Value on a 74 FJ Land Cruiser

2,629 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Centerpole90
highvelocity
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
have the opportunity to buy a EDIT its a 76 land cruiser. exterior condition is pretty poor and needs some body and new paint work, but according to seller (i havent looked at it yet) the motor is almost done and he has all of the other parts needed to complete the suspension and other mechanical parts. Before i went and looked at it i wanted to convene the council to get some additional info from you guys..

what would you value this as it sits right now?

IDAGG
AG
Cue the State Farm Commercial: "That lift looks hideous!"
Centerpole90
AG
I wouldn't begin to know how to price it without knowing what the end goal is. Depending on your expectations for the finished product that can be lot of work or a lot of money from the finish line. But I applaud the addition of new 40 to the group!
Goodest Poster
AG
You should be buying axis and oryx hunts, not crappy project trucks
sts7049
AG
i dunno what the number should be, but buyer beware when buying a half finished project off someone else...
Walter Kovacs
AG
Quote:

according to seller (i havent looked at it yet) the motor is almost done and he has all of the other parts needed to complete the suspension and other mechanical parts

I usually assume this is bull***** If he has the parts, then he can or should have installed them. I have yet to (personally) see a build being sold where all the parts were available but not installed. Maybe there's some extenuating circumstances as to why he didn't but I doubt it. I would either want a completed project or one where I can rip it apart myself.
Jrod05
AG
alright, get some pictures of the underneath, what bellhousing is it? take some pictures of the transmission and transfer case.

Check the angles of the driveshfaft.

What is left on the motor? What type of motor mounts and adapter did he use? check the rear sill and the door sills underneath.

The tierod isn't hooked up to the power steering. It looks to be a Saginaw power steering pump. The radiator isn't in, the pulleys aren't hooked up, he did a shackle reverse on it, the heater core is missing, honestly man I wouldn't pay more than 4.5k-5k for that without the motor being ran. It has a new water pump but he has the front bib on without the entire motor being put together meaning he gave up. We put our motor in and everything hooked up and ran it really quick so if you are handy and got pockets go for it. It looks like it was a wheeling rig, fenders are cut and a really ****ty shackle reverse. so depending on what you want to do with it you may have a deal.

With a 350, plan on a new radiator and a shroud. You will run hot temps and make sure there is room for about a 18" fan. Check the power steering pump as well. Have to have a good amount of clearance. See if it is advance adapters conversion, Its a 4 speed so that is good but I would make sure the conversion is done right.

How old is the engine?

Background- I have a 74 that I just put a new 350 in and have been all the way through what your doing. Depending where you are, I assume he is asking about 8500? If you are in Austin or Dallas that's what I would assume. I paid 7k for a 350 conversion with a blown motor. I am in it for about 10k, new transmission, TC, Motor. gas tank etc.

Id be happy to help but get some more pictures of the entire drivetrain. Hows the fuel tank? that's 500 from a Toyota dealer. How are the seats? Hows the radiatior? has he had cooling issues?

Mine is just a ranch vehicle, but everything is expensive as hell on these. If you are handy, they are a blast.

I drove mine before he blew the motor so I knew the rest was good to go. Check his power steering clearance if he is selling half way through a project and the motor is in, id be curious why its not much more to get going from there.
highvelocity
AG
i got the following details from him last night:

hes owned this vehicle since 91 and was a hunting rig and then once he quit hunting he brought it back to dallas in 04 to begin its life as a restoration. he had the truck with a mechanic at a big shop until the mechanics son was hit by a car and the mechanic had to sell off the shop / lost the shop something to that affect before the project was finished and so he brought the truck back and is currently being stored in his garage at home and then lost the motivation to finish the project. apologies for the run ons

has the following mechanical parts with it:

has a 350 from a 90s blazer (not sure on miles)
holley carb
HFS lift springs from cool cruisers
downey off road adapter to stock 4spd toyota transmission
stock toy transfer case
new drive shafts but need to be lengthened
FJ60 brakes and booster
saginaw power steering box
chevy starter
Ford 1-ton steering rods
new radiator
new battery
aluminum fuel cell and new fuel pump w/ braided lines
had a full roll cage kit for it. no seats
Jrod05
AG
actually the body doesn't look bad and the more I look he has quality parts

Downey adapter is good, FJ60 is a common conversion for brakes. Seats will be costly, if you are in Texas I have some spare parts I bought for seat brackets if you end up with it.

Biggest concern for me would be the shackle reversal and the SOA lift.
longeryak
I'd ask a bit more about his story and when it was taken apart. I'm pretty sure those worn out Nitto Trail Grapplers didn't ht the market until 2008 or later if he's claiming 2004 as the last time it was used.

