Your experiences with two/three used car options: '08 Lexus GS 350/460 & '08 Audi A5

1,787 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by JSKolache
MikesFamousJava
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Time for me to buy another used car so that my current used car (a 2007 Acura TSX) can go to my 16 year old. I'm considering the following and would love any feedback from those with first- (or second-) hand knowledge:

2008 Audi A5 with 3.2L V6 and manual transmission. As a German car, I'm fearful of the maintenance costs, but I personally find it to be one of the most beautiful cars ever made. Should be high on the fun-to-drive scale, and luxurious. Standard AWD (nice for icy roads conditions in DFW). Would enjoy driving a stick-shift again (has been awhile), and I could use it to teach my kids to drive stick. Coupe makes access for rear passengers more difficult, and only seats four. Less common, more distinctive and has more personality. Reliability and the aforementioned maintenance costs are the big negatives. A bit pricier than the Lexus. Did I mention it is beautiful?

2008 Lexus GS 350. I've always liked the looks of these as well, though not the same head-turner as the Audi. Unquestionably reliable (tell me if I'm wrong), luxurious, and quiet. I'd expect to get 300,000 miles out of her. Peppy, but not exactly athletic (but plenty of power for passing, etc.). Less fun-factor than the Audi. No manual transmission available (less fun to drive in general, but better for when stuck in stop-and -go traffic). AWD available but not standard. Ventilated (cooled) seats available. Good value at this age. Can seat 5 (although back middle seat would be uncomfortable).

2008 Lexus GS 460. See above, but with more power and torque for slightly less mpg. May help increase the fun factor a bit.

Anything I should be aware of/avoid with these vehicles? Thanks in advance for your feedback!

TitanAGGIE09
AG
The potential for a maintenance/mechanical nightmare are exponentially higher in that Audi vs the Lexus. There is a large quality and reliability difference in a pre 2012 audi vs a post 2012 audi
robertcope
GS 350 all the way. Why would you give a 16 year old more power?!

Consider a teen driving school. MSRH has one. I think BMWCCA put on another that is more in depth: http://www.houston-bmwcca.com/?cat=11
MikesFamousJava
AG
My teen driver is getting the TSX. The car options I described are for me.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Listen to titan and get the 350, the 460 also has troublesome & expensive reliability issues.

My list would be
uber
audi
FJB
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
the 460 had issues with valve springs, but Lexus made good on that.

The 350 is easier to service than the 460 if you DIY.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
My mom has had an 07 GS350 (I think it's the same gen as an 08) for about 5 years now and they haven't had any issues with it at all I believe. Well, other than the previous owner had one of those plastic protective bras stuck on the front which was an absolute ***** to get off. Only actual complaint I've heard from my dad is that when you change the oil it's a weirdly complicated process to reset the oil life tracker.
MikesFamousJava
AG
Thanks for the feedback folks!
drumboy
AG
Is it the same engine that went into some Tundras and is in the GX? I thought that engine was bulletproof?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
drumboy said:

Is it the same engine that went into some Tundras and is in the GX? I thought that engine was bulletproof?
Same Family.

LS460 got the 4.6L 1UR-FSE.

Tundra was a 5.7L 3UR-FE. Bascially larger without DI and Dual VVTi.

There was a 1UR-FE used in GCC and overseas markets. It was also the base V8 tundra engine (replacing the 4.7L) and earlier send gen sequoias, and the current GX460. Same as the LS460 engine but without DI.
T Durden
AG
What's the story on newer model GS? Still solid? I'm thinking about buying a new car in this class, but not sure how to narrow down the choices.
TxLawDawg
AG
I'm a truck guy, with very limited experience with cars. That being said, in 2011 I started a new job with a very long commute (2.5-3 hours per day in the car), so I bought a 2008 ES350. I think it's very similar to the GS - the GS is just more sporty. I have to say I really enjoyed the car. It was very comfortable, had plenty of power and pep to speed up and pass easily. I never had any issues with it. Averaged about 27 mpg, mostly in DFW traffic, with pretty spirited driving. I put 65k miles on it in two years, then sold it when we moved and my commute got shorter.

Clearly this is anecdotal, but my suggestion is also the GS.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
T Durden said:

What's the story on newer model GS? Still solid? I'm thinking about buying a new car in this class, but not sure how to narrow down the choices.

I'd say so. I don't think I'd buy the GS200t though. The 350 is still a solid choice. GS-F is you're a cash money millionaire.
T Durden
AG
Thanks. How much more is the F in real dollars?
T Durden
AG
And if I was a cash money guy I'd go with the LS500 no questions asked...
Trinity Ag
S
I would buy the Audi, along with a nice floorjack, jack stands, and a set of metric sockets.

If it has had new chain guides, control arms, and the clutch is decent, more the better.

What is the difference in price on the two options?

If you don't wrench, and the Audi is significantly cheaper, buy it and do the maintenance proactively, all at once -- and call it even.

Audi coupe with a stick is a joy. Lexus is nice, but just transportation.
MikesFamousJava
AG
Thought I'd come back to this to let you know what I ended up going with...which is none of the original choices. Ended up finding a great deal on a 2010 MB E350 with <76K miles, in pristine condition. I'm nervous about maintenance costs, but I'm going to try not to think about that until I have to

Rule #1:
http://imgur.com/pqnvK17
http://imgur.com/CsItyl6
http://imgur.com/KvbuzTX
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Nice ride! Find a good indy mechanic.
drumboy
AG
Nice ride

JSKolache
AG
And spray some roundup on that driveway already
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.