Is rain an emergency?

4,358 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Absolute
Salt of the water
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No? Then why are your hazard lights on?!? Everyone else realizes it's raining, no need to turn on your flashers just in case we didn't notice. I wish Texas would go ahead and make this illegal like Louisiana and Florida.

Rant over. I don't know why but hazard flashers in the rain grind my gears.
Waltonloads08
AG
In a very heavy downpour and low light conditions I want to make myself as visible as possible. Not everyone driving has good vision or reaction time.

Weird thing to get upset about.
Cibalo
if they are going 20 mph under the speed limit while it is raining then I appreciate the heads ups and respect for other drivers on the road. If they are passing me going 20 mph over the speed limit then I hope they get 4 flat tires.
Salt of the water
AG
If half the drivers on the road have their hazards on, to denote the hazard that everyone else is also experiencing people start to ignore them. What about the one vehicle that is actually stopped/stalled? They no longer stand out as a true hazard.

Is yellow really that much more visible than your red tail lights?

You have lost the ability to signal turns by having your flashers on.

Quote:

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?
George Carlin

Fairview
AG
Salt of the water said:

If half the drivers on the road have their hazards on, to denote the hazard that everyone else is also experiencing people start to ignore them. What about the one vehicle that is actually stopped/stalled?

That's the problem with it. With poor visibility and slow driving conditions it makes it hard to tell who is moving and who has stopped.
George08
AG
I honk at people who have their hazards on while cruising at normal speeds
labmansid
Salt of the water said:

No? Then why are your hazard lights on?!? Everyone else realizes it's raining, no need to turn on your flashers just in case we didn't notice. I wish Texas would go ahead and make this illegal like Louisiana and Florida.

I agree. To me, the flashers are so much brighter than everything else, at night especially, that the glare from them makes visibility an even bigger issue. In rural areas with no street lighting, that makes for some tense navigating along roads with minimal reflectors and striping. And besides, they are VERY distracting.
Centerpole90
AG
George08 said:

I honk at people who have their hazards on while cursing at normal speeds
FIFY
AG
U haul trailer guy needs a mention in this thread too
BrazosDog02
AG
Bregxit
AG
Salt of the water said:

If half the drivers on the road have their hazards on, to denote the hazard that everyone else is also experiencing people start to ignore them.
If someone is driving way under the speed limit due to the conditions, they should have their hazards on because THEY are the hazard.

If someone is driving near, at or above the speed limit they shouldn't have hazards on.

If someone starts ignoring hazards because multiple people have them on, that is just stupidity that should result in license revocation and crushing of a vehicle.
MouthBQ98
AG
It is STUPID AS HELL because in almost all cars, it operates IN LIEU of BLINKERS. You know, those critical safety devices that indicate you may be about to change lanes or turn? In traffic, to your side, it constantly looks like you're signalling to change lanes or turn because someone next to you can't see the far side of your car.

Hazard lights are for DISABLED vehicles that present a hazard to other drivers on the road. Like, if you are stalled out, or blew a flat, or stuck in a ditch, or already had an accident and can't drive away.

They're not to warn everyone else you might be paranoid or a terrible friggin driver. If you're such a terrible driver that a little rain makes you a road hazard, then PULL OVER on the shoulder and turn your hazards on until it quits raining.

Yes, this is a pet peeve of mine, and even worse are the stupid LEOs that actually endorse this dumb crap without thinking of the danger it represents.
AG
Some of the construction company trucks around here have some awful distracting blinking crap they leave on during the day too. Not sure what this means or if there is some insurance BS reason behind it

I've noticed hazards on a regular car at speed almost always have a paper plate or a tote the note dealer emblem
TSW2012
AG
I hate this too. Especially if you're in anything but the right lane. Also if you feel that the weather is preventing you from traveling the speed limit GTFO of the left lane.
The Fife
Looser morans do it in South Carolina too.
htxag09
AG
I believe it's actually illegal to do this dumb crap in some states. Driving with your hazards on because it's raining, that is.
BrazosDog02
AG
I have decided that these people have a combination of decreased cognitive ability coupled with lack of Rain X. I have come to that conclusion because often, their wipers are screaming full bore. I use that stuff on every vehicle I own. I have never....ever ever ever...had any trouble in the heaviest downpours WITHOUT wipers (much less on delay) going at or above posted speeds after applying Rain X to my windshield 300,000 miles ago.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

I have decided that these people have a combination of decreased cognitive ability coupled with lack of Rain X. I have come to that conclusion because often, their wipers are screaming full bore. I use that stuff on every vehicle I own. I have never....ever ever ever...had any trouble in the heaviest downpours WITHOUT wipers (much less on delay) going at or above posted speeds after applying Rain X to my windshield 300,000 miles ago.
Agreed.