You need to put out the Streetfighter signal as he is likely to know when those tires' debut was.
longeryak
Additionally, the registration sticker only expired last year and the battery sticker looks like 10/15.
longeryak
See if you can get a VIN so the guys here can run that number. Someone with a big hi rez monitor maybe able to get it from that first pix.
Centerpole90
AG
I noticed that. I'm usually years behind... I damn sure don't keep vehicles up that sitting in the barn.
longeryak
Centerpole90 said:

I noticed that. I'm usually years behind... I damn sure don't keep vehicles up that sitting in the barn.
Agree. Have to think that thing was running in 2016.
longeryak
Jrod05 said:

alright, get some pictures of the underneath, what bellhousing is it? take some pictures of the transmission and transfer case.

Check the angles of the driveshfaft.

What is left on the motor? What type of motor mounts and adapter did he use? check the rear sill and the door sills underneath.

The tierod isn't hooked up to the power steering. It looks to be a Saginaw power steering pump. The radiator isn't in, the pulleys aren't hooked up, he did a shackle reverse on it, the heater core is missing, honestly man I wouldn't pay more than 4.5k-5k for that without the motor being ran. It has a new water pump but he has the front bib on without the entire motor being put together meaning he gave up. We put our motor in and everything hooked up and ran it really quick so if you are handy and got pockets go for it. It looks like it was a wheeling rig, fenders are cut and a really ****ty shackle reverse. so depending on what you want to do with it you may have a deal.

With a 350, plan on a new radiator and a shroud. You will run hot temps and make sure there is room for about a 18" fan. Check the power steering pump as well. Have to have a good amount of clearance. See if it is advance adapters conversion, Its a 4 speed so that is good but I would make sure the conversion is done right.

How old is the engine?

Background- I have a 74 that I just put a new 350 in and have been all the way through what your doing. Depending where you are, I assume he is asking about 8500? If you are in Austin or Dallas that's what I would assume. I paid 7k for a 350 conversion with a blown motor. I am in it for about 10k, new transmission, TC, Motor. gas tank etc.

Id be happy to help but get some more pictures of the entire drivetrain. Hows the fuel tank? that's 500 from a Toyota dealer. How are the seats? Hows the radiatior? has he had cooling issues?

Mine is just a ranch vehicle, but everything is expensive as hell on these. If you are handy, they are a blast.

I drove mine before he blew the motor so I knew the rest was good to go. Check his power steering clearance if he is selling half way through a project and the motor is in, id be curious why its not much more to get going from there.
I'd add the worn out Trail Grapplers to that list.
highvelocity
AG
talked to him some more last night and got the following...

SOA w/ cut and turn was completed in 07
asked him about bump steer and his response "never set up the final shock mounts at the axle or limit straps and it was parked thereafter. the guys who did it were good."
the truck has been in its current condition since 2013 (parted out and not being worked on)
in regards to the 17 registration, this is apparently off another vehicle he has / had and he just slapped it on there for funsies. he was surprised the sticker came off in one piece and put it on the FJ.. i chuckled at that

but he is sending me the VIN number today. more pics below

longeryak
^^^

Doesn't explain the 10/15 battery sticker.

While parting it out explains the missing seats but doesn't gibe with his previous story.

If he was where he needed to part it out before then lowball him and see if he goes for it. From looking at the second to last shot way more than the seats are missing. Is the bottom half or the driver side rear corner all Bondo? Are there any photos of the passenger side?
highvelocity
AG
Jrod05
AG
id buy this one twice before I bought that one the more I look at it honestly.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/fj/6655707954.html
Centerpole90
AG
Hello little jewel! Nice find.
highvelocity
AG
saw this one last night too. that guy hustles all kinds of FJs. that one is much cleaner though
CircleO
AG
Ih8mud is a great resource. Lots of threads like this asking for value and lots of cruisers for sale to help gauge. I have a '74 FJ40 and have the bug bad for a 2nd one so have been looking at prices lately.

I guess this rig will be an off-road toy but is too modified for my taste. I am not a purest as mine is heavily modified but with stock drive train. Not having the original 2F engine is a big detractor of value. The chop job on the fenders doesn't help. I assume no doors and roof?

I would put value around $5k.

Parts costs add up quick on these also so be careful
Street Fighter
AG
longeryak said:

I'd ask a bit more about his story and when it was taken apart. I'm pretty sure those worn out Nitto Trail Grapplers didn't ht the market until 2008 or later if he's claiming 2004 as the last time it was used.

You need to put out the Streetfighter signal as he is likely to know when those tires' debut was.
2009 - present

And my added two cents, I would tell him to keep the engine...find your own.
Centerpole90
AG
5 days. No update.

Y you no update hv??
highvelocity
AG
i decided to hold off. his story seemed sketchy and the more folks i talked to the more and more i did not want to start another project. got two more i need to finish right now anyway.

there shall be more
Centerpole90
AG
Understandable, I can relate.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.