Adaptive Cruise Control/Stop and Go

2,355 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by tailgatetimer10
drumbeat10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hi All.

It seems more and more manufacturers are releasing their versions of adaptive cruise control that also can function in stop and go traffic. I've read a lot about Nissan's Pro-Pilot assist and ford's stop and go cruise control and both seem like they would be fairly useful in highway commuting. Does anyone have first hand experience with either of these or similar systems and can give some feedback about how useful they are for both highway commuting and also for road trips around Texas and Louisiana? Would love to know if any other affordable manufacturers are also doing similar systems. Unfortunately Tesla and Cadillac are out of my price range!
clarythedrill
One of my rentals had the adaptive cruise function, I think it was a Toyota Corolla. I will say that overall I did like it, but I also found out that if you were going to pass a vehicle in front of you, you had to move into the passing lane pretty early, since the sensor would continue to track the vehicle and you would have to manually apply the throttle to pass.

One feature that I DO NOT like is the lane departure override. There were times I tried to change lanes and the sensor would sense the center line and not let me move over. It is a really funny feeling when you turn the steering wheel and keep it turned and the car is like "NOPE" and keeps you in your current lane.

I only had the rental for a day so I never bothered to figure out how to turn these features off.
Kuz89
AG
We have an older version of ACC without stop-start in the wife's 2011 Jeep GC. I like it a lot more than I thought I would and use it frequently on the highway. The one drawback is on multi-lane roads in moderate to heavy traffic I have to turn it off. The ACC leaves too much space between you and the car in front of you and it just invites lane changers to occupy that space. This causes the ACC to slow down to create more space which invites more cars to get in front of you, etc, etc.

Even with newer versions I can't see overcoming this issue. The ACC is always going to leave enough room and invite drivers from other lanes. Until ALL cars obey the same laws this is going to cause issues with autonomous driving.
hurricanejake02
AG
I wish that the dealers would turn off the adaptive cruise for every grandmother in a new Infiniti on I-10 between Houston and San Antonio.

None of them seem to understand it, or why every car in the right lane can zoom up behind an 18 wheeler and move over in front of her, and the car just keeps letting them do it. Meanwhile, we're stacked up 3 miles deep behind her....
tailgatetimer10
AG
Pretty sure you can steer through the lane keep assist
drumboy
AG
Kuz89 said:

The ACC leaves too much space between you and the car in front of you and it just invites lane changers to occupy that space. This causes the ACC to slow down to create more space which invites more cars to get in front of you, etc, etc.
I was wondering if there was a "Houston Mode" that would keep your car 3' or less from the car in front you so that nobody can merge in.
EMY92
AG
Most of the adaptive cruise controls allow you to set the distance with the vehicle in front of you.

clary, for the lane assist, if you signal your lane change, it won't fight you.
clarythedrill
tailgatetimer10 said:

Pretty sure you can steer through the lane keep assist
Yes, you can, but on that particular model you had to turn the steering wheel way in the direction you wanted to go, and then when it did respond it jerked pretty hard into the other lane. A couple of times it was borderline unsafe, as gentle lane changes was not an option.
clarythedrill
EMY92 said:

Most of the adaptive cruise controls allow you to set the distance with the vehicle in front of you.

Ah, I did not know that. Good to know, thank you. When there is no one behind me I generally do not signal.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
A handful of the Fusion guys figured out how to retrofit ACC with Stop and Go into their fusions, the cost was about 800 bucks with all Ford parts but some guys cobbled theirs with ebay parts for half of that.
Kenneth_2003
AG
clarythedrill said:

One of my rentals had the adaptive cruise function, I think it was a Toyota Corolla. I will say that overall I did like it, but I also found out that if you were going to pass a vehicle in front of you, you had to move into the passing lane pretty early, since the sensor would continue to track the vehicle and you would have to manually apply the throttle to pass.

One feature that I DO NOT like is the lane departure override. There were times I tried to change lanes and the sensor would sense the center line and not let me move over. It is a really funny feeling when you turn the steering wheel and keep it turned and the car is like "NOPE" and keeps you in your current lane.

I only had the rental for a day so I never bothered to figure out how to turn these features off.

Drove a rental Corolla from Houston to Laredo a coupe weeks ago. That whole tech is a steaming pile of F NO! Set the cruise outside Sealy and was quickly the slowest car on the road. Tried it again south of San Antonio and it slammed on the brakes for a car on the exit ramp. Even when i dialed the range all the way in it activated way way too far out. Thankfully i got lane departure turned off early on that trip. Hated everything about that car and will hopefully never drive another.

Kuz89
AG
EMY92 said:

The GC has three pre-programmed distance settings and I'm always on the shortest. At 45 and above it's going to be at least 2-3 car lengths and the faster you go the greater that minimal distance gets even without changing the setting. If the newer or diff manufacturer controls allow you to memorize a set distance that's closer than the pre-programmed setting that's an improvement.

