Buying car parts from Amazon?

1,838 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by sts7049
Ag97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I need new coil packs for my ecoboost and was pricing some on Amazon. Anybody ever purchased King Brand Auto Parts off there? They say they are the same as the OEM's and the even look exactly like them, but I'm a little nervous about buying them. They are nearly half the price of the MotorCraft originals I can buy at the local parts stores. Any feedback from you guys?

Thanks
Jason Ag
AG
Can you get Motorcraft on Amazon?

I have bought many Motorcraft parts on Amazon, just try to buy stuff directly from Amazon. If from a 3rd party seller look at the seller closely, especially their return policy. I've seen some 3rd party stuff with "restocking fees" or selling counterfeit parts, but haven't seen that from stuff directly from Amazon. Stuff sold by someone else, but fulfilled by Amazon is less sketchy, but beware.

We could not afford much about 4 yrs ago, and i bought the cheapest alternator Amazon had, still working. I dont expect it to last as long, but now I can afford a better one when that one goes out. I have not purchased king brand.
Dill-Ag13
AG
I find alternatives to OEM on rock auto and then run a search for the rock auto P/n on amazon. Rock auto also helpfully sorts the cheap/premium/oem grades into buckets
Centerpole90
AG
I've ordered a couple random small parts for Ford from Amazon and they're usually Dorman parts. Same box as if I bought them @ O'reilley. (not that that's a good thing, it's just a data point)
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Motorcraft or BwD coils only. Not worth the cost savings gamble.
Ag97
AG
I've got 200,000 on the boost. Would you guys replace all the coils or just the 2 that I know are misfiring?
drumboy
AG
I've bought lots of car parts off of Amazon and only had an issue when a lifetime warranty door lock failed. Amazon refunded the part price to a then-deactivated credit card promising that the CC would send me a check. 1 year later and lots of calls/emails/tweets to Amazon & Chase I still don't have the money.

I wish I would have argued and just gotten an Amazon credit.
Duncan Idaho
I bought a coil from Amazon...it was labled as OEM.

Not Original Equipment Manufacturer, but a company named "OEM"
Jason Ag
AG
Noticed you didn't list "live chat", I've had good luck with that if you haven't tried it yet.
Jack Cheese
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

That's gotta be disappointing.
robertcope
I buy lots of parts from Amazon. Usually simple stuff like oil and air filters, brake rotors and pads, etc. I did just buy a lock mechanism for the Rabbit... $57 vs $190 from ECS... lots of positive reviews, etc... probably the biggest gamble I've taken, but I'm guessing it'll be fine.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Ag97 said:

I've got 200,000 on the boost. Would you guys replace all the coils or just the 2 that I know are misfiring?
Seeing as how easy they are to swap, I'd just do the failed ones. Now if you have no plans to sell it, drive it a LOT and want to drive the truck long distance and not worry about breakdowns or another coil failing while you're on a long trip, then do all 6.
TX_AG_10
AG
I buy most parts for my Duramax on Amazon. Granted they are all AC Delco OEM parts. But they are always on prime and way cheaper than most places. It's where I but fuel filters, glow plugs, trans filter, etc.
Duncan Idaho
Jack Cheese said:

Duncan Idaho said:

That's gotta be disappointing.

It was a cheap easy to replace part so I was more amused than pissed.

Had it been something like a water pump, power steering pump or something else that is a hassle to change, I'd have been pissed.

That said my order of parts suppliers now goes

Rockauto
Amazon
AutoZone/Napa.

With a convoluted formula that weighs price, brands, timing, core requirements (+ for local) and likelihood of future failure (+for autozone with stuff that WILL need to be replaced)
Duncan Idaho
I just looked up the coil. They have changed the listing from OEM to original engine management.
Trinity Ag
S
I buy lots of parts on Amazon - Ford, BMW, Porsche, VW, Mazda, etc/

You definitely have to be careful, because there are a lot of Chinese fly-by-night part sellers on there.

But you can find what you need.

It is particularly good for little trim bits that are ~$10 that will ship free. It is irritating to pay $10 shipping on a $10 part.

The risk I'll take on non-OEM parts is a calculation of these factors:

- Whats the difference in cost? (3 to 1 -- usually leads to aftermarket purchase)
- Is it a respected brand? (Mahle, Meyle, Bosch, Delphi vs rando Chinese brand)
- How big a PITY is it to redo if something fails? (Is this a 30 minute DIY, or a 6 hour DIY?)
- Whats the cost of failure (will my engine grenade? Or just cause inconvenience?)
Furlock Bones
AG
i've had good luck with amazon overall. but, i did order a Spicer part that came damaged. so, i had to wait again for the replacement to come. that was annoying.
sts7049
AG
the chinese are getting sneaky now
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.