Talk to me about Armadas

3,815 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Ogre09
crowman2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We're looking into getting a used family hauler, and the wife keeps noticing that the Armada's (even the platinum) seem to be running significantly lower than even the Expedition EL's. Definitely want the extra space in the back, so our choices have been a Suburban/Yukon XL/Expedition EL type.

Any word of caution on the Armada?

Flaith
AG
I like the new ones a lot
Dill-Ag13
AG
It's based on a 2010 design, that's why it's so cheap. Has been sold as the QX56 since 2010. Solid platform but dated.
sts7049
AG
i'm driving a new one right now as a rental.

it's a nice truck, but it does feel a little dated with the way it rides and some of the little things inside. the engine has some good power. thirsty as a MOFO.

the exterior design to me is fugly...but to each their own.
Macarthur
How used?

Not sure about the new trans, but the old 5.6 w/ 5 speed transimission was bullet proof. Thirsty, but very solid.
schmendeler
AG
they are big and ugly.
crowman2010
AG
We've found some nice deals on 2015 models. I much prefer the look of the 2017 though...2015 is extremely boxy.

Really just wondering about reliability, sounds like the engine is nails, but the trans may be problematic?
coolerguy12
AG
My brother is looking to sell his 14 or 15 platinum. Located in north Houston. Let me know if you want to take a look at it.
drumboy
AG
crowman2010 said:

We've found some nice deals on 2015 models. I much prefer the look of the 2017 though...2015 is extremely boxy.

Really just wondering about reliability, sounds like the engine is nails, but the trans may be problematic?
I believe there are big differences between those years and not just with looks. The newer ones, along with the 2011+ QX56/QX80 are based off of the Patrol platform.

My wife has a 2013 QX56 and it's been fine. Big & thirsty obviously and the kinda-spongy throttle annoys me as it's the exact opposite of my Tundra where it's stiff & very sensitive.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
I think Mechanically they're fairly solid.

My impression is that their interior materials dont wear as well as what you'd expect for something that costs $50K.
JSKolache
AG
schmendeler said:

they are big and ugly.
If you think they are ugly, then you should take a look at what Infiniti does to them - yikes...
Salt of the water
AG
Did someone say QX56? It's very clear where they got the design inspiration.

1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Salt of the water said:

The 2018 QX80 is slightly better.

MouthBQ98
AG
Amen. I hate those almost random "bulging" lines that Nissan/Infiniti uses. Mazda does this too.

Never combine neat linear flow with random bulges or disruptions in "flow" or pattern along the vehicle from front to rear.
OregonAggie
AG
We had a 2012 SL and loved it. I think it was an SL. It was the trim below Platinum is all I remember.

The thing towed great, had plenty of room, sucked gas worse than my F250, doesn't have the softest leather but it was easy to clean when my kids dumped stuff on the seats, fit 8 people, and I liked the body style.

Overall a good rig that fit our needs. They're consistently less than the other competitors but are also considered just not as nice. I really like it but got rid of it when I got a company car through work, otherwise I'd still drive it around.
longeryak
I had a rental one while my car was in the body shop. The kids dubbed it, 'the ugly guppy'.

Use the search function as this is the third thread on the Armada in about the same number of months.
Txanon
made in japan and apparently they all end up in russia eventually
crowman2010
AG
longeryak said:

I had a rental one while my car was in the body shop. The kids dubbed it, 'the ugly guppy'.

Use the search function as this is the third thread on the Armada in about the same number of months.
Performed thread search...conclusion:

You're worse than the neighborhood watch
RightWingConspirator
AG
We're on our second Armada in a row. Not sure why we've been drawn to them. When I travel, we typically drive, and driving consists of carrying the four girls in my life (3 daughters and my wife) and my Jack Russell. I find the Armada to have good power and plenty of room to carry the girls, my dog, and all of our luggage. I've also found the Armadas to be mechanically sound. We've not had any engine issues with ours at all, but on our latest SL (2011 we bought brand new), we've had to take it in for AC and heater issues that run us ~$400 a pop. Other than that, we've had no issues at all.

I like the styling on them, but that's just an opinion.
tailgatetimer10
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Amen. I hate those almost random "bulging" lines that Nissan/Infiniti uses. Mazda does this too.

Never combine neat linear flow with random bulges or disruptions in "flow" or pattern along the vehicle from front to rear.

Thank God someone is doing something different these days. Body lines are copied across the board these days.
MouthBQ98
AG
Some of that is aerodynamic convergence in the chase for better fuel economy.

I just think some of the designs are disjointed and to me that is unappealing.
tailgatetimer10
AG
I understand.

There's plenty of vehicles out there that I think are ugly, but I've started to appreciate them a bit more for trying something different
drumboy
AG
Salt of the water said:

Apparently I'm drawn to big SUV that looks like flipper, Predator, or a fancy toaster.

drumboy
AG
Not so much the whale shark though.

sts7049
AG
i think the cx9 looks sexy
crowman2010
AG
but...its a Mazda
MouthBQ98
AG
It is a sharp looking full size station wagon.

I have trouble calling anything without a noticeable bumper on at least one end an SUV. I like the Mercedes above with the pragmatic mail truck styling, but damn, get that chrome outta there. Yuck.
texsn95
AG
Over the years we've had an 08, 12 and currently have a 14 Armada Platinum. The only issue we've ever had with them was the ~2.5 year life of the battery. Oh and a broken sunvisor-mirror lid on the current one. As stated, they are kind of tankish and boxy, and get about 14 in the city, but we needed the 2nd row bench, along with the fold-flat 3rd row seats, so that really limited our options.
hatchback
AG
texsn95 said:

The only issue we've ever had with them was the ~2.5 year life of the battery.

That's not Nissan's fault. Batteries rated for 36 month lifespan don't usually last much beyond that in this Texas heat.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
hatchback said:

texsn95 said:

The only issue we've ever had with them was the ~2.5 year life of the battery.

That's not Nissan's fault. Batteries rated for 36 month lifespan don't usually last much beyond that in this Texas heat.
Also folks doing 95% stop and go driving with 3 cell phones charging, the DVD player going and AC, ac seats and makeup mirrors lit up.

Amazingly, the 2008 FJ Cruiser is still using its ORIGINAL battery. I attribute it to staying on a Battery Tender when its not being driven.
Silvy
AG
I was not aware you were a freshman chick
MouthBQ98
AG
Our expedition has second row bench with a fold flat third row, and second row for that matter. I don't think we've ever had the third row seat unfolded, actually.
bb2003
AG
We bought a 2010 model new and it was a great car. Traded for a smaller rig a few months back. No problems with the Armada. 180k miles with oil changes only and one brake pad change. It was a good truck.
ballchain
AG
We had a 2011 Platinum. Engine was solid, interior was nice, third row is full size and folds flat. Did not do corners very good and the ride on bumpy roads was not great. That being said a similarly equipped Tahoe is not worth 15k more.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.