Pacifica vs. Odyssey

1,664 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by longeryak
kjcAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
About to join the minivan brigade, and am having trouble deciding. They are both highly rated, but the Stow N Go second row seats on the Pacifica seem like they would come in handy. On the other hand, is the Honda going to be much more reliable in the long term?
barney94
AG
If you want to keep it a long time get the Honda. Don't overthink it.

(Yeah Egon, I know you like your Pacifica a lot, but I stand by the statement.)
inch05
AG
we bought a 2017 pacifica last year and we've been pretty happy with it. chose pacifica because of the bang for your buck...honda really wouldn't come down much on price. both are very good.
Picard
AG
Our 2012 Odyssey has been a flaming hot pile of garbage. I can't wait to get rid of that thing.

Doug Collins
AG
Test drove all of them and liked the Kia Sedona best. Biggest fault with the Odyssey is the rear ac is a POS. The rear vents are no longer on the roof and the rear blower is extremely weak. With kids still in car seats, I don't think the system is adequate to keep them cool in the summer. It was a deal breaker for me.

The interior materials and features of the Sedona we're on par or better than the Odyssey for a significantly cheaper price. Only area it comes up short is fuel economy.

The Pacifica has already had a couple major recalls and made the no list due to them.
wxguy95
AG
Sienna has AWD option, and is probably the reliability you are searching for.
Doug Collins
AG
2018 Odyssey is using a 1st Gen 10spd transmission or the universally loathed 9spd zf on lower trims. There have also been a lot of QC issues if you read the owners forums. Reliability is not a given on the new redesign especially on the transmissions.

I'd stick to the sienna and Sedona if reliability is the main issue. Both are on proven platforms even if they're older designs. That being said, the sienna interior tech leaves a lot to be desired compared to the others.
Dr. Venkman
AG
Pacifica stow n go seats are convenient, but uncomfortable.

Reservation on Odyssey is transmission and VCM.

Sienna was good, but they came out with a new transmission in 2017 and having problems.
kjcAg
AG
Any incentive to wait until Memorial Day sales, or does it not really matter?
Macarthur
My 2016 Odyssey has been great. I had a 2010 too that was great. I"m a Honda person (have owned 5), but I also think the Sienna and Sedonna are good too.

I personally prefer the Odyssey for styling and they actually drive surprisingly well (sporty - for a MV).
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
The Sedona is a lot of bang for the buck.

I've driven and ridden in the new pacifica. I'm impressed with them but the long term reliability still concerns me.

Time will tell.
A&M Chopper
AG
I went Pacifica two years ago because it was the big leap in tech at that time. I assume the others are comparable now. We are 20K miles in our limited and it's been great. Perfect for us (2 car seats and grandparents that visit often from out of town).
fightingfarmer09
Whichever can tow a boat.
swood
AG
We traded a Town & Country for a 2018 Pacifica Hybrid about 2 months ago and we're delighted with it. The hybrid is about $1000 more than a similar gas model, but is eligible for a $7500 federal tax credit.

We put about 25K miles a year on our minivan, with most in relatively short trips around town. The Pacifica hybrid has a 33 mile electric range on a fully charged battery and then operates as a gas/electric hybrid. We're getting about 31 mpg in hybrid mode. It charges fully on a 110v outlet in about 14 hours, so we were basically getting one electric charge per day when we first got it. Then we installed an L2 charger (240V 32A) in our garage that charges it from empty in 2 hours. Now about 85% of our miles are electric.

There were some serious problems with the 2017 hybrids that led to a buy-back program that replaced many of them with 2018 models. Chrysler seems to have the major issues fixed (a bad diode and leaking battery coolant) and we've had no problems so far. The van is quiet and smooth in both driving modes. It feels quicker than the gas version.

The hybrid doesn't have stow-n-go seating because the battery pack is under the floor where the seats would fold down. The removable seats are more comfortable than the folding ones, but we do miss the underfloor storage.

Edit to add that Chrysler doesn't support towing behind the Pacifica hybrid. Boats or otherwise.
longeryak
wxguy95 said:

Sienna has AWD option, and is probably the reliability you are searching for.
As long as you stay away from AWD version.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.