Synthetic vs conventional

2,065 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by mudbutt07
Jules_Winnfield
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Have been contemplating about switching to synthetic now that my truck has 110,000 miles .

I drive a 2012 eco-boost with 110,000 miles would it be a good time to switch over to synthetic?

Most of my driving is within 10 to 15 miles for work Monday through Friday and I drive to college station from Houston about 15 to 20 weekends out of the year, no towing

Flaith
AG
Pretty sure Ford specifies Motorcraft syn-blend

No reason to deviate from that
cr
Flaith said:

Pretty sure Ford specifies Motorcraft syn-blend

No reason to deviate from that

This.

Run what the manufacturer says and change at the frequency they recommend.
TecRecAg
AG
I run synthetic but I do my own labor to justify the cost.

Granted, mines a diesel so it saves me more than it will probably save you.
Jules_Winnfield
Thanks guys
IslandAg76
AG
I've run full synthetic in my Ford V-8 since the first oil change. 150k miles and have never added any oil between changes.
DRE06
AG
Congrats on wasting money?
JSKolache
AG
Full synthetic, 7k intervals. Or DIY and send a sample to Blackstone for analysis. Theyll advise of any particular wear issues and recommend intervals
IslandAg76
AG
Thank You Sir!
MTTANK
AG
Full synthetic is the way I would go, if you plan on keeping the truck. I would not use conventional with any turbo vehicle, but the motorcraft synthetic blend is fine if you are trying to save a buck. Those turbos get hot and do some serious rpms, very tough on oil.
GIG 'EM
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
My first oil change on my 2.7L Boost, I bought 5W30 MC Syn Blend, 5K mile interval. Oreilly will match the Walmart price for the jug.

Going forward, I'm going to be using Castrol Magnatec 5W30 Full Syn, which is $15.20 for a 5 quart jug on Amazon with Subscribe and Save, cheaper and most conventionals you get in the store, and is also Dexos complaint for the GM fellas.

I'm sure the Ecoboost can be run with conventional oils, as there are millions of fleet vehicles or most schmucks that go to Walmart/Jiffy Lube/Kwik Kar and never think twice. As a personal preference, I choose to run a better, not necessarily the best quality motor oil and keep the intervals at 5K.
JP76
DRE06 said:

$400 cost over 100,000 miles is cheap insurance when rolling the dice on a ford engine
Esteban du Plantier
AG
DRE06 said:

For 5qt Royal Purple and a filter, it's $50-53.

I change at 7000 and drive 700 miles a week, so $5 a week for oil. Pretty damned cheap to me seeing that I spend over $60 a week in fuel. I'm spending maybe $2 more a week vs. using dino juice.

When I'm out of warranty, I'll extend the OCI considerably, after checking a couple times through Blackstone. That will cut costs even further.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Esteban du Plantier said:

DRE06 said:

For 5qt Royal Purple and a filter, it's $50-53.

I change at 7000 and drive 700 miles a week, so $5 a week for oil. Pretty damned cheap to me seeing that I spend over $60 a week in fuel. I'm spending maybe $2 more a week vs. using dino juice.

When I'm out of warranty, I'll extend the OCI considerably, after checking a couple times through Blackstone. That will cut costs even further.
People still buy Royal Purple?

All kidding aside, I went 12K OCI on my Mercedes Diesel with RPs 15W40 with a UOA and filter change at 6K.

No issues.
evan_aggie
AG
Ran Castrol GTX High mileage to 270,000 on my 4.0SOHC but that needed the thicker viscosity and perhaps conventional for various seals.

If money was no object I'd run Redline Synthetic blends, but I'm not sure any synthetic will be worse off than conventional in a turbo.
Trinity Ag
S
I run Motorcraft in my F-150, and Mobil 1 in everything else.

WalmMart sells the 5 gallon jugs of 0W-40 or 5W-30 Mobil for $22.58.

Buy the filter on Amazon, and get a full synthetic oil change for under $40.

Hard to beat that.

mudbutt07
I just hit 190k on my 2011 boost. Been running the Ford Motorcraft blend the entire time and haven't had any issues. Just got back on a 2500 mile road trip to Colorado and it ran great. I get the oil changed every 5k miles.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.