I guess the best option is to test drive and see if you can tailgate at 75 with the ACC.
cmiller00
AG
Have a 2014 Cadillac with the adaptive cruise. Pretty much what is said above. I like it on the highway but wouldn't use it in the city or even moderate traffic. Even with the distance set to the shortest one it leaves so much space between you and the next car it wouldn't work in city traffic.
gigem70
AG
One of my rentals had this and I turned it off as soon as I could. I may be old but I'm still capable of slowing down as needed, I think.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Love the ACC on my F150. As others have stated, the follow distance can be a little long, though I do think it's safer to not follow too closely. However, if you're attentive and anticipate the situation ahead of time, just a little throttle overrides the follow distance and allows you to maneuver around the cars in front of you. Let off the throttle and the ACC system picks up where you left off.
BEaggie08
AG
I have a 2018 Accord with Honda Sensing. I love the ACC and use it all the time. The ACC will come to a complete stop behind the car in front of you (when it stops). Then you just touch resume on the cruise or tap the gas when it's time to go. I have 4 follow distances and generally use the closest. I primarily use it in rush hour traffic in the morning and afternoon and it has really taken most of the stress out of the drive. It does low speed follow really well.

I also have Lane Keep Assist System. The LKAS will basically keep you in the lane, curves and all, over 45 mph.

Like anything not level 5, you still have to pay attention and after using it for a bit you better understand the limitations and when it is best to intervene, not just for safety but also for expediency.
reproag
AG
clarythedrill said:

That doesn't sound like Toyota's. The lane deviation is a very slight shift in the direction you came from. It will beep at you a lot and tell you you might be tired maybe you should pullover for a nap but it will not prevent you from crossing the line or keep you in your current lane.

You can turn it off with the push of a button too. Look for the 3rd image from left on your steering wheel or dash.

reproag
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

clarythedrill said:

Drove a rental Corolla from Houston to Laredo a coupe weeks ago. That whole tech is a steaming pile of F NO! Set the cruise outside Sealy and was quickly the slowest car on the road. Tried it again south of San Antonio and it slammed on the brakes for a car on the exit ramp. Even when i dialed the range all the way in it activated way way too far out. Thankfully i got lane departure turned off early on that trip. Hated everything about that car and will hopefully never drive another.

PSA

To turn off the Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC) push and HOLD the on/off button until you see the green speedometer without the car above it (see pic 3)

Left is regular CC. Right is DRCC

MouthBQ98
AG
They're going to need to standardize the basic controls and symbols pretty quick or people will become infuriated with rental cars.

It's going to be fun in the next few years screwing with people's adaptive cruise settings by making subtle changes in driving around them. If a certain make or model is known to react predictably to certain conditions, then it's a simple matter of creating those conditions for that driver to initiate its predictable reaction.
MouthBQ98
AG
Speaking of which I hope the signaling for ACC is encrypted because of the vehicle reacts to electromagnetic or optical inputs like radar or lasers to determine range and bearing and speed, it would be relatively easy to send false inputs to the vehicle sensors and manipulate the reaction of someone else's vehicle.

If the signalling is encrypted, then it would be extremely difficult.
tailgatetimer10
AG
I was under the impression many of the newer variants used cameras rather than just radar
reproag
AG
tailgatetimer10 said:

I was under the impression many of the newer variants used cameras rather than just radar
Cameras for land departure and radar for ACC
tailgatetimer10
AG
Just read on Toyota's website that they use both, unless I'm missing something.
clarythedrill
reproag said:

Kenneth_2003 said:

clarythedrill said:

PSA

To turn off the Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC) push and HOLD the on/off button until you see the green speedometer without the car above it (see pic 3)

Ya all that information is cool, and these cars may have the ability to turn these features off or alter, but I am not going to take a couple of hours to read the owners manual for a rental that I will only have for a few hours. Some standardization would be helpful, as someone mentioned above.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Yeah, that would have been great to know. But like above, when work says get a rental and go to XYZ, you don't sit in the parking lot for an hour reading the manual.
Pro Ag
AG
I have a Subaru with ACC and I love it. As said above, there are some times I need to take it off in traffic even with the shortest follow distance selected. If it's really heavy, stop and go traffic I feel like it works there. The shortest follow distance only really gets me cut off when traffic is going about 30-40 and you get the jokers that like to switch lanes even though everyone is going the same speed.
reproag
AG
clarythedrill said:

reproag said:

Kenneth_2003 said:

clarythedrill said:

PSA

Ya all that information is cool, and these cars may have the ability to turn these features off or alter, but I am not going to take a couple of hours to read the owners manual for a rental that I will only have for a few hours. Some standardization would be helpful, as someone mentioned above.
I understand. That's why I posted these so that if you rent a Toyota and want to turn off the ACC or LDA you can.
reproag
AG
tailgatetimer10 said:

Just read on Toyota's website that they use both, unless I'm missing something.
Camera is used for Toyota Safety Sense with predestination detection (TSS-P) to detect the silhouette. Some models don't have the predestination detection feature (TSS-C) and would only use the camera for LDA. At least that's what I was told. Sorry if I confused everyone.
tailgatetimer10
AG
Did some additional reading, it really varies by brand but you're correct on the Toyota system. It appears the cameras help distinguish between objects in the Toyota system.

Meanwhile GM and Subaru utilize camera and radar to do acc.

Cool times in the tech sector of automobiles
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.