Discount Tire Certificates

10,348 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Absolute
HoustonAg12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Getting new tires for my wife's RAV4...is it worth it to get the certificates on the tires at Discount?

Adds $60 to overall cost
Cannew
AG
I balked at buying them on my wifes car and they guy at discount said "ill sell you two and not put what tire they are on on, that way you can have two certificates". It worked out well since I had a hole in sidewall once.
drumboy
AG
You can talk them down on the price of certs.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
I have them on some of my cars, mostly ones that I put LOT of miles on, and some cars I dont have them.

Its a gamble. You decide how much risk you need/want.
hurricanejake02
AG
I've always had them on my trucks - but sidewall damage risk is definitely increased when off-road.

I'll be looking for a deal on them to put them on the wife's Navigator.
Naveronski
AG
hurricanejake02 said:

I've always had them on my trucks - but sidewall damage risk is definitely increased when off-road.

I paid for four tires. They've since replaced two of them.

Very worth it for me.
hatchback
AG
With the low profile tires on my GTI and the horrific roads in Dallas, I always go for the certificates at Discount Tire. Definitely worth the cost in my book.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
I always get them. Have used them several times. Used to with me it wasn't if I was going to get a nail or something, but when. And they always went in on the shoulder. But anyway I've gotten several replacements so it's been worth it for me.
OldArmyBrent
AG
Just keep in mind that they don't honor them after a certain amount of time. I bought certs for truck tires (discount tire house brand) and 3 years later, they refused to honor the free replacement because lifetime apparently equals 3 years. If you put a bunch of miles on them in 3 years, it could be worth it.
TRIDENT
AG
I self insure my tires.
The Wonderer
AG
I had them on the OEM fronts of my 335is because Houston roads suck.

TireRack covers their tires, so I don't pay for certs now since the 335is is rarely driven.

The Navi had new tires installed before purchase and I don't carry certs since they are only ~$150/tire to replace.
Willis
AG
The manager of your store must be an ass. My Discount Tire has never not honored my certificates. I've always been told it's a tread depth threshold. I've replaced tires twice with the certs. so it has been worth it for me. Like others have said, they will negotiate the price or just reduce the tire costs down.
AG
the car has had every tire replaced at least once under RH thanks to Dallas potholes

truck has had every BFG MT replaced at least once from failed sidewall

no problem since changing to BFG AT and not driving car down mockingbird or royal.
AGGIE WH08P
AG
Worth every penny.
I just got new tires last week from them. I tried to haggle on buy 2 get 2 free like I have done in the past. They wouldn't budget and said they couldn't do that anymore. They also offered me credit on my next set of tires. My wife's had 30,000 miles on a set of Michelin tires that said they'd get 50,000. Tires were rotated every 10,000 miles.

Did you know you can buy certificates on new car purchases even though they are factory tires? I got a new truck and a few weeks later, went to discount and bought certificates.

Discount has always been a great company to deal with and I'm a customer for life.
aggiedata
AG
Some say this is the best deal in the business for what they offer. I can't say i disagree even though I buy them about every other time. During the July 4th holiday sale, I figured why not since it was basically free when I got the rebate card. (which I got a few weeks ago in the mail btw)

OldArmyBrent
AG
I even went to the regional manager. They wouldn't budge. I still buy tires there (different location), but I make sure to loudly clarify that the lifetime certificates only last 3 years. Hopefully I save a few others from getting screwed like me.
Silvy
AG
The 3 year limitation is clearly stated on the paperwork though
JSKolache
AG
Hasn't been worth it yet. knocks on wood....
OldArmyBrent
AG
Agree with you. Shame on me for not reading more closely and trusting that lifetime meant as long as the tires have tread left. I think it's a little shady that the people working for DT will tell you that but you have to read closely to find out they're lying to sell you the certificates. Maybe they haven't read either. I've even had DT employees argue with me that there was no such 3 year limitation.

To be clear, I understand now that 3 years is their definition of lifetime. I understand that I should have seen that at the time I bought that set of tires. Obviously, I don't have a problem buying tires there. I just think people should be aware of the 3 year limitation.
Absolute
AG
I use the heck out of them. Actually had two tired replace in the last 2 weeks. Well worth 23 buck a each. Chance are they would be wasted on my wife's vehicle. I have found in the past they will work with you on the warranty cert if you are not a frequent user but need one.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.