2017 F150 diagnosis

4,769 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by GBMont3
GBMont3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Let's see if we can beat the dealer!

3.5 Boost, 4WD, 12k Miles

Check engine light switched on 24 hours ago. Yesterday evening, oil pressure gauge went on the fritz, swinging all over the place. No indications of an oil leak. 200 yards from the dealership this morning, engine died and a battery light came on. Coasted into dealership driveway, partially blocking it and ensuring prompt service!

Had full accessory power so not a battery issue. Vehicle could not be restarted and engine began to smoke as the service tech tried to restart.

What all does the TA hive mind think is wrong here?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
The oil pressure gauge is a 'dummy' switch, because in the late 70s/early 80s, too many people complained that the gauge was moving, so Ford decided to solder a resistor in the cluster of their vehicles moving forward. Today the gauge is an on/off indicator, either you have oil pressure or you don't.

From your description, I'm guessing you have a Electronic Throttle body issue, but since the MIL is on, they can diagnose and go from there.
JP76
GBMont3 said:

Let's see if we can beat the dealer!

What all does the TA hive mind think is wrong here?

My guess is TSB with code 0911

"This fault can only be fixed by purchasing a new Tundra."

GBMont3
AG
Thanks! We'll see what they come back with. Day & a half at McDavid Ford in Ft. Worth and still no formal diagnosis. Probably the least favorite dealership I've ever worked with but the only one near me that opens at 7.
Jason Ag
AG
I've considered getting an F150, but these kind of posts scare me. Since the mileage is only 12k, safe to assume the work is under warranty?
GBMont3
AG
Now saying it's either the starter (would that have killed the engine while running??) or a "locked up engine" and that it'll be another 5 days at least. These people seem clueless and I'm getting real pissed off real fast.

How does the engine seize on a truck with 12k miles?
idAg09
GBMont3 said:

F-O-R-D
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
GBMont3 said:

Now saying it's either the starter (would that have killed the engine while running??) or a "locked up engine" and that it'll be another 5 days at least. These people seem clueless and I'm getting real pissed off real fast.

Still doesnt explain the check engine light.

This is ridiculous. I could have fixed it two times by now.

Did you ask for a loaner?
Goose
AG
What they're saying might be, "either the starter or a "locked up engine" and that it'll be another 5 days at least." But what I'm hearing from that is, "Sounds like something relatively simple, but that doesn't bring in much revenue, so let's wait on that one and move on with some more lucrative stuff first."
sts7049
AG
GBMont3 said:

good lord

find a new dealer next time.
GBMont3
AG
Yeah, these guys are pretty terrible. Only dealer that opens at 7 AM near me though.

They're checking on the codes ("need to ask the service tech") but common sense pretty quickly ruled out the starter being the root cause. I have a vague suspicion they didn't check the codes.

No loaners either, just Ford's very limited rental coverage. 5 cars ahead of me on the "heavy line" so potentially Monday before they start work.

1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Check your PMs.

GBMont3
AG
Thank you sir!

Found out the code it's throwing:
P054B
Cold Start B
Cam shaft position
Bank 1
GBMont3
AG
Got it sort of diagnosed - needs a new engine. They've still got to figure out what killed this one. Hopefully get the new engine delivered by Wednesday.
EskimoJoe
idAg09 said:

GBMont3 said:

F-O-R-D

they circled the problem
Jason Ag
AG
GBMont3 said:

Got it sort of diagnosed - needs a new engine. They've still got to figure out what killed this one. Hopefully get the new engine delivered by Wednesday.

easttexasaggie04
AG
"Needs a new engine" is what the Ford dealer told me too last year. Then they were surprised when I didn't want another one. No thanks.
GBMont3
AG
Torbush wow is right - at 11,500 miles!

Pretty sure there's another bad component under the hood, probably related to the oil system.

Does something like this show up in a Carfax or similar, or otherwise have the potential to impact resale?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Did you ask for a loaner?

Probably will show up as something. But as long as it's done at the dealer , I don't think it would have a negative effect on trade. Several other people have had engines replaced. One guy in a cX9 and another guy had a Tahoe both under warranty and I know both of them sold their cars with zero dings in trade.
ftworthag02
AG
How far are you from five star ford north Richland hills?
GBMont3
AG
Pretty good ways out from 5 Star. We're in Southwest Fort Worth. Wish we were closer because that's a great dealership.

