Tahoe Purchase, Selling Terrain, & Silverado Going Strong

3,251 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 1agswitchin4lanes
TX scallywAG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well... I sold the GMC Terrain and bought the Mrs. a Chevy Tahoe. Migrating from the smaller to mid sized 4 cylinder SUV to the full sized 5.3l V8 for the family and road trips. We had outgrown the Terrain and traveling in it with 2 car seats and luggage was tough. We're loving the Tahoe.

As we all know, Houston gets a ton of rain/storms flooding our road ways a few times a year. I wanted her and the kiddos higher off the ground.

Also, I went with a slightly used 2017 with full, extended warranty to 72K miles & road side assistance versus a new 2018 with stock GM warranty. I got over 33% off new sticker price. Then I landed 94th percentile of blue book pricing while selling her Terrain. I thought we made out well on both ends.

Silver Ice Metallic paint with black leather interior:

I'm still driving the 2011 4.8l V8 Silverado. A couple dedicated pics of the work horse truck below. The Tahoe will be in the garage, but wanted a side by side of my Chevys.

More 2017 Tahoe pics:

Here's some photos of the 2010 Terrain while selling. She was a good car and still clean at 131,000 miles:

My 2011 Chevy Silverado. 113,000 miles currently and going strong:

I removed the terrible red seat covers but gives you an idea of interior room:

Added the bed cover. It's the 6.5 foot size bed so I'm 3 inches bigger than a Suburban . Fun parking in garages:
---
Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
George08
AG
Very nice!
sts7049
easttexasaggie04
AG
I dig
Matsui
AG
Tahoe looks nice. Congrats!
Hey Zeus
Next stop 30A.
TX scallywAG
AG
Thanks for the compliments!

Hey Zeus said:

Next stop 30A.

We actually had just driven the Silverado to Florida last month. While it wasn't a bad drive with all the luggage and beach gear under the bed cover (wouldn't have fit in Terrain), all 4 of us in the truck cab for the 8 hour haul (broke up drove) was a bit cramped. That trip definitely factored into the Tahoe purchase
---
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Is the Tahoe an ex rental?
TX scallywAG
AG
It was a single party trade in/sale. I'd personally shy away from previous rentals or leases.
Complaint Investigator
AG
I've been looking at SUV's. Where'd you buy it? That's a great deal
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Aggie MHA said:

It was a single party trade in/sale. I'd personally shy away from previous rentals or leases.
Cool.

You gotta watch Texas Direct Auto, 85% or more of their cars are former rental or lease units.

Like this one.... Low miles, well equipped.

Run the VIN and it was a former Enterprise rental car.

Silvy
AG
I can just envision it
aggiepaintrain
AG
looks pretty similar to me
FJB
dubi
Ag for Life
AG
Oh snap!

We had an old 2010 Expy rental for about 3 years. Bought it at 45K and traded it in at 95K and really had no major issues. Cars are always a crap shoot however you slice it.
Complaint Investigator
AG
Yeahhhhh....I'm not buying from TDA after seeing them buy 1ags' truck.
Mr. Dubi
I sold my MAZDASPEED3 to TDA. One owner, as new, four years old. All they had to do was put a window sticker on it.
Complaint Investigator
AG
Mr. Dubi said:

I sold my MAZDASPEED3 to TDA. One owner, as new, four years old. All they had to do was put a window sticker on it.

I'm still not going to take the chance yours was almost totaled and put back together to be sold by them. Buyer beware - 1ags' didn't have a bad carfax at all.
TX scallywAG
AG
They have 2500 cars rolling through. They sold 2 Tahoes I was eyeing in 1 day. Another similar vehicle to mine (yr, color) isn't surprising.

I asked the question and was told 1 private owner. I know the holding company who sold it to me was a TDA LLC vs a rental company (such as Ean Holding LLC example) using TDA. I have records of the sold by LLC. Those 2 factors and a 72K bumper to bumper, inside & out, warranty had me feeling fine.

They could've lied to me. Sure. The LLC listed could be some masking conspiracy... but then why openly list other sellers directly linked to rentals with a quick google search.

Keep in mind, I sold my Terrain to them in great shape. Saw seveal others sell them very nice cars under 2 years old. Some folks buy & sell at whim. I took advantage of that.

Do your homework, test drive, look under the hood, and get the extended warranty (which is honored at most GM dealers in my case).
---
Salt of the water
AG
Aggie MHA said:

Do your homework, test drive, look under the hood, and get the extended warranty (which is honored at most GM dealers in my case).

Homework - yes

Test drive - yes

Look under the hood - sure, but a pre purchase inspection by a mechanic who puts it on a lift is even better

Extended warranty - pass unless it meets one of three criteria:
1. High performance German
2. Land rover
3. Is darn near free and you're absolutely sure they aren't sticking it to you somewhere else in the deal.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
TDA buys stuff from auction and sells it to the new owner under their name, TDA or Left Gate.

So when a consumer buy it , it's not being sold from EAN or The previous owners name.

EAN = Enterprise Alamo National

If you post your VIN, we can run a Carfax on it for you and make sure TDA didn't lie to you.

