Repair versus replace--a lot of questions.

1,466 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by FC12
3rd Generation Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Please be patient. I am a 70 year old grandmother who knows nothing beyond putting key in, how to change a flat even if I no longer have the strength to do it, and watching the gas gauge. I am hoping to retire from teaching in four years. Due to family and health issues do not have a ton of money saved for that time.

To be clear, I want the least expensive dependable transportation and know that before I stop driving at around 80 I will have to replace my current car. The issue is sort of now or later.

Here is a long post from another Texags forum. I thought I was too unknowing to think about coming here for advice. The first part is about repair. If I could get my current car where I could trust it for road trips, then that would let me delay till I could take a partial lump sum at retirement and pay cash for a new car without going into savings.

I don't however trust my car right now, and don't have a clue how serious the noises it makes are. The first parit then is asking about repairs and costs. I don't talk cars, but noise sounds like the frame is coming apart, sort of like an old building makes when the wind is blowing.

I am leaning toward replacing. But need tons of input on how to do that. I know it is long. Sorry.
I know nothing about cars and have never bought one alone--the men in the family always did the dealing.

I have a 2007 Lincoln something maybe with an M?--with way over a hundred thousand miles. I bought it in 2010 used from my brother, but he is not replacing a car right not. I know it has essentially no value for resale at this age and mileage. It has been a great car but now has a number of issues. I am trying to hold onto as much of my savings as possible for retirement and figure my next car will be the last one before I am too old to drive. I expect to drive it ten to fifteen years.

Car issues--Passenger door won't open, handle not engaged. Have to lower window and reach outside to open it--might be a safety issue if I have to get out of it quickly. Second, air is not working well. It is only cooling slightly and on a really hot day can take 30 minutes. On one or two occasions it never started putting out cold air. Next, the car squeaks and groans. At times I thing people will turn and stare at the noise--especially when moving at slow speed. It also lets me feel every bounce in the road. I am not secure enough to take it on road trips, even to drive the 40 miles to my son across town. Most minor--the phone charger stuck in the cigarette lighter and has been that way for several years.

Any wild guesses on the costs of repairs or what the sound that sort of sounds like the frame is coming apart could be.

So now I am faced with looking for an honest low cost mechanic in the central to west metroplex to try to get a number of things fixed--some I have no idea what they are or cost.

Or looking for a new vehicle--probably new to get a service and such, and warranty. But I want the cheapest option if I do that with only a few requirements. I wish I could get a small SUV type so I could have better visibility. My sedan has trouble seeing over things at intersections, but they are WAY too costly. So will probably look at compact sedans. I want automatic, air, and rear view camera--it is getting hard for me to twist enough to safely back up.

I am leaning toward a new car but HATE the cost. I have read that dealers really try to screw with elderly single females. A number of people have said to look for the car online, but I don't have a clue How to go about that. What search engine or website do you use ?

I have looked lists for the top cars and suv types at the least money. I plan on making a list and going to actually look at cars at dealers. Other than no burnt orange or black, I don't care fi the car is candy striped with polka dot interior. I want dependable transportation that can let me feel safe when I am on the road. My kids had said no smart cars--so that idea is out.

I am highly open to suggestions. And especially anyone that knows how to look for car deals online.
Naveronski
AG
I'm guessing it's a 2007 Lincoln MKZ

The shocks probably need to be replaced and the AC may be as simple as recharging the freon.

The passenger door handle is usually a small plastic clip that can easily have broken.

None of these are very expensive on their own, especially if your son or someone can handle the labor themselves.

But it comes down to time and labor, which can get expensive.
MouthBQ98
AG
Keep in mind you can purchase a very reliable used car a few years old for quite an affordable price. You don't necessarily have to go new.

It is almost always cheaper to pay for repairs on a vehicle unless we are talking major engine failure, or many things constantly breaking, especially once you've already fully paid it off, and aren't making payments on it.

The issues you describe very well may be relatively inexpensive, so if you like the car, it could be worth keeping.
chimpanzee
You are asking good questions, so don't worry about being in the wrong place. I hope that we can help.

Your existing car sounds like it has suspension issues, either worn shocks/struts and/or bushings. Replacement could be cheap, or it could be more than the car is worth, very difficult to know without a detailed look. Your skepticism is well placed as I have had shops try to sell my wife services that her car was physically incapable of receiving.

Old cars are likely to have recurring issues, but you might get lucky getting this round of issues fixed and have many more years of trouble free service. It's a gamble either way, but if you can swing it, a low mile used Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic sounds like it would be a good option. A Toyota Yaris or Honda Fit would be good transportation, but you're getting into very small car territory there. These typically don't have the issues like you are experiencing with your Lincoln. They are reasonably comfortable, economical, well built, simple, and are sold based on these attributes alone.

New is great for the warranty, but used, these types of cars aren't going to cost you much on repairs anyway, so shop around on autotrader.com or carvana.com and see what is out there in your budget.

