Murano vs Santa Fe

2,732 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by The Original AG 76
The Original AG 76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gotta pull the trigger this coming week. Car was totaled this week and I only have 5 days rental.
Narrowed it down to Murano or Santa Fe. Don't need 3rd row , matter of fact we never use second row. No one but us ever use car. But both cars come standard with 3rdrow. No big deal as we will just always have it down . Santa Fe Sport just doesn't work and neither does the Rouge .
Both drive great and are priced close. Love Hyundai warranty but also have owned several Infiniti's and love em.
I would buy another Infiniti but there are no dealers in BCS and don't want to drive to Hou for service/warranty.
Anyone have any clear issues or positives for either??
Thank in advance
aTm_bomb
AG
Have a 17 Santa Fe. 25k miles and no issues. Has radar cruise, 360 camera blind spot alert, and carplay/Android auto, yada yada yada. Plenty of people and comfortable for all our hauling needs. You can also get with 2nd row captain chairs instead of a bench if you get the Limited trim. 100 stars from me.
aggiepaintrain
AG
pretty sure Nissan can do Infiniti service and possibly warranty work, might want to double check.

Would avoid a CVT at all cost, so Murano would be out for me
FJB
The Original AG 76
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

pretty sure Nissan can do Infiniti service and possibly warranty work, might want to double check.

Would avoid a CVT at all cost, so Murano would be out for me

I checked. Nissan dealers will not work on Infiniti. Infiniti dealer said only options are driving to a Infiniti store. Leaves out having an Infiniti in BCS
Why the hate for CVT ? We have a Murano rental now and it's not noticeable. Is there a legit reason to avoid CVT ?
Oautlawag2005
AG
Just got rid of my Sante Fe and will never have another. Go with the murano
The Original AG 76
AG
oats005 said:

What were your issues please
SteveA
AG
We have a 2011 Murano with ~70k miles. We had a bad radio knob that was replaced under warranty. No issues other than that. CVT has been perfect.
aTm_bomb
AG
Also, Hyundai is redesigning the SF Sport and Santa Fe so might get some good deals on remaining inventory of current model. Also, purely subjective, but Hyundais look much better than Nissan right now.
Sazerac
AG
Murano looks nicer inside and out IMO and I haven't minded the CVT when I drive the infiniti qx60.

YouBet
AG
Parent's have a Santa Fe. They bought a Highlander and traded it in after about 3 months for the Santa Fe and love it. I had a Sonata at one point. I would go Hyundai all day over the Murano but I'm a Hyundai homer.

(Also drove a 1989 Maxima which I gd loved but that was a long time ago.)
Tim Weaver
CVT's are new and people are afraid of new things. Also, mechanics haven't figured out all the tricks to a CVT like the plain old automatic.

CVT's are fine. Some will have issues, but then so will anything else. Getting your CVT serviced properly will be a little harder than getting a regular trans serviced.

And, CVT's would be so much cooler, and last a lot longer, if the general public didn't need to feel the "gears shifting".

It all boils down to there being a stigma surrounding new technologies. Case in point: most places will not rebuild a CVT, they will only replace it. Even though they are typically fully rebuildable just like an auto or manual.
JoeAggie1010
I owned a 2015 Rouge, and currently still drive a 2013 Altima. Both vehicles have CVTs and performed as advertised. I just went through Raton and Trinidad with the cruise set at 80. It climbed those hills with no issues.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Why not a Rav4? I think its a better vehicle than either mentioned.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

Is there a legit reason to avoid CVT ?

Not really any more. Nissan had some serious issues with them in the 2000s. They might still fail as any transmission might, but I haven't seen a comparison given similar vehicles.
TX scallywAG
AG
I know another Ag here who had a ton of Sante Fe issues including replacing the transmission.

Heard a few car sales folks joking about how terrible Kia and Hyundai hold their values, causing them to see upside loans on trade ins often.

