Diesel brahs

6,401 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BlueSmoke
14TheRoad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This question is targeting the guys that bought a diesel based on a split between marginal need to tow and appeal of driving a diesel.

Any regrets? Has the hassle/extra expense been worth it to you?

I'm thinking about trading in my 2009 Silverado 1500 2wd for a 2018 RAM 2500 Cummins 4x4.

One of the main reasons I'm looking to move up in size (well besides bigger is cooler) is to tow my bay boat. That being said, my boat is only an 18 footer so not huge but my current half ton struggles to make any kind of quick stop while towing. I've already rear ended someone once when they got in front of me and then slammed on their brakes for a yellow light. The idea of having to stop quickly while towing gives me anxiety and severely limits where I take my boat...thus the thought of getting a 2500.

Which brings me to the next point. Once I thought I might be interested in a 3/4 ton I figured why not go all the way and get a diesel, that way I can pretty much tow whatever I want with ease. I keep my trucks for a while (9 years on current), who knows what I'll want to tow between now and 2027!

I understand there is added costs associated with diesels such as larger oil changes and fuel filters. I'm not too worried about those because I'll continue to do my own oil changes (will have to add fuel filters) and I'm used to the cost of expensive oil changes (7 quarts of Mobil 1 plus filter for wife's Volvo)

So, besides def with oil change what else is there that I'm missing regarding downsides of owning a diesel? Like I said I only marginally need it, thoughts from others that were in this position? Am I stupid?

Serious and non serious brah input wanted. Oh, anyone have a RAM hookup in Fort Worth?
Picard
AG
So....basically you're asking us to help you quantify how much money you would be wasting buying something you don't actually need?

Cloud
just upgrade to a new 3.5 boost f juan-fiddy and call it a day
14TheRoad
AG
Quote:

So....basically you're asking us to help you quantify how much money you would be wasting buying something you don't actually need?

Kinda...but with a twist. Asking if others have been satisfied or regretful about wasting the extra money buying a diesel they didn't really need.
dahouse
AG
I just bought a 2018 Duramax. I've driven diesels occasionally as company vehicles, but never owned one. I don't tow much at all. I have a 26' camper that we pull occasionally, and i'll drag a trailer to the ranch for firewood sometimes.

That being said, I love this thing. 455HP and 910 lb/ft torque. It just goes when you press the pedal. It pulls my camper like there's nothing there. I'm happy with my purchase, but, I get a healthy truck allowance from work that more than covers the payment and insurance, and I have a company fuel card.

My vehicle history is as follows (for reference)

1983 GMC 2500 Single Cab Lifted 350ci
2005 GMC Sierra 2500 Ext Cab 6.0
2015 GMC Sierra 2500 Crew Cab 6.0
2008 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab 6.0
2018 GMC Sierra 2500 Z71 6.6 Dirtymax

I drove a couple F-150s for company vehicles thrown in there as well, and a short stint with an F250 6.7 powerstroke until they needed it back on the ROW.
Cody
Fightin Texas Aggie c/o 04
MouthBQ98
AG
Whatever you do, keep your brah mods practical. I crack up laughing to myself every time I see a brodozer hauling a trailer with a hitch or gooseneck or 5th wheel setup that is WAY too high for what the trailer was designed for. Got to imagine all the crap inside has rolled or slid to the ass end of the trailer after a few miles...
jbennett13
AG
Picard said:

define "need" & "waste"

otherwise your statement is bull****

who needs a ford f150 platinum edition?

I currently drive a Ram 2500 MegaCab CTD. I will never own another Gas truck. Diesel trucks just chew up roads. I drove H-Town to Dallas on Sunday (21 mpg).

My best friend just traded in his Tundra for a GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. After 1 week, "I will never go back to gas".

Diesel > Gas
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Don't be afraid to admit you just want to pull the mirrors out....
AgEng06
AG
This thread is causing me all kinds of internal conflict.

I have wanted a diesel for no real reason for years, but convinced myself I was going to "settle" with the new Sierra AT4 later this year. Now OP is bringing my diesel desires back up...
jbennett13
AG
Hey OP,

If you want to come drive my RAM CTD, just let me know. I work in Frisco, live in McKinney.

I bought the truck at Greenville CJD and they were awesome!

email me @ rjakebennett @ gmail
BrazosDog02
AG
I love my diesel.

I especially love outing 16 qts of oil in it at oil change time.

Not sure it offsets the joy of hearing it run. The new ones don't make that sound so I think I could be talked out of it next time around.
will.mcg
AG
If you live in a county that requires emissions on state inspections go ahead & find a low miles 2012 Dodge. That was the last year before DEF on them. Even if you go brand new you'll love the heck out of it.

