Do I need a new windshield?

1,672 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Tim Weaver
johnrth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I just noticed a crack in my windshield that is about 8-10" in length. It starts at the bottom maybe an inch from the cowls comes up about 4" then curves and is starting to go across. It starts at about the end of the passenger side windshield wiper by the shark fin shape that the wipers don't get. I don't now how I just noticed it but its there. I don't remember hearing anything like it got hit. Its odd that I just noticed it 6hrs after I left the dealership after getting an oil change. I don't think they caused it since I don't think a crack can form that big in such a short time, but even if they did I have zero proof.

So as the title states, do I need a new windshield or is something like that repairable?

Any recs in the Spring Woodlands area?

ETA: 2013 F150 if it matters and what is ballpark price on either services?
AgEng06
AG
Most likely yes. Probably not repairable.

And there was probably a nick in the window out if your sight, and the hot weather plus a door slam or some other jarring action caused the window to split. I've had it happen a couple of times over the years (currently in need of a windshield replacement on our 14 Explorer right now for this reason).
drumboy
AG
My brother has a Crack eraser product that worked well.
sts7049
AG
did they wash your truck after the oil change by chance?
TXTransplant
Had something similar on my Infiniti wagon in Jan. Heard the rock hit (this was right after the "snowstorm", and I was driving on BW 8, where I think they had put down gravel) but didn't see anything. Turns out the chip/star was on the very edge of the glass, where it's basically black. Star grew into an 8"+ crack overnight, and grew probably at least another 2" by the second day. Guy told me it wasn't repairable because the integrity of the glass had been destroyed (basically, the pressure of whatever it is they inject to fill the void would actually make the damage worse).

I live in The Woodlands and took it to 7 Stars Auto Glass on 2920 (just east of Gosling). My car was almost brand new, and I paid OOP, and it was very reasonable (I think I paid ~$500; was expecting it to be $1000 because the car was so new). Repair took a couple of hours on a Saturday morning. They have pretty much every windshield in stock in their warehouse, and it doesn't appear to be the cheap Chinese glass, either. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.
ac04
in the vast majority of cases, if the crack is bigger than a dollar bill it isn't repairable.
johnrth
Thanks everyone. I guess I'll look at replacing the windshield. I marked it this morning to see if it grows any more today. Hopefully it doesnt since I'll be driving up to Wyoming next week and I don't really want to replace it now then have to get another new one if I get another rock chip on the way there or back.
Southpaw 07
AG
While most places won't repair a crack longer than a dollar bill, some will. I had a large (12"+) crack in my wife's windshield repaired by a guy who has a kiosk in a parking lot on Richmond OTL. I think it cost me $20, repair has held for a couple of years so far.
Tim Weaver
Also, if the crack isn't in your line of sight while driving, it will pass inspection.

My Excursion had lots of cracks, but it always passed inspection. I never worried about it. 400 bones bought a lot of diesel, and I could still see out.....
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.