Fastest Car - Netflix Original Series

2,929 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by easttexasaggie04
locogringo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hadn't seen this posted yet. If it's old news, sorry, delete thread, ban OP!

Basic idea is that 3 "sleeper" cars drag race 1 supercar, 4 wide in one race on an airstrip.

Sounds kinda gimiky but it has actually been better than I expected so far (4 episodes in, 8 episodes total).

Production quality is low, kind of documentary style which I think is what makes it good. The entire episode (45ish minutes) is spent following each of the racers as they prep for the race and talk about their automotive past. So far, all of the back stories are pretty good and the race results are not always expected.

I'd say the show is more about the "gear head" culture/life and then 5 minutes of the race/results.

If you're looking for something to watch, I'd say it's worth a shot.

EDIT: One of the episodes uses a Viper in Dallas as the super car. Figured FLATOUT would be familiar with that race.
AggieSam02
AG
I watched the first two so far. Liking it as well.
mAgnoliAg
AG
I'm out of things to watch besides nba playoffs so I guess I'll have to check it out
Flaith
AG
I want to like this show, but it is really really bad. It views like a reality TV show more than a car show.
lexofer
AG
Wish they would rerun the race instead of repeatedly disqualifying half the field for minor offenses. It's a TV show for entertainment, not a real race. Sucks you don't get to see who actually would have won.
locogringo
AG

Quote:

I want to like this show, but it is really really bad. It views like a reality TV show more than a car show.
Definitely not a reality TV show. Nothing staged or scripted. They just select the racers, show their story, show the race. No made up drama. But I agree, it's no Top Gear. But there is something respectable about it over Fast and Loud.

Quote:

Wish they would rerun the race instead of repeatedly disqualifying half the field for minor offenses. It's a TV show for entertainment, not a real race. Sucks you don't get to see who actually would have won.
Ya I wish you could see a good race on those few. But I do really like the fact that they enforce the rules no matter what, that is very important in racing. The Detroit episode was handled appropriately I think. And there are only disqualifications in 2 episodes I think

Like I said, kinda low buck, but it's not bad. I finished the 8th episode last night. EP7 is the worst, EP8 is the finale and is OK. First few episodes are the best.
lexofer
AG
In regards to the DQ's

First episode they specifically said that first false start is a rerun, second time is a DQ. Then they change the rule later without ever mentioning it and suddenly change the outcome of a race. Should have been a rerun even with the new rule because the other two drivers left so early it probably screwed with the other two.

Second set of DQ's they let the first guy do a second burnout, don't say anything so the McLaren guy thinks it's ok and does one too. If they had DQ'd the guy right away there wouldn't have been a second DQ. Instead they wait until after the race and the loudmouth whines and bullies his way into a rerace. If it had been a DQ, the other guy that actually finished should have won. Loudmouth's car wasn't running right on the day of the race, no way should he have been allowed to rerun weeks later. Instead the biggest jerk there, with the 3rd fastest car (when it runs) is going on to the finals. I compete in a game at a high level and I see people yell and bully their way into undeserved redo's and I don't care for that kind of bull**** at all.
Flaith
AG
Quote:

Definitely not a reality TV show. Nothing staged or scripted. They just select the racers, show their story, show the race. No made up drama. But I agree, it's no Top Gear. But there is something respectable about it over Fast and Loud.
Meh. I don't care for the personal sob stories or the expose/montage on the chrome lambo dude's fabulous lifestyle. Make it more about the cars, and I would probably like it more.

The 20 minute background on the T-bird guy's dead friend and then the entire race being awkwardly dedicated to that guy? Not necessary.

The photographer dude in the yellow lambo was actually pretty cool, but he borrowed the car from a friend who rents exotics. That's dumb. I do like how he admitted to learning launch control the day before from watching YouTube.
Aggietaco
AG
The next guy, the divorce attorney with the worked over side piece, was also looking up how to drive his car before he almost ran over the flagman.

This show is garbage, but I let it run in the background when I'm working on other things.
SteveA
AG
I liked the concept, but the execution was stupid. Can these sleepers beat a supercar?? Well, maybe in a strait line. Even then, the changed from concrete to asphalt to dirt, with the only on AWD, which gee, has an advantage?
Centerpole90
AG
Aggietaco said:

The next guy, the divorce attorney with the worked over side piece,
When he was cruising with the doors up alll I could think of with that guy is Russ from Silicon Valley;

"These doors go like this. These are not the doors of a Billionaire Richard."

JSKolache
AG
Good show, I'm 6 in. Better than 95% of the crap on cable.
Centerpole90
AG
I waited to finish that episode to read the spoiler. You are exactly correct; and people act that way from Tball to adulthood. His girlfriend was the only one in his posse w any scene control.
AggieGunslinger
AG
After the first few episodes I just started jumping to the end and watching the race.
Carny89
My buddy had his wife on the show with her s-10. He did say that the show was fun to participate in and the guy in the super car was a stiff. He landed up being friends with the guy in the t-bird after the show.
Madman
AG
locogringo said:

Quote:

Quote:

Ya I wish you could see a good race on those few. But I do really like the fact that they enforce the rules no matter what, that is very important in racing. The Detroit episode was handled appropriately I think. And there are only disqualifications in 2 episodes I think

Like I said, kinda low buck, but it's not bad. I finished the 8th episode last night. EP7 is the worst, EP8 is the finale and is OK. First few episodes are the best.
Highly doubtful. My lesbian neighbors were just selected for a tv show about RV owners. They didn't get a script but they said they filmed everything several times including until they show got what they wanted. Then the final product was edited to make reality look different.

When there are cameras and a budget involved things get warped.
FLATOUT
AG
locogringo said:

Hadn't seen this posted yet. If it's old news, sorry, delete thread, ban OP!

Basic idea is that 3 "sleeper" cars drag race 1 supercar, 4 wide in one race on an airstrip.

Sounds kinda gimiky but it has actually been better than I expected so far (4 episodes in, 8 episodes total).

Production quality is low, kind of documentary style which I think is what makes it good. The entire episode (45ish minutes) is spent following each of the racers as they prep for the race and talk about their automotive past. So far, all of the back stories are pretty good and the race results are not always expected.

I'd say the show is more about the "gear head" culture/life and then 5 minutes of the race/results.

If you're looking for something to watch, I'd say it's worth a shot.

EDIT: One of the episodes uses a Viper in Dallas as the super car. Figured FLATOUT would be familiar with that race.
Yes very familiar with that customer and race lol. He's not one of my customers but we talk pretty often.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
I almost spit my drink out when they guy that was driving his 2006 Ford GT says to the camera "the sound of a small block Coyote...."
FLATOUT
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

I almost spit my drink out when they guy that was driving his 2006 Ford GT says to the camera "the sound of a small block Coyote...."
What an idiot lol
easttexasaggie04
AG
The guy with the Viper is what I imagine MFBarnes to be like.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.