Reco: portable tire inflation

1,203 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Kenneth_2003
Sazerac
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tons of low cost options on Amazon.

Anyone own one that they recommend?
MouthBQ98
AG
ViaAir handheld. Fast and super powerful. Like ridiculous.
Sazerac
AG
Specific model? Tons of Viair products on Amazon
MouthBQ98
AG
I think I have an 85 or 88.
Naveronski
AG
Yes, 88P, IIRC.

They're recommended due to their price/reliability/east of filling a tire balance.

Not as great as ARB, but not as expensive, either.
pnut02
AG
Happy with my Viair 85P
cohibasymas
AG
I'll second Viair. We have the 450P-RV for our motorhome. That thing is a boss. I'll add that the current price on Prime is $10 less than what I paid a year ago.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
I like the 85 and 88s.
AgTech88
AG
I learned the hard way - the big deal with the portable compressors is the "duty cycle" That's is basically how long it will run continuous at max PSI before it overheats and shuts down. It is listed in %of an hour (I think - more is better) or just says how many minutes. On my Jeep when I air up after being on the trail I have to take 4 - 35" tires from 12 to 35 psi. The cheap harbor freight specials would make it through 1-11/2 tires and shut down for 15 minutes. The 8x series is great for the Jeep example. The 4053 listed above is for RV's - big volume tires at high psi which is probably overkill even for the Jeep much less just adding some air to street tires.
Probably old news to most of you, but wish someone would have explained it to me before I waste $$ on the cheap ones.....
cohibasymas
AG
You're dead on regarding the duty cycle. It's one of the reasons I bought that particular model.

"450P-RV Automatic offers an automatic shut-off function in a larger portable compressor. This 100% duty cycle unit is capable of pressures up to 150 PSI and can be operated for up to 40 minutes at a time before needing to be rested."
EMY92
AG
That's true with larger recip air compressors as well.
Kenneth_2003
AG
cclearman said:

Tons of low cost options on Amazon.

Anyone own one that they recommend?
What type of vehicle are you looking at? I have one of the ViaAir models. I picked the 90P because I wanted to be able to achieve the higher pressures of 3/4 ton trucks. Plenty of the more affordable units will get the 30 psi for a passenger car or the 35-45 psi for a half ton truck.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.