Tundra

3,635 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Whitetail
Drip99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking on making the move to a Tundra from f150. I know that the tundra does not have the bells and whistles that the ford has but it has a reputation for reliability and will keep me on the road and out of the service center where I spend my time now. Has anyone moved from late model (2015 +) f150 to a tundra and if so what is your experience? Additional questions below:

• Gas mileage Do you avg. around ~15 with city/highway combo? My ford computer says I get about 18 but when you put the pencil to its more like 16-16.5. Is the computer accurate on the tundra?
  • What is the TSS off road? Just Wheels, tires and floormats? Any difference in performance or just appearance package?
  • What is realistic purchase price for new/gently used? If new has msrp or 45k are you getting 10k+ off like ford or is it less?
  • Any experiences towing a travel trailer with tundra? I will tow a 30 foot a few times a year mostly around texas. I get 7-8 mpg in the f150 3.5 boosthow does the tundra compare and how well does it tow?
  • How is the nav? Does it have traffic and live weather radar screen? Is the Bluetooth receptive and can you voice text in it?
  • It has a solid reputation for reliability. Has anyone had issues/major issues?

Thanks!
sts7049
AG
i think this is probably the 5th thread on this in the last month
Ag for Life
AG
Paging reproag!!!
Garrelli 5000
AG
I didn't come from an F150, but I can answer a few of your questions.

I average 13.5 MPG in a 2016 TRD-Prod. I always have the tow/haul button mashed for the added torque.

The nav works fine, has accurate traffic status and a weather channel app. If you have an iPhone it has some type of Siri integration that I think allows you to do voice text. Otherwise it's choosing from a list of 15 responses (programmable).

I used aggiepaintrain's connection in DFW. It was the only dealer that would budge from MSRP on the TRD-Prod trim and was a great experience.

If you are closer to C/S, reproag has earned a great reputation on this board for hooking people up in Toyotas.
idAg09
Purchased new 18 Tundra SR5 with TSS package and 5.7 with black wheels, A/T tires, and fender flares.

- gas mileage about 13 city and 16 Hwy. I got 15 city and 18 highway on my 2012 3.5 ecoboost. What computer says, no hand calculations

- to me, TSS package is just overpriced wheels, tires, and mats but not sure of the details. You can finance it all though...

- I paid (probably too much) 43k on an almost 47k msrp but went for the 0% financing. They don't seem to come off the msrp like the other guys

- don't tow but come on it can tow a space shuttle. Gas mileage sucks so I imagine it's terrible when towing

- I have nav but does anyone use it when we all have phones? I've never used car nav and probably won't on this truck. Bluetooth works for music and calls but I don't use any of the other fancy stuff. Sound system sucks but I'm getting used to it. Looking at taco tunes for an upgrade.

- I've had a Toyota safety sense sensor give our error codes shortly after I got it but it's been fine since the warranty sensor replacement. I don't think I like the safety sense (something else to break down the line) but others might

Love the truck. Interior lacking compared to the big 3 but sounds like you already know that. I'm hoping it is incredibly reliable since I want to keep it long term.

Of course i read up in the 'Cam leak' issue after I bought the truck, but that's the only thing that worries me. Good luck!
saltydog13
AG
I had an f150 with the 5.0. City mpg about the same. Big difference is highway I could get 20+ vs my tundra now I'm lucky to get 16-17.

The TSS package is a total waste in my opinion. $4,000+ for some black wheels/badges and P rated BFG tires.

I think $6k off MSRP is around the norm for tundras. None of the $10k+ off like fords.
Drip99
AG
saltydog13 said:

I had an f150 with the 5.0. City mpg about the same. Big difference is highway I could get 20+ vs my tundra now I'm lucky to get 16-17.

The TSS package is a total waste in my opinion. $4,000+ for some black wheels/badges and P rated BFG tires.

I think $6k off MSRP is around the norm for tundras. None of the $10k+ off like fords.
Wow I didn't know they were not E rated. That's poor.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
JesusQuintana said:

saltydog13 said:

E rated is for 3/4 ton and up trucks.

Even if you had E Rated tires, wheels may not be rated for E rated loads.

TSS is a GST add on package, and its usually a lift, wheels and decals.