Complaint Investigator
AG
Salt of the water said:

Aggie MHA said:

Homework - yes

Test drive - yes

Look under the hood - sure, but a pre purchase inspection by a mechanic who puts it on a lift is even better

Extended warranty - pass unless it meets one of three criteria:
1. High performance German
2. Land rover
3. Is darn near free and you're absolutely sure they aren't sticking it to you somewhere else in the deal.

4. You bought it from Texas Direct Auto
Whitetail
AG
Popcorn...please post the VIN!
QuitTrippin
So basically this is an exercise in how to buy a former rental.
Thanks OP!
AgsWin
AG
Nice looking Tahoe. Most of the 2017 Tahoes/Suburban/Yukon on the market right now are rental rockets.

I buy cars at auction right next to the Vroom (TDA) buyers and they are not afraid of buying rentals.
Ag for Life
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

TDA buys stuff from auction and sells it to the new owner under their name, TDA or Left Gate.

So when a consumer buy it , it's not being sold from EAN or The previous owners name.

If you post your VIN, we can run a Carfax on it for you and make sure TDA didn't lie to you.

Is there any recourse if they did lie? Would they have to take the vehicle back? Genuinely curious here
TSW2012
AG
Ag for Life said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

Is there any recourse if they did lie? Would they have to take the vehicle back? Genuinely curious here

If it's not in writing basically it doesn't matter. Purchase agreements have language saying they they constitute the entirety of any agreement between the parties.
The Wonderer
AG
TSW2012 said:

Ag for Life said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

If it's not in writing basically it doesn't matter. Purchase agreements have language saying they they constitute the entirety of any agreement between the parties.
Not entirely true. There are actions for fraudulent inducement claims.
Complete Idiot
1agswitchin4lanes said:

The Tahoe has a tow hitch, the rental companies don't rent trucks with tow hitches do they?
sts7049
AG
the frontier i had a few months ago from avis had a receiver on it.
TX scallywAG
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Why would they do it for some but not others? I saw some listed as EAN. Seems odd to go through the trouble for some but ignore on others.

Don't really want to post my VIN online. It was on the paper plate I edited out.

I'm not overly concerned with it but appreciate the interest in helping out a fellow Ag. Correct, verbal but nothing in writing. Risks come with any used car. It's in great shape & was an awesome price with warranty. Unfortunately some rentals (vs 1st party) are taken better care of regarding routine maintenance. I'm also more careful about parking further out with rentals to avoid hassles upon return. Pick your poison there. I'd never seek out a lease or rental. That burnout video had me cracking me though.

Regarding the warranty, it was fairly cheap. I don't have AAA and it came with road side assistance. That alone is nice for the family. I also know 2 people first hand who have used it for repairs that cost over what I paid. My local GM dealer accepts it.
---
Whitetail
AG
Complete Idiot said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

The Tahoe has a tow hitch, the rental companies don't rent trucks with tow hitches do they?
Of course they do.
Complete Idiot
Whitetail said:

Complete Idiot said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

Of course they do.
Interesting, I had looked into renting a vehicle to tow a trailer a few years ago and it seemed like the major rental companies all had wording stating " no hitch and no towing allowed". I had taken that to mean no hitch receiver installed if they truly cared about liability, I guess it's "at your own risk" if they have a no tow policy but DO keep the receiver on their rental vehicles.

I think I was looking because it was a one way move and it seemed like car rental plus trailer rental was cheaper than uhaul truck rental. Or it may have been a travel trailer and delivery was cost prohibited and I didn't want to drive up and back. Can't even remember but I like that it's a option to use standard SUV rentals to tow.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Complete Idiot said:

Whitetail said:

Complete Idiot said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

Of course they do.
Interesting, I had looked into renting a vehicle to tow a trailer a few years ago and it seemed like the major rental companies all had wording stating " no hitch and no towing allowed". I had taken that to mean no hitch receiver installed if they truly cared about liability, I guess it's "at your own risk" if they have a no tow policy but DO keep the receiver on their rental vehicles.

I think I was looking because it was a one way move and it seemed like car rental plus trailer rental was cheaper than uhaul truck rental. Or it may have been a travel trailer and delivery was cost prohibited and I didn't want to drive up and back. Can't even remember but I like that it's a option to use standard SUV rentals to tow.
In the early 90s till the early 00's, Enterprise was ordering trucks without tow package and deleting the hitches due to liability. They used to delete everything, OnStar, side impact airbags, keyless entry etc. Then later they found out that it was harming them on the back end when they went to re-market the vehicles, that a pickup truck without tow pack/hitch etc was not desirable, they stopped deleting. I think they tried to remove hitches and put them in a warehouse until the trucks came off rental but it was too big of a PITA. They still have the 'no towing allowed' on their contract, but I dont think they're really big about enforcing it. Now Enterprise Truck rental is a different story. They DGAF if you tow. Enterprise also got sued about 10-15 years ago for selling a car that was advertised with side impact airbags (which they deleted when they ordered the car) and a woman got into a wreck and was severely injured.

AustinCountyAg
Nothing like a dude posting about his proud new vehicle purchase, only to have it ripped to shreds and having him second guessing that he got screwed over by a shady used car place..... Texags!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.