In Addition To The New Bronco Ford is Also Giving Us A Baby Bronco

4,209 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Street Fighter
Madman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://carbuzz.com/news/the-baby-ford-bronco-will-be-based-on-the-new-focus

That will be riding on the Focus platform.

Come on Ford, what are you thinking?
Trinity Ag
S
Madman said:

https://carbuzz.com/news/the-baby-ford-bronco-will-be-based-on-the-new-focus

That will be riding on the Focus platform.

Come on Ford, what are you thinking?
The Escape is based off a Mazda 626 chassis -- so this would be the same concept, but off a Focus, with a Bronco-like body.

What's the big deal?
Street Fighter
AG
Trinity Ag said:

What's the big deal?

Are you serious? It's a Jeep Renegade with a Ford badge, terrible idea.
Prune Tracy
Bronco II?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Too early to tell for now....

My main hope is that Ford doenst make the Bronco like a Halo feature car like the Ford GT and make them impossible for the everyman to own/purchase.
MouthBQ98
AG
Will it be all hat no cattle regarding any substantial offroad ability? These days, they throw in AWD and traction control and some body cladding and suddenly it's supposed to be able to do the rubicon trail... Needs real armor, low range, locking diffs, etc.
Trinity Ag
S
Street Fighter said:

Trinity Ag said:

What's the big deal?

It is a crossover.

Like any other in the market.

What difference does the body make?
CenterHillAg
AG
Quote:

It is a crossover.

Then bring back the Festiva or some other stupid name, don't waste the Bronco legacy on a boring crossover. Too many good cars of the past (Dart, Blazer, Charger, etc.) have been reintroduced as something the original never was, all in the name of marketing.
Flaith
AG
Street Fighter said:

Trinity Ag said:

What's the big deal?

Jeep sells 100,000 Renegades a year in the US alone

That's why they are doing it.
bedofbrass33
AG
Isn't stuff like this basically required due to dumbass California and EPA regs?

X number of llittle, gas sipping cars have to be sold to offset the evil gas guzzling BOF SUVs?
ac04
Madman
AG
In the past I thought it was also a federal thing for fleet average numbers. But Trump may have axed that requirement.
Flaith
AG
Madman said:

In the past I thought it was also a federal thing for fleet average numbers. But Trump may have axed that requirement.
california is grandfathered in to not following the federal regulations, but rather they are able to have their own, stricter regulations.

car manufacturers may have to continue to churn out smaller cars, which use less fuel, in order to sell cars in california
tunefx
AG
Well, on this board, once they have a raptorized baby bronco it will have reached pinto levels!
Tree Hugger
AG
Great, my brother just got wind of this, he already drives a freaking Jeep Patriot and talks about wanting to go off-roading.
Tim Weaver
I agree this is dumb, BUT, who will be the first tuner to build a focus RS-based baby bronco?
MouthBQ98
AG
I just look forward to the YouTube videos of them being abused.
JSKolache
AG
Ford is Jeeping us - moving exclusively to meh SUVs. Except with no solid front (& few rear) axles unless you go all the way up to Super Duty pickup.
longeryak
nm
bedofbrass33
AG
JSKolache said:

Ford is Jeeping us - moving exclusively to meh SUVs. Except with no solid front (& few rear) axles unless you go all the way up to Super Duty pickup.

Nope, our own national government and California's government are doing that to us.
Trinity Ag
S
CenterHillAg said:

Quote:

It is a crossover.

Then bring back the Festiva or some other stupid name, don't waste the Bronco legacy on a boring crossover. Too many good cars of the past (Dart, Blazer, Charger, etc.) have been reintroduced as something the original never was, all in the name of marketing.
Ford hasn't made a nickel off the "Bronco legacy" since the early '90s. What exactly are they "wasting"? The nostalgia of a small cohort of classic car buffs?

If Americans want to buy small crossovers with rugged, classic-looking bodies -- then bully for Ford.

It is like many Porschephiles who hate the Cayenne, even though that is the car that kept the company in business.

hurricanejake02
AG
CenterHillAg said:

This is the only "Bronco Legacy" most consumers today can recall:

MouthBQ98
AG
Incidentally, I saw something very rare just yesterday: a mint condition Bronco II at a gas station. Someone had kept it restored it very well.
sushi94
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Incidentally, I saw something very rare just yesterday: a mint condition Bronco II at a gas station. Someone had kept it restored it very well.
Why? Those things we not "cool" back then. LOL
Trinity Ag
S
MouthBQ98 said:

Bronco II could give Explorers lessons on rolling over.
aggieforester05
AG
Going to have two sedans and 50 different SUV models, makes sense. We can't have rear drive V8 sedans because CAFE standards make it so a sedan that gets the same exact mileage as an SUV is weighted more, since the SUV is categorized as a light truck with lower standards. CAFE and Commiefornia suck.
MouthBQ98
AG
That's my point. It was an interesting choice of vehicles to restore.
Trinity Ag
S
aggieforester05 said:

Going to have two sedans and 50 different SUV models, makes sense. We can't have rear drive V8 sedans because CAFE standards make it so a sedan that gets the same exact mileage as an SUV is weighted more, since the SUV is categorized as a light truck with lower standards. CAFE and Commiefornia suck.
There is serious market distortion happening because of CAFE.

It isn't just what they can manage today -- every car company has to be looking 4 years down the road at their fleet sales predictions and EPA averages.

Lots of uncertainty there, and the market hates that.

Ford is writing off most of its gas-powered car business in large measure due to CAFE -- and appears to be be betting the come line that driverless cars and electric will get them back in the game in the late 20s.

With trucks filling the gap, since that is where they make almost all of their money. Trucks and Mustangs.
sushi94
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

That's my point. It was an interesting choice of vehicles to restore.
I completely agree. Like restoring a Pinto or a late 78 Mustang II
Tim Weaver
We flipped (sold, not rolled!) a 91 ford Explorer a year ago. I actually enjoyed driving it. It was a very late-80's feeling experience. I have been thinking that a 1st gen explorer or broncoII would be a fun jeep alternative with a 302 and a 5 speed.
The Lost
May be getting a manual transmission in the new bronco

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2020-ford-bronco-seven-speed-manual-report/
Street Fighter
AG
Its based off the same Ranger platform as the Everest, so it'll be an Everest with a Bronco like body. I suppose they could surprise everybody, but I have no confidence they will.
Corps_Ag12
AG
I won't be able to afford one, but i hope its not a 4 door.
MouthBQ98
AG
It will be. They'd miss out on a large number of suburban moms that need to climb a Rocky Mountain pass to get their kids to soccer practice before picking up groceries.
Street Fighter
AG
Corps_Ag12 said:

I won't be able to afford one, but i hope its not a 4 door.
Apparently that is the only configuration available. No dos puertas!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.