Horrible sound coming from drivers side on an '04 Chevy Silverado..

1,268 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by MouthBQ98
CFBCommenter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have an 04 Silverado with 200,000 miles on it. When I accelerate, it sounds like chains are being thrashed and rattled around. Any idea what this could be? I took it to the shop and they said the U joint looked fine and transmission looked good. Don't know why they couldn't find the issue. The sound only occurs when the wheels are turning, not when the engine is revved in neutral. Truck drives fine, just a horrible noise. TIA
Picard
AG
Does this happen when you turn the wheel while not moving? If so, power steering pump.

AgEng06
AG
That's just your singing...
sts7049
AG
if the noise is as loud as you say and that shop couldn't figure it out, don't use them in the future.
aggie_wes
AG
Wheel bearing.
AgEng06
AG
If it's 4WD, maybe the CV axles?
Red Fishing Ag93
AG
My '04 with 265k is doing the same. I jacked up the front two wheels and checked wheel bearings and they are smooth and solid. Still working on diagnosis as I have time.
CFBCommenter
The noise occurs when I'm in motion, whether driving straight or turning/forward or reverse. Wheel bearings are good. I will take it to another shop, the previous one was highly recommended but I felt they rushed it in and out and replaced both control arms w/ ball joint. Yet the truck still makes the sound. Drives pretty normal for the most part.
AggieChemist
AG
Those are just love murmurs from a long term relationship. They can only be heard after a truck has been paid off for a decade.
MouthBQ98
AG
Broken/cracked flex plate. Almost no doubt. Common. Look up online.
CFBCommenter
Might be flexplate. How long can I drive with it like this? Needing to go to Austin (from Houston) for the weekend so won't be able to repair right now.
MouthBQ98
AG
I no telling. If that is it it may take the load for a while but if it is cracked all around it could suddenly break free which would detach your crankshaft from the transmission effectively. I had the one in my Chevy 2500 crack and start making that crazy rattling noise. Got it fixed for $500 or so. Couldn't DIY that because it really requires a bit of lift. It's a few hours to one-day type job for a repair place usually only because they have to track down the right flex plate.

If it's a partial crack, it could hold up a while.
CFBCommenter
The sound has pretty much gone away, at least for now. Wtf is going on?
Ag for Life
AG
If it ends up being the flexplate I have one off of a 2005 5.3 sitting in my garage that I will give you for free.
PFG
AG
I had an 04 Silverado 1500 with a noise I couldn't find.

Finally diagnosed as a bad carrier bearing on the drive shaft.

Mine started as a low hum and got louder and louder. Never reached the "chains being thrashed" noise level, but just something else to check out.
Red Fishing Ag93
AG
New U-joints fixed mine.
Drewmeister
AG
If it were the flex plate, you'd probably hear it revving it up in neutral, or in reverse/drive with your foot on the brake. I say "probably" because noises can be weird sometimes, but the input side of the transmission is always turning with the engine, so based on your report, I'd look at the downstream driveline first.
MouthBQ98
AG
Suburban had a bad U joint once that we only heard rattling in a hard turn when the drivetrain was under unusual loads.

When I say bad, one of the internal needle bearings had iron oxide DUST for needles.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.