2015 Tahoe A/C Blowing Warm

6,792 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Silvy
Bassmaster
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I brought my wife's 2015 Tahoe to my local shop and they ran a dye test but did not see any leaks. They said that it was almost out of refrigerant, so they refilled it and told me to monitor whether I could see any refrigerant leaks after driving. I checked the drips under the car after driving on numerous occasions and never found anything other than water. It ran fine for about 6 weeks and now is blowing warm again. I read about a condenser problem with these models. But my question is whether a dye test would reveal a condenser leak. It seems like it would, but I would also guess that there are areas behind the condenser where a leak may go undetected. I want to have my shop just replace the condenser if that is likely the culprit, but obviously I don't want to pay for it and have the problem be somewhere else. What does the all-knowing auto board say?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Refrigerant is a gas and will not drip.

If the condensor does have a leak in it due to rock damage, you may be able to file an insurance claim, but probably better to just pay out of pocket.

The shop should have been able to detect the leak if it only lasted 6 weeks.
Bassmaster
AG
Well that doesn't sound good. Thanks.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Assuming youre out of 3/36 warranty?
chimpanzee
I had a friend with a '15 or '16 Suburban that had the a/c fail just out of warranty, I wouldn't be surprised if it were a known issue.
Bassmaster
AG
Yep. I'm not really worried about paying for it, I just want to get it fixed. I just checked and it was exactly 2 months since I brought it in. My mechanic was stumped because they couldn't find the leak anywhere, but he acknowledged that there had to be one somewhere. He refilled the levels and told me to bring it back in when it ran out again. He didn't charge me, so he's not churning costs.
AG
If it is the condenser I think they are fixing it now under warranty - check with your local dealer. I originally had mine fail just out of warranty and paid for repair on my own. Got a letter from GM a few months later they were doing reimbursements. Took about 6 weeks, but I received a check for the full amount of repair.
Bassmaster
AG
I'll give that a try, but from reading about the issue online, it sounded like this route would not likely end well.
SCHTICK00
AG
It's the condenser. Top right side looking at the grill. Warranty was extended for this problem.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
17336-03: Special Coverage Air Conditioning Condenser (Combi-Cooler) Refrigerant Leak 2015-2017 Cadillac Chevrolet GMC

Condition:

On some 2015-2017 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe, GMC Yukon and Yukon XL vehicles, may have a condition where thermal cycling on the combination transmission fluid/oil and AC condenser cooler creates a crack that may allow refrigerant to escape. This condition consequently may deactivate the AC system which may cause potential customer annoyance."annoyance" in 110F weather....

Special Coverage Adjustment

This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 5 years or 60,000 miles (100,000 km) for Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe, GMC Yukon and Yukon XL and 6 years or 72,000 miles (116,000 km) for Cadillac Escalade and Escalade ESV, whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.

For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after October 6, 2017, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to October 6, 2017, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

Vehicle owners or lessees who paid for repairs referenced in this Special Coverage ("Customers") are eligible for reimbursement of their reasonable and customary expenses in accordance with the procedures specified below. The conditional right to reimbursement is provided by GM solely in the interest of customer satisfaction and is personal to Customers. Customers may not assign and GM does not consent to any assignment of any Customer's right to submit reimbursement claims, or to receive reimbursement, or any other rights granted by this Special Coverage to any third party, including but not limited to service contract providers, and this Special Coverage is not intended to and does not confer any third party beneficiary, subrogation or contribution rights, or any other rights to reimbursement, against GM, whether in law, equity or otherwise, on any third parties.
Correction Dealers are to inspect the air conditioning condenser and replace if necessary. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.
Bassmaster
AG
This is the one I saw. We are under 5 years but just over 60k miles.
Bassmaster
AG
Thanks, I think so too.
SCHTICK00
AG
Bassmaster said:

Thanks, I think so too.

We and everyone I know with a 15 Yukon/Tahoe has had this same issue and all just out of warranty.
drewser95
AG
Bassmaster said:

This is the one I saw. We are under 5 years but just over 60k miles.
Were you under 60K miles 6 weeks ago when the problem first popped up?
EskimoJoe
I believe gm extended the warranty on the condenser. I got a notice in the mail a while back. you should be covered even though you are outside of the 5yr/60k mile warranty
Bassmaster
AG
Nope
Bassmaster
AG
Almost a year later and we've replaced the condenser, Schrader valve, and an o ring in the port, and the problem still is not fixed. No idea what is next.
Picard
AG
Bassmaster said:

Almost a year later and we've replaced the condenser, Schrader valve, and an o ring in the port, and the problem still is not fixed. No idea what is next.

Buy an Expedition

sts7049
AG
did you not ever pursue the warranty claim?
sts7049
AG
also, if your local shop has done all that and it still doesn't work you need a new shop
Bassmaster
AG
It was out of warranty even with the extension.
Bassmaster
AG
I agree, I'm bringing it to a different shop this week.
snaglepuss
Evaporator.
longeryak
Just had this happen at a hair over 60K. The Mag Ride suspension failed before 50K. This will be both our first and last GM product.
Bassmaster
AG
What was the problem? Evap, as snagle said?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
longeryak said:

Just had this happen at a hair over 60K. The Mag Ride suspension failed before 50K. This will be both our first and last GM product.
I've got a 2013 Escalade platinum I'm working on right now, 38K miles, rides like a covered wagon. Failed MagRide...
rebag00
AG
Thankfully I just saw this! My AC just started blowing not-so-cool and I was going to take it in, after a trip, that would have put me over 72K. I am going to take in immediately to get them to check it out/fix under warranty.

What do people do about failed magride? Just replace and bite that bullet? Is there a less expensive alternative?
longeryak
1agswitchin4lanes said:

longeryak said:

I've got a 2013 Escalade platinum I'm working on right now, 38K miles, rides like a covered wagon. Failed MagRide...
That is such a perfect description.
Bassmaster
AG
snaglepuss said:

Evaporator.
Snagle wins. The new shop said that this problem is not related to the earlier problems. He said the leak was so big that anybody with two eyes could have seen it.
Silvy
AG
I take it you didn't google "2015 Tahoe AC not working"
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.