You can haul/tow (almost) a-n-y-t-h-i-n-g.
txyaloo
AG
If your primary concern is being able to stop quickly while towing, add electronic brakes to your trailer. Having a diesel isn't generally going to help you stop any faster.
tuaca93
AG
Today's Diesels are solid. Test drive a few. If you like it...buy it (whether you need it or not). IMHO, you won't regret it. Pay no attention to the haters. :-)
Presley OBannons Sword
I bought a huge 99 F250 diesel two years ago for no other reason than that I wanted it. I haven't towed a thing since I bought it. Don't care. Love my truck.
14TheRoad
AG
Thanks for all the replies and thanks to jbennet for the test drive offer but i think i'm going to go put my foot in a few at the local dealer sometime this weekend.

As for the stopping while towing, electric brakes are an option but truth be told i'm getting a little bored with my truck after nine years and 142k miles anyway, a new truck is definitely in the future sooner or later.

Sounds like most have been pretty happy with their purchases, haven't seen many regrets. I certainly feel the desire for a diesel is a bit irrational but on the other hand so what. If i can get past the idea of having a truck payment after not having one for five years, i may drive one home "need" and "waste" be damned.

My wife already said the stock tires and wheels aren't big enough though, ha! Were on brodozer watch here folks.
Post removed:
by user
SCHTICK00
AG
If you're really asking, get rid of the surge brakes on your boat trailer and convert to electric over hydraulic. Way cheaper. Having said that, I was considering switching from my ram ctd 4x4 to a half ton ecoboost to get a smoother ride. Then I bought a wake boat last year and am so glad I stayed with the diesel. We used our Yukon to tow the boat once and it was awful. Don't expect 23mpg though. I get 12 towing the boat 75 which is an improvement over the 10 I got before the emissions fell off.
dahouse
AG
I'm averaging 20.5 in my duramax. I mostly drive on th highway though. Mine cane with the integral brake controller too. That's a nice little feature
Cody
TX_AG_10
AG
Do it. Bought an 06 Duramax in '16 and don't regret it one bit.
TX_AG_10
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

jbennett13
AG
TX_AG_10 said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

Blue star.

This meme is troof!
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

Not sure it offsets the joy of hearing it run. The new ones don't make that sound so I think I could be talked out of it next time around.
You can turn off Pilot Injection via tuning...

AgEng06
AG
Mmmmm, that sounds awesome...
BigPuma
AG
I think I got around 13.5 pulling this sail. Normally average 15.5+ in my normal commute. That can drop if I eff up and leave at the wrong time.
mts6175
AG
AgEng06 said:

This thread is causing me all kinds of internal conflict.

I have wanted a diesel for no real reason for years, but convinced myself I was going to "settle" with the new Sierra AT4 later this year. Now OP is bringing my diesel desires back up...
So just wait until 2020 when they come out with the new AT4 2500HD and kill two birds with one stone........
AgEng06
AG
Ha, I wish. I can't wait that long. I'm getting a new truck one way or another this year.

Maybe I trade the gas AT4 for a diesel AT4 in 2020.
JB
AG
We need 450+ Hp to pull 16' boats now. Wow.

I went from diesel to gas for my DD. I have 7.3 for pulling heavier things Don't see how I would DD a diesel ever again. My 1/2 ton rides so much better and tows well enough for what it is.
MouthBQ98
AG
It is very nice to be able to tow just about anything you might reasonably want to, but I look back on many of the things I have towed and what I towed them with and can tell we are truly spoiled with overkill today. I'm surprised more accidents don't happen because people forget the trailer is back there.
BrazosDog02
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

BrazosDog02 said:

Yeah, that ain't happening on a new truck for me. LOL.

It took me 11 years to do my first mod on my 6.0....an upgraded factory brake controller. LOL.
dahouse
AG
I like driving 3/4 ton trucks because they last a long time, even if you work them. I don't work my trucks much at all, so i should get 8-10 years out of the truck.

That being said, I was really close to waiting until 2019s came out and ordering a 1/2 ton with the 6.2
Cody
BrazosDog02
AG
You should EASILY get 8-10 out a truck if its maintained. At least I think that is a reasonable expectation.
akaggie05
AG
No brodozers here, but last two vehicles have been a Jetta TDI (bought back) and X5 diesel.

FIDO*98*
AG
I bought a Diesel because I hated towing my Travel Trailer with a half ton. Sold the TT but kept the F-250 because towing my Bay boat was so much better with it. Bought a condo with a sling so I no longer have to tow the boat. Keeping the truck because......I love driving a Diesel brah
Carny89
BrazosDog02 said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

BrazosDog02 said:

Yeah, that ain't happening on a new truck for me. LOL.

It took me 11 years to do my first mod on my 6.0....an upgraded factory brake controller. LOL.

Your 6.0 lasted 11 years? Congrats.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.