Negotiating/internet pricing

2,713 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by reproag
Oknows
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Haven't bought a new vehicle in 11 years. Internet pricing wasn't a thing back then, at least that I was aware of. How much negotiation room is there from internet prices that have all of the incentives already calculated? Thanks.
The Wonderer
AG
Oknows said:

Haven't bought a new vehicle in 11 years. Internet pricing wasn't a thing back then, at least that I was aware of. How much negotiation room is there from internet prices that have all of the incentives already calculated? Thanks.
Send emails to multiple dealers and pit them against each other.

I also look at true car to get an idea of what to expect.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Just be aware a lot of "internet pricing" and "internet managers" are just to get you in the door and once you're inside, they hand you off to a typical sales guy. Not saying every dealer does that, but many do.

Also sometimes they play the old game of "oh, someone just sold that unit" or "its got bedliner, tint, undercoating etc we can't take off...."
reproag
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Just be aware a lot of "internet pricing" and "internet managers" are just to get you in the door and once you're inside, they hand you off to a typical sales guy. Not saying every dealer does that, but many do.

Also sometimes they play the old game of "oh, someone just sold that unit" or "its got bedliner, tint, undercoating etc we can't take off...."
Also watch out for "oh you don't qualify for the military, recent graduate, loyalty, or what ever rebate so your price is not what I quoted you".
I will NEVER apologize for being American
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
reproag said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

Also watch out for "oh you don't qualify for the military, recent graduate, loyalty, or what ever rebate so your price is not what I quoted you".

X2

A Houston area Hyundai got in a bunch of hot water last year when there was a 3000 dollar rebate for Uber drivers, but it didnt say that it was for Uber drivers, until you got there.
FTACO97
AG
My wife and I are right in the middle of this right now. What I've found is that once you've gotten a price from the Internet contact at the dealership or from TrueCar/CarGurus, that's probably the best price you're going to get. This internet pricing has greatly changed how negotiating goes as others have mentioned.

Also, as others have mentioned, you need to be aware of the dealer add-ons that will get added to the price once you're there. They'll tell you that, yes, that Internet price from their dealership is good, but it doesn't include the $1-2k worth of dealer add-ons that they've already put on the car.

It's best to work with the Internet person through email and request their best out-the-door price, including the dealer add-ons. That will give you the grand total of what you'll pay (minus any trade in or money down) including TT&L and all other fees.
The Wonderer
AG
FTACO97 said:

My wife and I are right in the middle of this right now. What I've found is that once you've gotten a price from the Internet contact at the dealership or from TrueCar/CarGurus, that's probably the best price you're going to get. This internet pricing has greatly changed how negotiating goes as others have mentioned.

Also, as others have mentioned, you need to be aware of the dealer add-ons that will get added to the price once you're there. They'll tell you that, yes, that Internet price from their dealership is good, but it doesn't include the $1-2k worth of dealer add-ons that they've already put on the car.

It's best to work with the Internet person through email and request their best out-the-door price, including the dealer add-ons. That will give you the grand total of what you'll pay (minus any trade in or money down) including TT&L and all other fees.
This. When I bought my BMW, there was about $750 worth of "fees" that I didn't agree. Showed them the text message where I agreed to the price of the vehicle OTD plus tax and state fees and they dropped it quickly.
Oknows
AG
Thank you for the responses. Sucks that no matter what you do, when buying a car, you always feel like you are getting screwed.
MC Clap Yo Handz
AG
I did a version of the emails to multiple dealers when I bought my Raptor back in 2014. I contacted 5 dealers and told them upfront that I wanted to communicate via email and if they were the lowest, I would order from them. I then sent a letter, addressed to all 5 sales people (so they knew their competition), that detailed what I wanted and what I wanted to/thought I should pay. 2 were out right away as they could not place an order for one at that time. The remaining 3 submitted bids, and I went with a dealer about an hour and a half away, but he was about 6K under the highest bid and $500 (plus extended warranty & lifetime powertrain warranty) under the next closest. I paid my deposit and when I went to pick it up, I was in and out in no time, with no "hidden fees."

