DIY scratch repair kit

1,157 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by big ben
drewbie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My truck got keyed several months ago, and I'm just now looking to fix it (no, the check engine light was not on too...). I'm considering a DIY approach to save some money. It's one long scratch that spans several feet. It is a deep scratch in many areas. Anyone have a good product/method to use? Google has led me to scratchwizard, dr color chip, color n drive, and a few other DIY touch up kits. Reviews are generally good, but there are not many. Anyone ever used any of these? Any pros/cons? Is this something that I should just leave to a professional? TIA
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Pics?
johnrth
I've used this https://www.drcolorchip.com/ on minor door dings from my daughter opening my wifes car door into my black truck. Pricey but I've had good results. There are a lot of videos on youtube of people using dr color chip.
drewbie
AG

Here is a poor picture inside a garage. I can take a better picture later today. Not sure if you can see, but it goes from about the driver's side mirror almost to the rear tire. If I run my nail in it, I can feel the paint in some areas, but in other's it's still smooth.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Looking at it from afar, I wouldnt be surprised if a good detailing place (aka NOT Mr Car wash, a professional) couldn't wet sand and buff that out to minimize the damage on that.

DIY touch up is for little spots. I think you'd be disappointed with a long repair like that with a touch up system of any kind.
drewbie
AG
That makes a lot of sense. 1ags, I know you're in Houston, but any good recs for the SA area? Anyone else have a good detailer in the SA area?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
drewbie said:

That makes a lot of sense. 1ags, I know you're in Houston, but any good recs for the SA area? Anyone else have a good detailer in the SA area?
I dont know anyone there.

One of Houston's best guys I think is Active Auto Detail. Robertcope uses that guy and hes amazing. I may take the E55 there one day.

The other place is in NW Houston/Cypress and I cant remember the name of it.
big ben
AG
I'd get dealer touch up paint, a few tooth picks, and then "draw the paint" into the crevice. Let cure, then wet sand with 2000 grit and buff back out if you have the equipment. Worked on my brothers black Jeep when some ahole keyed his car in Reed lot
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.