of a time. 2 years on the Odyssey. 1 year on this last Accord.
Macarthur
MouthBQ98 said:

The problem is the tech stays on and drains the battery more when the car is "off" than vehicles used to have.

Before, off was "off". Now, off is a slow drawdown on the battery with no alternator support to keep it fully charged.

That cycling from 100% charged to 80-90% charged over and over and over every night is pretty tough.

Then, lead acid batteries are heavy, so if they can cut back on lead, that cuts weight and cost. Helps them make a few dollars and shave a few pounds for design mileage but also makes the battery easier to kill.
What keeps running?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Macarthur said:

MouthBQ98 said:

What keeps running?
I think a lot of the body control functions dont "go to sleep" for several hours or even ever for some functions.

Especially if you have smart access and touch entry.
Picard
AG
Oh it's the Honda batteries alright. My old Accord ate the Honda OEM battery every two years like clockwork. The third time I put in an Interstate....never replaced it again.

Wife's Odyssey eats a Honda OEM every 18-24 months. Got stranded the last time so I put in a cheap VatoZone Duralast in a pinch and the dang thing has outlasted the Honda OEMs already and still going strong.
CanyonAg77
AG
I think Honda batteries have be lousy for decades.

But regardIng cheap batteries, I once put a "Hot Rod" brand battery on a grain truck. It would sit for 11 months, and be used hard for a month. It was the cheapest battery I could find.

Lasted 11 years
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.