Buying a classic car as an investment ?

4,585 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by The Lost
Garrelli 5000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There comes a time in your life when you simply need a hitman.
Take the trash out staff.
FLATOUT
AG
Pahdz said:

Speaking of, we need some updates and pics on that Syclone

I'll see what I can get this weekend.
expresswrittenconsent
Speaking of syclone (which I had never heard of and had to google) aren't the 85-95 Ish era "square body" Chevy/GMC pickups going crazy right now?

My mid 90s gen x teenage favorite (attainable non super car) fantasy was the 1995ish Nissan 300zx. Part of me would still love to get one but I have zero mechanical skill and no desire to deal with the kind of upkeep needed on a 25 yr old car.
Trinity Ag
S
FLATOUT said:

Cars I didn't do well on:

2014 Viper TA bought new sold at a 10K loss
2015 Viper GT bought new sold for what I bought it for but put a lot of dollar bucks in it.
1993 Acura NSX I think I will break even/ make a little/ lose a little (got greedy and paid to close to the retail number)
1996 Grand Sport Corvette made a whopping $500 (market was softer than I thought it was)

If you don't eat, sleep, and breath the types of collector cars you are trying to flip your chances to make money are very risky. If you are in the auto business or REALLY know a specific platform make all the money you can and get to drive some cool cars in the process.

Great points.

IMO, there is still lots of upside in the NSX market.

But if you are buying/selling cars for a stream of income, it is velocity that makes money -- not holding a car and waiting/hoping for appreciation.

If you are an enthusiast looking to buy a "classic" that has some upside of appreciation over ~5 years while you add a reasonable amount of miles, the NSX is hard to beat in that category.

That isn't really "investing" though.

Towns03
AG
I bought four Land Rover defenders and imported them from England. Two of them made money, one was even, and one was a loss.

I wish I knew how many hours I had in these things. It was not an easy project. I'm probably up around $8k in total.
Towns03
AG
I should add that at any point I could ha be lost a major component like an engine or trans. That would have put the whole project upside down. Too much risk to bother with again, especially considering the time involved.
sts7049
AG
they are popular sure, but i wouldn't say valuable.
FLATOUT
AG
Towns03 said:

I should add that at any point I could ha be lost a major component like an engine or trans. That would have put the whole project upside down. Too much risk to bother with again, especially considering the time involved.

Bingo, depending on what you buy it for this is something that has to be considered. And I have had my share of repairs that I have had to make that were unexpected as well.

Andy
FLATOUT
AG
sts7049 said:

they are popular sure, but i wouldn't say valuable.

Agree, people are buying them because they are cheap, remind them of their childhood, and because there are plenty of cheap parts available to restore them. If you want to make money on them you need to find something that was low production with very low miles and a good ownership history that someone might pay a little extra for.

FLATOUT
AG
Towns03 said:

I bought four Land Rover defenders and imported them from England. Two of them made money, one was even, and one was a loss.

I wish I knew how many hours I had in these things. It was not an easy project. I'm probably up around $8k in total.

Nice! Sounds like a platform that you knew very well, both on the repair side and the buying and selling market.

Well done!
drumboy
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Speaking of syclone (which I had never heard of and had to google) aren't the 85-95 Ish era "square body" Chevy/GMC pickups going crazy right now?

My mid 90s gen x teenage favorite (attainable non super car) fantasy was the 1995ish Nissan 300zx. Part of me would still love to get one but I have zero mechanical skill and no desire to deal with the kind of upkeep needed on a 25 yr old car.
I'd love to get a 300ZX from that era as well, but the '87 that I had scares me too much. I remember it being hard to work on and issues w/ sensors etc so I can only imagine how a mid-90s would be.
Tagguy
AG
Better investment would be getting rid of that cat.
The Lost
https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2018/08/14/first-ford-mustang-worth/956784002/

Seems relevant to this thread
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.