New Car this August

2,803 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by agracer
agracer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Going to be looking for a newish auto at the end of the summer.

Wanted a sporty/luxury sedan. Will likely look for an executive/demo CPO vehicle and take advantage of the warranty and $10,000 savings over new for a 1-yr old car.

Ruled out so far;
Kia Stinger interior not to my liking
Infinity Q50 looks just not doing it for me

Test Drove
Acura TLX too boring, meh test drive
Mercedes C300 4-matic liked the interior and ride. Looks are ok
BMW 340iX loved the power, like the looks.
BMW 430iX Gran Coupe obviously short of the 340 power, but still plenty to get moving. Loved the looks inside and out (M-Sport package a must).

Only thing I haven't driven yet is a Lexus IS350 and Audi A4 (and likely the A5 SportBack). Plan to do that this weekend.

I've had several Honda's and other than change the oil, brakes and a few odds and ends here and their (belts, hoses, CV-boots) they've all be solid as a rock for between 100 and 200k miles. So the Acura would likely be the safest choice. Friend works at Lexus (in charge of shop) and swears by Toyota/Lexus reliability and support, with reason.

So far the 430 (or maybe a 440 if I find one for the right price) is in the lead.

I tend to drive my cars for a long time (currently own 18-yr old Odyssey, 9-yr old Accord and 16-year old Civic). Kid is buying Accord and headed back to school this fall so I'll be needing a daily. Odyssey is being sold in August as well.

But do I want a modern German luxury sedan 6-years from now when it's got 75,000 miles on it and no warranty? Or 'eff it, have some fun and by then kids will be all out of the house and OUT of college so I can get something new!
Aero95
AG
agracer said:

'eff it, have some fun and by then kids will be all out of the house and OUT of college so I can get something new!

This is your correct answer.

I still love my 14 year old no warranty 147k mile BMW.
JSKolache
AG
If you buy used German to keep for a long time, make sure your savings account is padded and ready.
agracer
AG
JSKolache said:

If you buy used German to keep for a long time, make sure your savings account is padded and ready.
Used as in < 1yr old Demo vehicle with CPO warranty and like 5,000 miles. CPO adds 1-year to 4/50 factory warranty and unlimited miles.

My work drive is <20-miles round trip since I moved 5-years ago. I put maybe 10,000 miles/year on the daily now. So I'd have 4+ years of full coverage.
Guitarsoup
AG
So you plan to have a Japanese car, German car, and Italian car?

Sorry about your WWII loss.
ILikeTacos
AG
Budget?
Cardiag
AG
Has to be 4 door? Would check out 2 series as well. Offers best power to $ and decent reliability.

Also slightly older E class (either 4 door or coupe) might be worth a look.
Mateo84
AG
Genesis G80 5.0
AggieDruggist89
AG
Don't you have a Ferrari?
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/v8jYXMc3/Xy66wFs.png[/img]
agracer
AG
Guitarsoup said:

So you plan to have a Japanese car, German car, and Italian car?

Sorry about your WWII loss.
Haven't owned an American car since 2000 and I don't see a compelling reason to switch right now.

Quote:

Has to be 4 door? Would check out 2 series as well. Offers best power to $ and decent reliability.

Also slightly older E class (either 4 door or coupe) might be worth a look.
Yes 4-door. Kids still ride in the car and they are way to big for a 2-door. Also want the extra room.

Quote:

Don't you have a Ferrari?
And???
KY AG
AG
Lexus GS or GS-F. This is the last gen of the GS before it gets put out to pasture. Maybe the most underrated car of all time.
TSJ
AG
Hellcat Charger. A Mercedes E-class with balls!
ILikeTacos
AG
agracer said:

And???

Wait you have a Ferrari, and an 18 year old Odyssey? Am I reading this **** right?
chimpanzee
ILikeTacos said:

agracer said:

And???

Wait you have a Ferrari, and an 18 year old Odyssey? Am I reading this **** right?
That's awesome.

Maybe check out the lightly used Cadillac ATS-V's?
Pepper Brooks
AG
Rule 1 on the ferrari
GTBullitt68
AG
What about a CTS-V wagon?
aTm papi
Drive the Audi.
agracer
AG
ILikeTacos said:

agracer said:

And???

Yes. Odyssey is going away this summer as well.

Pics as requested are here;

https://texags.com/forums/46/topics/2763659/1

Quote:

GTBullitt68What about a CTS-V wagon?
Sorry, just not big on GM products in general and while I've read a lot of good things about the CTS, just not a fan of the looks at all

Drove the A4 today. Liked it. The virtual dash is pretty sweet. Still leaning towards the 430/440 Gran Coupe at this point. Hope to drive a Lexus IS350 next week some time.
agracer
AG
Drove the IS350 F-Sport and an Infinity Q50 Red Sport 400. Infinity was nice and fast but just not there in the looks department.

Liked the IS350 and it's for sure the best and safest pick. When I told my oldest about the test drive he said "it sounds like you're trying to talk yourself into the Lexus but you really want the BMW".

Drove the 440iX as well. Love the power. The 430iX was plenty of power as well, but the 6cyl just seemed to move effortlessly up to speed.

Been keeping an eye out and I have to ask, are 90% of all BMW's made with a black interior! No thanks.

I'm going to focus on 4-series Gran Coupe, Estoril Blue, Leather in any color but black. Might be waiting awhile as they all seem to be black or grey and the few Estoril blue's I've seen have black "sense-tac' (German for vinyl).

I somehow came across the new 2019 Acura RDX online and decided to check it out and drove it. Gotta say, I was very impressed with the power and how nice it was for under $50k. No deals on those right now though and I don't imagine there will be for a while. But if I was looking for a crossover that would be at the top of the list.
Flaith
AG
A5 Sportback?

I think the Genesis G70 is coming at the end of the summer as a 2019 model. Much nicer interior than it's Stinger cousin.
Complete Idiot
I'm not a fan of GM products but still own a Chevy SS.

How many miles does an 18 year old Odyssey have on it?
agracer
AG
Complete Idiot said:

I'm not a fan of GM products but still own a Chevy SS.

How many miles does an 18 year old Odyssey have on it?

200k. Just did the timing belt, tires, battery about a year ago.
Cardiag
AG
Give A5 sport back a chance.
agracer
AG
Saw Estoril Blue in person (finally)....not quite as good in person as in the photos.

Mineral Grey Metalic however looks good.

Found this one online. CPO and looks like it loaded with just about every option you could select.

2015 435i x-drive

EDIT:
Shoot, was wondering why it was priced ~$4k less than NADA says it should be. Damage to front end in 2017. Oh well....
91AggieLawyer
AG
What do you want for your Odyssey?
752bro4
AG
His pride back
agracer
AG
752bro4 said:

His pride back
not even close. It's been a great vehicle and we've had almost no issues with it. made at least twenty 10+ hour road trips.

Leaks oil though.

Quote:

What do you want for your Odyssey?
Not really sure. A friend has asked about it. If he does not take it, I'll post it here. Depending on when I find my new car it might be the fall before it's for sale.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.