No loaners given at McDavid. Management there readily acknowledges they have issues in the service department - hopefully Ford is after them to get them fixed or at least improved. No loaner isn't a huge issue as I'll be traveling for work most of next week and then on vacation in the wife's suburban after that. Just frustrating.

Also really want to feel confident they've got the underlying issue fixed and that meter is at 0% right now.
BrazosDog02
AG
New engine? Horse ***** I don't believe that.
Ag for Life
AG
There was another poster that had a 2.7 liter EcoBoost go bad not too long ago. ursusguy I think
ursusguy
AG
Yeah, I had the oil light come on right before 2,300 miles. I had it pretty well figured out before I took it in. There wasn't a recall, but there was a fairly obscure service announcement related to about 200 regarding a specific couple days related to an outside contract company. Even the techs were not aware of the service announcement, they called me about 6 hours later to tell me I needed a new block...no sh--.

At 27,000 I had to get the auxiliary transmission pump replaced. Again, I had it pretty well narrowed down, so they couldn't really bs me. It was warranty covered......to be clear, they havene't really tried to b.s. me for either issue.

I have a good history with Grand Prairie Ford. They don't typically BS me around on loaners. They know a sedan flat out will not work for me. Each time they have hauled me down to Enterprise and covered everything on another truck.

Other than those two issues, the truck has been great.
Jason Ag
AG
Out of curiosity, how many miles do you have on it now?
ursusguy
AG
About 30,000.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
GBMont3 said:

Pretty good ways out from 5 Star. We're in Southwest Fort Worth. Wish we were closer because that's a great dealership.

No loaners given at McDavid. Management there readily acknowledges they have issues in the service department - hopefully Ford is after them to get them fixed or at least improved. No loaner isn't a huge issue as I'll be traveling for work most of next week and then on vacation in the wife's suburban after that. Just frustrating.

Also really want to feel confident they've got the underlying issue fixed and that meter is at 0% right now.

Ford has a Courtesy Transportation Program. I'd be asking to escalate this up to get a loaner car as well as one month of truck note paid for your inconvenience.
ursusguy
AG
Yeah, when I had the initial engine block issue, Grand Prairie tried to give me we don't do loaners line. Which pretty well pissed me off. In route to go have fun complaining in the Sales department (they don't like a recent customer complaining around sales), a Service Manager that I have worked with before happened to walk out of his office. He was curious what I was up to. When I explained that my new truck with less than 3,000 miles needed a new block, and his service person just said I would need to rent a car for ~week and a half.....he said hold on, we can work with you. They sent me down the the partnering Enterprise and put me in truck, covering everything.

You just need to push the issue.
GBMont3
AG
Re: loaners, they'll do a 4 day enterprise rental but not what I'd think of as a loaner (vehicle off the lot) Now a month off on the note would be a really good get seeing as how I'm going to be without my truck for nearly a month.

Not sure how that would work but I'll be getting with the service manager again on Monday to try and get this ironed out before I leave town.
cr
Starter? I call bacon sandwich.
cr
GBMont3 said:

OMG..
easttexasaggie04
AG
This is all bringing back memories of my 2012 F-150
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
GBMont3 said:

Re: loaners, they'll do a 4 day enterprise rental but not what I'd think of as a loaner (vehicle off the lot) Now a month off on the note would be a really good get seeing as how I'm going to be without my truck for nearly a month.

Not sure how that would work but I'll be getting with the service manager again on Monday to try and get this ironed out before I leave town.
Ask them to go to bat for you with Ford to get the rental coverage for the entire time. If they cant, call the 800-392-FORD number and open a case, and ask them to cover the rental for the duration and ask for 'loan payment reimbursement' while your truck is down. Explain to them that you feel that its not reasonable for this to happen on a truck this new etc etc. Be firm but nice. These people dont work for Ford, they're just the message takers.

Let me know where you get and send me a PM and I can pull more strings.
Bob Kelso
AG
What a pain in the ass.

Hello, Toyota!
TSUAggie
So they said it's either a bad starter, or a blown motor? Wow. Take it somewhere else.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.