Question - DIY Brake Job - Turnig Rotors?

1,401 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Ag for Life
ChemEAg08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So, I'm about to do my first brake job, and while I was buying the pads, the person from the auto part store was telling me I should turn the rotors prior to doing the brake job.

Thoughts? I know the answer is probably "it depends", but if the car just started squeaking, is it vital to do it or not? They said it was $15/rotor at the store.
BrazosDog02
AG
Well, to do it right you either need them turned or replaced. You don't want pre grooved rotors on new pads tearing them up.

That said, on at least 3 occasions, with not time or option, I've dropped new pads on old rotors a d they've led happy lives for 20,000 miles.

You can turn your rotors, it's cheaper than new ones, but it's a pain in the ass to me. They will let you know if they are in spec and machineable.

Every used rotor is warped. It may not be enough to feel or notice but it's going to kind of suck to get a shimmy 1000 miles after pads.

I flip flop my repairs....I put new rotors on now, and have the old ones turned, next time I'll out those on and turn the ones on it. After one turn, I replace.

Long Live Sully
AG
Inspect them and if they don't have grooves and your pads are wearing evenly then they are most likely fine to use. I turn rotors every other time I replace the pads. Pads that aren't evenly worn can be a sign of a warped rotor. Always get them turned in that case.

Back when I lived in minivan misery that thing always had rotors that were warped. Likely due to the wife not even slowing down until she was 30 feet from a turn.
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

That said, on at least 3 occasions, with not time or option, I've dropped new pads on old rotors a d they've led happy lives for 20,000 miles.

That's horrible. What do you get with new rotors?
Flaith
AG
Cow Hop Ag said:

Inspect them and if they don't have grooves and your pads are wearing evenly then they are most likely fine to use. I turn rotors every other time I replace the pads. Pads that aren't evenly worn can be a sign of a warped rotor. Always get them turned in that case.
This. Plus, rotors are cheap enough to just replace them if they are warped.
Gigemags05
AG
Like others have said, I would get them turned or replace them.

The only problem with getting them turned is the inconvenience of having to pull them and run them back to the parts store and wait for them to turn them.
Long Live Sully
AG
It is a pain. The last time I just bought new rotors for my truck and had the old ones turned and have them ready for the next change.
Mr. Dubi
It depends also if the guy at the parts store has a clue how to turn the rotors. I have gotten back rotors with chatter marks, deep groves cut, and not chucked true so they were only half resurfacedonly half refinished!
BrazosDog02
AG
robertf03 said:

BrazosDog02 said:

That's horrible. What do you get with new rotors?
LOL.

Not a Houston driver, eh?

I drive a truck. I tow with a truck. I drive it like I stole it. Every day in Houston rush hour.

If I get 30k out of a set, I'm a happy camper.
Silvy
AG
Bruh, I have over 50k on my front pads (EBC Green Stuff) and commute to/from Houston and Galveston daily.

Wat r u doin
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

Not a Houston driver, eh?

Houston st viaduct, but only for brunch
BrazosDog02
AG
Cool story, bro?

There is a lot more to brake pad life than 'how many miles you drive'. Vehicle make, model, options, brake size, driving habits, driving environment, pad material, etc, etc, etc.

By contrast, I had 100,000 miles on my factory brakes for my F250, houston driving, towing, driving like an *******...

My expedition made 60k on factory pads...all 4wd vehicles driving in pretty much identical environments.

My F150 eats thermoquiets for breakfast. If I want more mileage I have to switch to Carquest brand Ceramics....they do a lot better.

Bob_Ag
AG
Never been a fan of getting them turned. Rotors aint that expensive and you gotta take the old ones off anyways.
chimpanzee
Turning the old ones may or may not work, and you will only find out after waiting on them at the parts store. If time is no object and you have a shop that you trust do it, then you could save a few bucks by having them turned. If an extra few buck per corner is no big deal for you, then just get new rotors.
Gigemags05
AG
If you plan ahead you can also get rotors at a good price on Rockauto. The price difference can be offset quite a bit.
Jason Ag
AG
I bought all new pads and rotors on Amazon a couple years ago. No problems so far.
Stat Monitor Repairman
silverado_lover said:

Bruh, I commute to/from Houston and Galveston daily

Jesus man. Put a NSFL tag on your post. Now I got PTSD.
agracer
AG
Bob_Ag said:

Never been a fan of getting them turned. Rotors aint that expensive and you gotta take the old ones off anyways.
not usually.
Ag for Life
AG
I only turn the rears now. I replace the fronts. 30K out of pads is ridiculous regardless of how you drive the vehicle. If you're only getting 30K, buy better quality pads.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.