Those 2 things together scared me from ever considering one. At that size, for imports I'd be looking at a Toyota Highlander.
---
Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
The Original AG 76
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

Isn't a Rav4 a kid car ? We are old farts and will be using it to cruise around the country in as much comfort as possible.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

91AggieLawyer said:

Isn't a Rav4 a kid car ? We are old farts and will be using it to cruise around the country in as much comfort as possible.

Old farts? Get something just a little bigger.
Honda Pilot.
John Francis Donaghy
The Original AG 76 said:

91AggieLawyer said:

Mother in law just bought a Rav4 as her retirement car and loves it. No 3rd row, and plenty of room for bags in the back.

She was dead set on a Rav4 because all of her retired friends had them and they all loved them.
reproag
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

91AggieLawyer said:

Not necessarily. Usually older couples with kids gone.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
The CVT in the Murano also kills it for me too.

Owned a 3 Row LWB Santa Fe in China and loved it.
dubi
AG
oats005 said:

I have a 2014 Santa Fe and love it!
dubi
AG
Quote:

Heard a few car sales folks joking about how terrible Kia and Hyundai hold their values, causing them to see upside loans on trade ins often.

Do you know if this is true?

Hearing some ******* salesmen joke about it would not convince me.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG

SteveA
AG
I don't get the CVT hate in the Murano. Never been an issue for us, but I don't expect sports car performance.
DannyDuberstein
AG
JD Powah Initial Quality survey. What about lasting quality? [/Mahk]
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
SteveA said:

I don't get the CVT hate in the Murano. Never been an issue for us, but I don't expect sports car performance.
I think they drive slightly better now that Nissan has programmed "gears" or "steps" into the CVT now, but the main issue I think lots of people were complaining about was the lack of serviceability, i.e. nobody can rebuild them, it was replace only to the tune of several thousands of dollars. At one point, Nissan had extended the warranty quietly to address many pissed off customers.

The big issue for enthusiasts is the motorboat/rubber band feeling when driving aggressively. It appears now that everything FWD based that Nissan has is CVT.

I had a Ford Five Hundred AWD with the CVT, and I didn't mind it that much until I was merging to get on the Freeway, but its purpose was to be a boring commuter vehicle anyway.
SteveA
AG
Right. It's the wife's primary, so I only drive it on trips and family outings, which don't usually involve spirited driving. That's what the GTI is for. We do want something bigger now, with a 3rd row, so looking at MDX, Pilot, CX-9 and HIghlander, and hopefully get to look at an Ascent.
Guitarsoup
AG
Murano Cross Cabriolet might be the greatest car ever made. Easy choice
John Francis Donaghy
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Quote:

Ratings are based on numerical scores, and not necessarily on statistical significance

That definitely helps explain how Buick got named most dependable large production brand.
ktownag08
AG
Had a Kia Sorento for about 6.5 years now. Car has held up great and had 2 minor repairs under warranty (random sensor failed and faulty backup camera) and nothing else except regular maintenance and tires.

I'm awaiting the soon to be released Kia Telluride to replace it in 2-3 years. Will be ready for the full size crossover by then.

Kia provides great quality, nice styling, a fantastic warranty, and good overall value. I used to laugh at Kia's growing up, but I'm a believer.
The Original AG 76
AG
Thanks guys. I took some advise and checked out the Highlander. Might go with it if I can find the color. Murano is very close and could still do
Flaith
AG
Why a Murano over a Pathfinder? Just curious
The Original AG 76
AG
Flaith said:

Why a Murano over a Pathfinder? Just curious

I was told that the Pathfinder is built in their truck frame. We are all about ride and comfort at our advanced fossilized age. But I need to confirm this. Automotive dealer websites are horrible so I guess I'll go to a local dealer and see if anyone actually knows .
runnrboy
AG
That's the old Pathfinder. The fourth generation (since 2013) is a unibody just like the Murano.
SteveA
AG
Yup. Current Pathfinder is basically a long Murano. It shares underpinnings with the Infiniti QX60. Unibody, CVT.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.