Its mostly folks that have 5 year old cars with the Original wipers and use the gas station carwash, and probably have never thought "maybe I need new wipers" or "maybe I should clean the 5 years of dead bugs, road grime and schmutz off my glass".
maverick12
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

It is STUPID AS HELL because in almost all cars, it operates IN LIEU of BLINKERS. You know, those critical safety devices that indicate you may be about to change lanes or turn? In traffic, to your side, it constantly looks like you're signalling to change lanes or turn because someone next to you can't see the far side of your car.

Hazard lights are for DISABLED vehicles that present a hazard to other drivers on the road. Like, if you are stalled out, or blew a flat, or stuck in a ditch, or already had an accident and can't drive away.

They're not to warn everyone else you might be paranoid or a terrible friggin driver. If you're such a terrible driver that a little rain makes you a road hazard, then PULL OVER on the shoulder and turn your hazards on until it quits raining.

Yes, this is a pet peeve of mine, and even worse are the stupid LEOs that actually endorse this dumb crap without thinking of the danger it represents.

I was going to post, but have nothing to add that isn't already covered here.
Dill-Ag13
AG
You lolpoors don't have a rear fog light?
An Ag in CO
AG
Whew, there is a good reason I haven't seen this crap in Colorado:

Hazard light use is not permitted while driving except if the vehicle speed is 25 mph or less.
AG
Dill-Ag13 said:

You lolpoors don't have a rear fog light?

Got pulled over twice in one evening along I20 because west texas highway patrol doesnt know the difference between rear fog lights and burned out markers on the back of a 90
ac04
i only use my hazard lights to indicate that i'm texting while driving, if it is raining during that time then so be it
The Kraken
AG
I've seen this quite a bit when driving in Latin America.
The Original AG 76
AG
Salt of the water said:

OP.... you do understand that you are wasting your time posting this rant in English. It is highly unlikely that any of the people you are seeing doing this hables ingles !
I suggest that you drive past them yelling. "MIGRA MIGRA " and then watch in wonderment as they panic and hopefully drive off into a ditch .....
Salt of the water
AG
Hooray summer thunderstorms.

Sat in traffic this morning at a light that backs up for about 1/2 mile, creeping forward at 5mph 30 seconds at a time. Truck in front of me was rocking the hazard flashers and full speed wipers the whole time. I could see through my rainxd windshield with no wipers that his windshield was just a blurry smeared mess.
Goose
AG
I'm in the "no-flashers-unless-you're-stopped" camp.
EMY92
AG
I mount one of these in the bed during bad weather.

If it can help pilots find an airport, it will help others see me on the road.

Post removed:
by user
txags92
AG
Salt of the water said:

Hooray summer thunderstorms.

Sat in traffic this morning at a light that backs up for about 1/2 mile, creeping forward at 5mph 30 seconds at a time. Truck in front of me was rocking the hazard flashers and full speed wipers the whole time. I could see through my rainxd windshield with no wipers that his windshield was just a blurry smeared mess.

Driving around bw8 this afternoon, there was one going 35 in the left lane with his hazards on in moderate rain. I am sure he was convinced he was a beacon of safety to others around him, but the steady stream of cars and trucks passing to his right suggested otherwise.
Absolute
AG
Honestly not sure why rainx is not a required thing. Makes such a difference. Had a rental SUV and RV last weekend for a family reunion trip. Had the pleasure of driving both in REALLY heavy rain. Neither had rainx. It sucked. I have gotten to the point that I often apply it to rentals for these trips. I miss it so much when I don't have it.

Tie to thread - saw lots of flashers and people going 20 at times. Didn't bother me that much, though I did not feel the need.
EMY92
AG
Ceramic coating on the glass will make you hate Rain X.

I applied a coating 15 months ago and it's still better than Rain X can dream of.
Absolute
AG
EMY92 said:

Ceramic coating on the glass will make you hate Rain X.

I applied a coating 15 months ago and it's still better than Rain X can dream of.

Interested...... How do I aquire this new fangled tech?
EMY92
AG
There's a little known website called Amazon, you can find some there.

The key to applying this is the prep work.
Absolute
AG
Assuming I can locate this shady sounding south American retail place, is there a particular brand you recommend?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.