Did something very similar with 4 dealers on my wife's Escalade we just purchased. Did have an "extra fee" with that because she changed her mind and wanted the black wheels instead of the chrome, which I was all for anyways.

This was in Georgia.
The Kraken
AG
reproag said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

I have them individually list all the rebates, the dealer discount and any dealer add ons. Also check online for all current rebates to make sure they are including them all.
reproag
AG
Oknows said:

Thank you for the responses. Sucks that no matter what you do, when buying a car, you always feel like you are getting screwed.
Buying a vehicle should be an enjoyable experience.

1. Figure out which brand you want.
2. Ask AB for TexAgs hookup.
3. Don't get screwed and actually feel good about your purchase.
reproag
AG
New World Ag said:

reproag said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

I have them individually list all the rebates, the dealer discount and any dealer add ons. Also check online for all current rebates to make sure they are including them all.
Just remember that if you order a vehicle the rebates can change by the time it gets in.
saltydog13
AG
Any news on the 2019 RAV4 regarding when orders will be able to be made?
TxAg20
AG
reproag said:

New World Ag said:

reproag said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

Just remember that if you order a vehicle the rebates can change by the time it gets in.

I've ordered a handful of Fords and they always gave me the option of taking the rebates at the time of order or the time of delivery and allowed me to make the election upon delivery of the vehicle.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
TxAg20 said:

reproag said:

New World Ag said:

reproag said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

I've ordered a handful of Fords and they always gave me the option of taking the rebates at the time of order or the time of delivery and allowed me to make the election upon delivery of the vehicle.
X2
DannyDuberstein
AG
Would echo above to pin them down on the details of the price and the vehicle options so that you can hold them to it. Even with the details, before I make the trip, i'll still ask them to confirm via email that it is the "all in" price and let them know that if there are surprise dealer add-ons when I show up, it's going to be a problem. So the time to come clean is now or you wont be selling a car to me.
12th Man Ag
AG
reproag said:

New World Ag said:

reproag said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

Just did this with Tommie Vaughn and they said I would get the current offer or the offer when it arrives, whichever is better.
jimscott85
AG
Going through this now. Dealership I'm working with has been no haggle thus far (Autonation). Their price actually had the add-ons included (window tint). We've dealt with them before, and it's been pretty smooth.

Next step is to get a Carmax quote on top of my GiveMeTheVin quote when we bring in the trade. I've looped in another dealer to have them push the price down as low as possible before we go in.

Fingers crossed there aren't any surprises between now and Friday.
reproag
AG
saltydog13 said:

Any news on the 2019 RAV4 regarding when orders will be able to be made?

November
reproag
AG
TxAg20 said:

reproag said:

New World Ag said:

reproag said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

The only things I've had to order are TRD Pro which don't have a rebate and a TRD off rd package on a 1794. It must be a Ford thing, with Toyota & Chevy it's when the vehicle is delivered.
jimscott85
AG
jimscott85 said:

Going through this now. Dealership I'm working with has been no haggle thus far (Autonation). Their price actually had the add-ons included (window tint). We've dealt with them before, and it's been pretty smooth.

Next step is to get a Carmax quote on top of my GiveMeTheVin quote when we bring in the trade. I've looped in another dealer to have them push the price down as low as possible before we go in.

Fingers crossed there aren't any surprises between now and Friday.
Spoke too soon. Well, Autonation isn't causing any problems.

But I went to David McDavid for a comparable quote. All they can tell me is they can "do the deal" if I come in today. Won't offer any details. Just provided a VIN number for the vehicle they are using for the comp. Now they are asking for a deposit so the car doesn't sell.
reproag
AG
12th Man Ag said:

reproag said:

New World Ag said:

reproag said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

Just did this with Tommie Vaughn and they said I would get the current offer or the offer when it arrives, whichever is better.
Spoke to two different Ford sales reps at two different stores. One said they would do either but only if customer asked and the other said it was incentives when the vehicle was delivered. Personally I think it should be either.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.