AC Problem 2008 F150

1,754 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Mule_lx
Mule_lx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
2008 F150 XLT 5.4L

For awhile when I'd switch from heat to AC (red/blue dial knob), it would stay on heat. I'd turn the AC on and off a few times, and it'd kick over to AC. Last week, I had it about half blue and turned the truck off. When I get back in it's afternoon, and I turn it full cold. It seems to be stuck at half blue or above. I turned it full red today and no temp change.

Any advice or tips?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Blend door actuator.

How handy are you?
Corps_Ag12
AG
Follow up question:

How patient are you?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
I have permanent scarring from changing about 7 or 8 of them for Texagers
Mule_lx
AG
I'm handy but I have twin boys under two so time is lacking.

When I turn it up from full cold it always sounded like a little motor was running. Does that help? Sounds like something is opening closing.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Yup.

Where are you? I can do the repair for much less than any shop/dealer.
Mule_lx
AG
Round Rock
Mule_lx
AG
If I took it to a shop, about how much am I looking at?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Mule_lx said:

If I took it to a shop, about how much am I looking at?
IIRC the last one I did was for a guy on Texags showed me the estimate from Joe Myers, who quoted 1500 in labor plus parts.

I did it for a fraction of the cost.
Mule_lx
AG
I found a youtube of a 2006. I'm assuming it would be about the same on a 2008? It really doesn't look too difficult.
Ribeye-Rare
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

4lanes,

Brother, if I were closer to you I'd let you do it.

As it is, I'm about to change another one in a Grand Marquis (my family has several) and I'm damn sure not looking forward to it.

Other than going through the glove box/air bag area, have you got any pro tips you can pass along?

I've thought about making a couple special 5/16"/8mm sockets/wrenches to help me out, but I always think -- well, this will be my last one, and so I don't.

If you'd rather not share any secrets, I understand. It's a business to you and bills have to be paid.

Thanks, BTW, for all your contributions to forum 46.
Mule_lx
AG
1ags,

Where are you located?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Ribeye-Rare said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

4lanes,

Brother, if I were closer to you I'd let you do it.

As it is, I'm about to change another one in a Grand Marquis (my family has several) and I'm damn sure not looking forward to it.

Other than going through the glove box/air bag area, have you got any pro tips you can pass along?

I've thought about making a couple special 5/16"/8mm sockets/wrenches to help me out, but I always think -- well, this will be my last one, and so I don't.

If you'd rather not share any secrets, I understand. It's a business to you and bills have to be paid.

Thanks, BTW, for all your contributions to forum 46.
Thats exactly what you do, it takes time and patience and lots of knowing which angles to get at crap.

No big secret to doing it. Just gotta have the patience to take it apart and not get agitated over it. Thats when you start to bleed....
Ribeye-Rare
AG
1a said:

Thats exactly what you do, it takes time and patience and lots of knowing which angles to get at crap.

No big secret to doing it. Just gotta have the patience to take it apart and not get agitated over it. Thats when you start to bleed....

Well, I went ahead and pulled the trigger and did the BDA today. Yuk!

After my last experience with the Ford blend door, I went and bought a couple more trick wrenches thinking that I could lessen the time and frustration in doing this job. Work smarter and all. Right.

Neither one of them helped a bit. Man, space is tight in there. Thank goodness for the 8mm gear wrench or I'd still be in that dash.

I tried again (in vain) to just break the back lug off by moving the BDA back and forth until it cracked, but no dice. Those Youtube boys all say that it's easy. BS. There just doesn't seem to be enough space in a Grand Marquis to rock the plastic enough to fatigue it.

I used a hacksaw blade to saw the plastic around both sides of that back screw and that did the trick.

Fellas, if you're anywhere around Houston, let 1agswitchin4lanes do your Ford blend door replacements for you. Life's too short.

Trouble is, my mother now tells me her Grand Marquis' A/C is making that 'clicking' noise. Damn!
Mule_lx
AG
I took it to Jerry's Garage in Round Rock after reading stellar reviews on yelp. They did a great job. Dropped it off this morning. Picked it up this afternoon. My total bill was $225. Well worth it from what y'all were saying.
BrazosDog02
AG
Mule_lx said:

I took it to Jerry's Garage in Round Rock after reading stellar reviews on yelp. They did a great job. Dropped it off this morning. Picked it up this afternoon. My total bill was $225. Well worth it from what y'all were saying.
Holy Crap.

As a guy that does all of his own repairs, there ain't a whole damn lot I would do for $225.

That's "f--- this, you do it." territory. Sounds like a steal!
Ribeye-Rare
AG
Mule_lx said:

You did well. Heck, the part itself is half-a-hundred.

I'm still trying to find a wondertool to help with this job. I'm eyeing this Cornwell DoubleFlex head wratcheting 8mm wrench for my mom's:

'Trick' Ratcheting Wrench

If it fails, I'm out $27.50 and I'll throw it with the others in the stack of good ideas that didn't pan out.
Mule_lx
AG
I forgot to thank everyone for their help.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.