Bill of Sale purchase - how to mitigate risk?

1,118 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TX AG 88
TX AG 88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My dream car is a '70-'73 Trans Am that i have built myself from a non-T/A firebird. Why? long story, it just is...

One of these days, I will build it, when I have someplace to do it. But they're getting harder to find (non-rust-destroyed firebirds from those years) and the prices are ever-increasing for worse examples.

So, I keep looking on Craigslist, and I keep seeing somewhat tempting examples that I could buy and store until I am ready to get to work. (Assume my storage cost is free)

Several that I have been most tempted to buy, and perhaps the only thing holding me back from buying them, is lack of a clear title. I understand the process in theory, but I'm hesitant.

If I were to find/negotiate a great deal, how do i guard myself (as best as I can) against the car turning up stolen and somehow losing it?

Any input appreciated. I don't have one RIGHT NOW that I'm considering, but I want to be prepared to make a great (for me) deal on a car using that as a bargaining chip, OR know to avoid them at all costs.
TSW2012
AG
Try to find one that the person selling it can show that they ever had it registered in their name.
Max Power
AG
If the seller has the title in their name you should be good. If it was stolen and their was an insurance claim they would have taken the title. For extra protection you could get a notarized bill of sale and pay the seller by check.

You could also ask the police to run the VIN if you have concerns. Don't buy a car that has no title.
Mookie
AG
Agree wholeheartedly. Get the vin and the sheriffs office will do a check beforehand for you.
TX AG 88
AG
Thanks y'all. One happened to come up that I might actually be interested in... will let this forum know if a deal is done
TX AG 88
AG
not gonna happen, unfortunately. Too many discrepancies and questions left unanswered.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.