Good luck.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Some of those repairs might be cheap parts BUT they might not be.
The AC could need a compressor, the suspension might be the struts, sway bars, shocks.
The door handle is easy. And you are right OP finding a trusted mechanic is tough, suspension & AC problems could cost $2k+
Belt/Pulley is cheap as well but still a couple hundred with parts/labor.

I would scrap the Lincoln, once they get some age on them they fall apart, and find slightly used Corolla, Camry, Highlander, or Avalon depending on your budget.

FJB
ac04
agree, gently used toyota sounds just right
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
See my post in the other forum.
reproag
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

I would scrap the Lincoln, once they get some age on them they fall apart, and find slightly used Corolla, Camry, Highlander, or Avalon depending on your budget.

A Rav4 would also be a good option.
Complete Idiot
You can get a used CR-V or Rav4 via private sale (provided you can handle the one page paperwork at the local tax office to register and title) for under $10K and get a car that will last 10 years. I think the issues you listed on the Lincoln are not expensive to repair individually but I don't think that car will last 10 more years without needing some major work - it may be time for a gently used reliable car.

I am sorry you have to work 4 more years, I have some retired teachers in my family and I had been told the teacher retirement system is quite good. Perhaps you did not tech in public schools, but I hope retirement comes as soon as possible for you.
Jack Cheese
AG
If you decide to buy a car, definitely update this thread and say so. There are folks here who are in sales (or have contacts in dealerships) who will treat you fairly and help you out with the purchase.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
On the teach four more years. Retirement is good IF all in public schools that pay well. I took years off to stay at home with my kids, but still have 37 years in education. Fifteen of those not in public schools. I have the years to retire but moved to Central Texas to take care of my father, and the schools there don't pay well. In fact at the 20 year top-where you never get another raise--you make less than first year teachers in the metroplex. So at the urging of my daughter I applied and amazingly go a job up here making almost 17 thousand a years more. But I have to get the average up. Four more years should do it and give me enough public school years to have about half my salary to live on. We lose our social security almost entirely due to a strange law that only effects six states or so therefore no one is highly interested in fixing the problem. The biggest problem with retiring is that the health insurance for retirees is horrid in costs. For many it is taking almost their entire check. Why I want to leave as much in savings as possible.

On buying used, I just don't trust myself to know a good car. My brother's wife drove this one worry free for three years and they knew it was a great car. It has been great and other than oil changes and such had not had a single trip to the shop in the years and miles I have had it. But it is starting to have issues.
Jack Cheese
AG
Some used cars qualify as *certified pre-owned* through the factory. They carry excellent warranties, sometimes better than new cars. They go through an extensive set of checks at the dealership in order to verify that the car is in good working condition.

They are a bit more expensive and have to be bought at the dealership, but still less money than a new car and often a great value for someone like you who wants to avoid the worry. Just a thought. Good luck to you.
Waltonloads08
AG
reproag said:

aggiepaintrain said:

A Rav4 would also be a good option.

This, the 4 cylinder models are ridiculously reliable.
Burdizzo
AG
A coworker I had a few years ago was in a situation similar to this. Older gentleman, approaching retirement, empty nester, didn't want to break the bank on a car that was purely for utility for him and his wife. He eventually ended up with a certified pre-owned Toyota Corolla with less than 20k miles). Got a heck of a deal by paying cash.

The only downside was that about 18 months after he got the car it started running bad. He took it to the dealer, and they found a tracking device on the OBD port that was interfering with the engine. They took it off, and he car ran fine. Best we were able to figure out was that the original owner probably had marginal credit, and the finance company installed it on the car in the event they needed to repo it.
PPlayboy87
AG
The certified pre-owned might be a good option. Is there anyway that your son can go with you to lessen the likelihood of the dealer taking advantage of you?

I know it may be more work, but if you are thinking of doing the certified pre-owned, it would be my recommendation to go test drive the new models first. That will give you a baseline of what the car is like and can help you narrow down the ones you are interested in without the pressure of possibly purchasing one. Models suggested here are all good choices. It comes down to personal preference.
PPlayboy87
AG
TTT

No one has a suggestion on a trustworthy mechanic/shop in the western part of the Metroplex for 3GA?
UnderoosAg
AG
3GA, have you talked to Tom Doniphon?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
PPlayboy87 said:

TTT

No one has a suggestion on a trustworthy mechanic/shop in the western part of the Metroplex for 3GA?
I'm going to be there on business in about 2 weeks.

Was going to pack some tools and see what I can do to help her. Have reached out via PM.
coolerguy12
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

PPlayboy87 said:

TTT

Was going to pack some tools and see what I can do to help her. Have reached out via PM.

Good bull. If she had been in Houston there would have been 3-4 people lined up to help her out.
PPlayboy87
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

PPlayboy87 said:

TTT

Good bull, sir! I salute and thank you!
OldArmy71
AG
That will be a real help to her. Thank you!
FC12
I'm in Frisco but you can use my garage if needed. Have jack stands and Ramps plus an assortment of tools. Let me know if I can help 1Ags.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.