F250 6.4 diesel sluggish on hard acceleration

11,302 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by nonameag99
DeWrecking Crew
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I don't really believe in coincidences so I think I know the cause, but thought it wouldn't hurt posting here just in case.

Back story: I self installed a leveling kit and shocks this past weekend on my 2009 Ford SD.

I decide today, since I put a leveling kit on, to go and get an alignment done. And since I'm already there and it was near time for an oil change I had them change the oil along with the fuel filters. Truck was running great this morning, and probably didn't even need the alignment.

I leave the service place and head back to work and immediately notice that I lose power when I really get into the accelerator. I can idle, and roll into the accelerator just fine. It's only on a hard acceleration that I experience the power loss. It doesn't die, but it kind of sputters and just wont accelerate, almost like it has hit a rev limiter. Seems to happen around 2500 rpm, and happens whether I'm accelerating from a stop or if I'm going 60 mph and put the pedal to the metal. Once it starts sputtering it won't stop until I let my foot off of the accelerator, you can't power through it. After I let my foot off the accelerator it kicks back in and I can resume accelerating.

Logic tells me something happened when they changed the fuel filters but I can't figure out what they could have possibly done? If they got air in the system wouldn't it die and/or be hard to start? I checked the filter part number that was on the invoice and it looks like the correct part number. Can they be put in backwards?
EskimoJoe
it sounds like they didn't get all the air out of the system when they changed the fuel filters.
Frisco
AG
turbo going south or air leak somewhere is my guess
DeWrecking Crew
Air leak in the fuel system or Turbo? I don't really believe in coincidences, I'm inclined to think it has something to do with the oil change or fuel filter change? A failing turbo happening immediately after routine maintenance is a little suspect, although the turbo does use the engine oil to cool it. I wonder if they put the wrong weight oil in
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Who did the work?
BrazosDog02
AG
Did you check your dipstick? I am unsure, but are those injectors heavily dependent on oil pressure like the 6.0?

Did they use OEM Filters for everything?

Motorcraft only....every...time....make them show you the box.
DeWrecking Crew
Well, at this point, I'm not ready to put them on blast just yet...but it was one of the bigger oil change franchises in the US...

This morning on my way to taking it back to them the engine light came on, they read the codes and said nothing had to do with anything fuel related or anything they would have touched, mentioned that it had an HVAC code was the only thing they could see. They cleared the codes and they took it for a test drive and of course it didn't show the problem while they were driving it. I get in and get two miles down the road and the problem starts again and the check engine light comes on again. I turned around and took it to them to read the codes again and they said it was the same codes with the addition of a P1000 code which they explained was because they had reset the codes. He hoped in with me to take some live data and as luck would have it again the problem didn't show up, so I drop him off and again 5 miles down the road it starts happening again. I'm beginning to think it only happens when the engine is warm. Since it is popping an HVAC code, I wonder if they broke a vacuum line somewhere?
BrazosDog02
AG
Do they do HVAC repair, charging, and diagnoses? What about engine diagnoses?

Maybe I missed them, but what are the exact codes being throw?
DeWrecking Crew
I did check the dipstick, it was full, although it was already a little blacker than I would have thought it would be...

I have no clue if they used OEM filters, I would doubt that they did, you think that it makes that much difference?
DeWrecking Crew
The codes thrown (and I don't know how many were new versus old) were U0155, U0159, U0249, B1201, B2872, B1255, B1206, P1000, B1031.

I would not say they are qualified to do engine diagnosis, although they claim to be able to. They offer brakes, alignments, HVAC, Suspensions, tires, transmission service, coolant services, they asked if I wanted them to change the serpentine belts, so I would say they are a low to mid level expertise, it is definitely not a place anyone would think about taking their vehicle if they are having mechanical problems.
BrazosDog02
AG
I asked so maybe others could help with the codes. As 1ags alluded to, many of those are electrical/power related. Did you check the PCM and make sure its all tight? No symptoms and then symptoms scream faulty connection to me.

I also do not believe in coincidences with my vehicles and the cynical ******* in me assumes mechanics are crooks unless proven otherwise. I always envision creating problems..."oh..wierd...looks like an AC problem, for 100 bucks we'll check it out." **goes back in shop, plugs in sensor** "LOOK ITS FIXED!"

On my 6.0, aftermarket filters and parts can create all sorts of issues like not properly separating water from fuel, bypass oil systems with incorrect filter caps, etc. I am always a proponent of OEM filters under any and all circumstances unless I have a damn good reason and a LARGE pool of proof showing otherwise.

The only exception is diesel motor oil because I cannot always find Motorcraft for the same cost as Rotella or Delo...which are the only suitable alternatives in my opinion.

I think I would crawl underneath and check all areas near the oil filter, drain plug, fuel filter etc and look for anything they may have accidentally snagged and unplugged or broken.
Goose
AG
How many miles on the truck?
DeWrecking Crew
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Wonder if they drained the water separator or damaged it when they changed the filters.
Silvy
AG
Time to LS swoop
EskimoJoe
silverado_lover said:

Time to LS LBZ swoop
FIFY
nonameag99
nonameag99
O ring on the lower filter sucking air
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.