New turbo booster BMW 528i

1,955 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TSJ
notheranymore
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have a 2012 528i and after it's been sitting for a few hours it emits white smoke when I start it. Mechanic says the internal seal on the turbocharger is failing therefore leaking oil. Said it's a sign the turbocharger is on its way out and quoted me $2,100 to fix it. Does this need to be addressed right away? Does the quote sound right? TIA
Trinity Ag
S
A refurbished N20 turbo appears to be in the $500 range - new ones are ~$1000. Plus $150 for a parts kit, new coolant, & misc.

The procedure appears to involve pulling the intake, the steering rack, the water pump (hence new coolant) -- but is basically bolt on & off from there -- I would think 8 hours or so.

$120 an hour for.a BMW garage.

I would guess $2000 is not out of bounds.
WestTXCoyote
AG
https://bmwtechnician.com/2016/05/13/n20-oil-feed-line-update/

Refer to link above; early N20 engines had an issue with the oil line to the turbo. Make sure you have already addressed this issue. If not, this is likely the cause. Dealers will fix this for you under warranty as it is a known issue.
How many miles do you have on the engine?
notheranymore
dlp3719
AG
If you are going to replace the turbo (not under warranty) you might as well upgrade and get some more horsepower?

Look at Pure Turbos
Picard
AG
Why do you own a BMW out of warranty???

EskimoJoe
Picard said:

Why do you own a BMW out of warranty???

somebody has to.
notheranymore
Well, originally it was the hub's baby then I got it in a vehicle switcheroo. We knew this day was coming. I'm lobbying to get rid of it and not pay for the repair. The car is prob worth less than $14K. I'd rather use that plus the cost of the repair as down payment on a new vehicle.
tailgatetimer10
AG
prisschris said:

Well, originally it was the hub's baby then I got it in a vehicle switcheroo. We knew this day was coming. I'm lobbying to get rid of it and not pay for the repair. The car is prob worth less than $14K. I'd rather use that plus the cost of the repair as down payment on a new vehicle.

How much you want for it, "as-is" condition? Where is the car located?
notheranymore
We're in Houston (Spring/Klein)

2012 BMW 528i with M Sport package
Blue, almost black metallic exterior
Black pleather interior
Clean
Some scratches on the exterior
65K miles
Front tires are new, back are fine but at least a year old
Maintenance current

I completed the KBB assessment (including indicating it requires a repair) and it came out at ~$14,500. Certainly willing to entertain an offer if our location is convenient. We've owned it outright for years (clean title, never wrecked).

handle @ gmail.com

notheranymore
Forgot to reply to you specifically. See details below. handle @ gmail.com
notheranymore
Just spoke to the dealership. If they confirm that it's the turbocharger's seal failing, they'll fix it for free. I'm taking it in next Thursday.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
prisschris said:

Just spoke to the dealership. If they confirm that it's the turbocharger's seal failing, they'll fix it for free. I'm taking it in next Thursday.
Great news!
notheranymore
I'm back. The dealership is fixing the turbo issue for free but found the following issues. I'm not paying to have these things fixed. Do the diagnoses go on the VIN record?

Rear differential bushing - torn. Could start tearing up the rear end. $1,339.24

Rear universal joint is cracked - $827.96

Front end that controls steering - thrust rod bushings - not torn but cracked - $1,396.70
Then they have to do an alignment $230

Needs coolant flushed
Battery weak $512.80 - registers it to BMW
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
prisschris said:

I'm back. The dealership is fixing the turbo issue for free but found the following issues. I'm not paying to have these things fixed. Do the diagnoses go on the VIN record?

Rear differential bushing - torn. Could start tearing up the rear end. $1,339.24

Front end that controls steering - thrust rod bushings - not torn but cracked - $1,396.70

Needs coolant flushed
The rear diff bushing is a little bit tricky because it requires special tools and dropping the exhaust to do it. But that price is 2x too high.

Rear guibo joint is about 2X too high.

Thrust arm bushing depends if its upper or lower.

Battery price is crazy. If you have an AGM battery, and replace it with another AGM battery, it should be ok. Regardless, you could pay much less to have a new battery installed and then have a good independent mechanic reset the battery registration.
chimpanzee
prisschris said:

Needs coolant flushed

Shredding suspension and driveline bits before 75K miles and $500 batteries.

I applaud BMW on their business model, but I don't think I could ever own one.
notheranymore
I'm negotiating with internet sales people for my new Toyota Highlander.
TSJ
AG
Sounds like you would be paying for that turbo and the yacht payment after all.

I think your making a much better choice.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.