Drip99
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

JesusQuintana said:

saltydog13 said:

Does it come with K02s?
wreckt01
just bought a TSS a few weeks ago. It has 285 KO2s
reproag
AG
PM Sent.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Repro doin' work.
saltydog13
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

JesusQuintana said:

saltydog13 said:

And to add to this. The lift is most likely just spacers up front and blocks in the rear
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
saltydog13 said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

JesusQuintana said:

saltydog13 said:

And to add to this. The lift is most likely just spacers up front and blocks in the rear
https://www.tundras.com/threads/2018-tss-lift-level-issues.21375/
bam02
AG
Either I'm very confused or they are talking about the Toyota Safety Sense and not the Gulf States Toyota TSS appearance package.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
bam02 said:

Either I'm very confused or they are talking about the Toyota Safety Sense and not the Gulf States Toyota TSS appearance package.
The lifts apparently are making the Safety Sense malfunction/not work right.
idAg09
I think this is a Toyota Safety Sense issue and not related to lifting the truck. I read a bunch of forums when I had a pretty collision and trailer brake malfunction error at 300 miles in. Truck didn't perform any differently, just flashed the error every once in a while until I got around to taking it in at about 450 miles.

I believe they replaced the Airbag ECU on mine and it has been fine since (4k miles). My truck is not leveled or lifted. I think it depends on the truck (someone mentions this as well in the linked forum). Many people have had the safety sense malfunction error on lifted and non-lifted trucks.

I just received a recall a couple of weeks ago about a software updage needed for a safety sense issue. Toyota having first year issues for something new they tried on the Tundra. No wonder they don't like to change things
Drip99
AG
Does the tss lift or package have any negative effects on towing? Would like the truck to perform how it's built to and lifts and suspension stuff seems to mess some of that up?
easttexasaggie04
AG
I just got a TSS package and my sensors are working. So far I'm VERY happy with my Tundra. It's much more peppy than my F-150 was.
OXDL45
AG
Tundra TRD Pro!
idAg09
I don't think the TSS package means you have a lift. Sure there are some with lifts, but I think the TSS is just wheels & tires, mats, black badging, and 38 gallon tank
easttexasaggie04
AG
My TSS package isn't lifted. It has rims and tires, bedliner, and mats.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
idAg09 said:

I think this is a Toyota Safety Sense issue and not related to lifting the truck. I read a bunch of forums when I had a pretty collision and trailer brake malfunction error at 300 miles in. Truck didn't perform any differently, just flashed the error every once in a while until I got around to taking it in at about 450 miles.

I believe they replaced the Airbag ECU on mine and it has been fine since (4k miles). My truck is not leveled or lifted. I think it depends on the truck (someone mentions this as well in the linked forum). Many people have had the safety sense malfunction error on lifted and non-lifted trucks.

I just received a recall a couple of weeks ago about a software updage needed for a safety sense issue. Toyota having first year issues for something new they tried on the Tundra. No wonder they don't like to change things
My buddy who works at GST tells me that they got a memo from Toyota to stop installing lifts and modding suspensions (probably to curb their legal risk). Until further notice.
reproag
AG
idAg09 said:

I don't think the TSS package means you have a lift. Sure there are some with lifts, but I think the TSS is just wheels & tires, mats, black badging, and 38 gallon tank
PSA

There are TWO different TSS acronyms for a Toyota.

1. Truck Sports Series includes rims, 20" tires, badging (in more then just black), mats, running boards and the TSS Sticker on Tundras and now Tacomas. 38 gal tanks is in the SR5 upgrade package.

2. Toyota Safety Sense is the safety features and is standard on all 2018 Toyotas except 4Runner. It includes land departure, and a precollision system. Depending on the model the precollision system may have pedestrian detection (TSS-P) or not (TSS-C) and auto high beams.
Owlagdad
Anyone tow much with the 4.6? I have 5000 lb trailer and 4.6 sure is cheaper- some blogs say okay some say stick with 5.7 .
JP76
Travel trailer ?

Owlagdad
Yes. 26 ft Jayco- 4900 lbs unloaded- never put water in and probably not over 500 lbs of stuff- we travel light
reproag
AG
Owlagdad said:

Yes. 26 ft Jayco- 4900 lbs unloaded- never put water in and probably not over 500 lbs of stuff- we travel light
SR5 4x4 4.6L double cab rated for 6,500 and the CrewMax is rated for 6,400.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I know this is obvious but I would go test drive the Tundra and see what you think. I think when you drive all the trucks the answer will be clear. Picking out a truck is so subjective. We can tell you what we like but that doesn't really matter. I do know when I drove the Tundra after having an F-150 for 7 years it was a no brainer that I liked the Tundra better. I even had quote from a dealer Ford XLT 4x4 with Ecoboost at roughly the same price as my Tundra but I just didn't want to get back into another F-150.
Drip99
AG
Ended up getting a gently used (1700 miles) tss. Thanks for the input

saltydog13
AG
Good color
Garrelli 5000
drumboy
AG
Dios mio, man.
easttexasaggie04
AG
That's the exact truck I have! I hope you love it as much as I do.
OXDL45
AG
Nice!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.