2018 diesel trucks

4,460 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by mts6175
Chris Russ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just sold my 1999 Ford F250 7.3 and am in the market for a new truck. I am having a hard time deciding which truck to go with. I have driven a new F250 and Chevy 2500 and liked both. I have not driven the Ram 2500 yet. Have there been any major problems with any of these? Would like this board's insight. Thanks
matthewj042
AG
I'm on my 3rd F250, all 6.7s, and both of the previousltrucks went 200K with normal maintenance. I've head really good luck with them
matthewj042@gmail.com
FishingAggie
FishingAggie
I've had 3 Chevy 2500's. All diesel.
Just bought one last week. I love them. There's some deals out there too

I had a glow plug go out on the 2015 at 67k miles
Only issue I've ever had.

I lift them all too. Never a problem.
This new 2018 is fassssst. Lol.
For a truck.

Jmo. I'm a Chevy guy though.
Chris Russ
Thanks for the input.
CDUB98
AG
Should have kept the '99.
BrazosDog02
AG
CDUB98 said:

Why? It's a 7.3, he probably sold it to some schmuck for 30k. LOL.

Now he can get a new truck with better...everything.
CDUB98
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

CDUB98 said:

Why? It's a 7.3, he probably sold it to some schmuck for 30k. LOL.

Now he can get a new truck with better...everything.

Except fuel mileage and reliability (somewhat).
jbennett13
AG
I went from 2003 RAM CTD 5.9l to a 2018 RAM CTD 6.7l

Power = big upgrade

Downside = EGR/DEF/DPF

I personally don't care for FERD, though most on here do.

I would have done a Chevy if they competed in the MegaCAB class. No one does in diesel though, only RAM.

Also, in my opinion, the Cummins power plant inline 6 design is superior to the V-8 counterparts from Chevy/Ford. Just my opinion.

Oh the biggest downside to the RAM (68rfe trans) blows donkey balls. I plan on converting to an Allison to buying a "built" 68rfe. It's just too damn small.
powerbelly
AG
My father-in-law has owned Ford and Chevy 2018s. He prefers the interior of the ford but everything else on the chevy.

YMMV
mts6175
AG
I bought a '17 Denali 2500 eight months ago. Came out of a '15 F250. I looked at both the new Fords and GMC's and I literally could have flipped a coin. I ultimately went with the GMC because of the deal I got.

To me, the Ford diver and passenger position has more room. Leg and shoulder. I may notice it more because I'm a big guy (played OL). However, the GMC the seats are 10x more comfortable. The ride is also better on the GMC. I've rode in plenty of newer Super Duties given my line of work, and the GMC rides better hands down. Driven between Midland and Houston plenty of times and the GMC is the only truck I've never felt like I just got out of 10 rounds with Mike Tyson punching my back.

Towing Capacity is greater on the Ford. Doesn't mean the GMC can't tow, it does and does it well. I'm more comfortable towing in my GMC than I was in my old Ford. Both have very strong engines and freaking run. The GMC to me feels like it has more to it than the Ford, just the truck is rated for towing less weight

The Ford 6.7 can be tuned and deleted. The GM L5P can not as of yet and I'm having my doubts if it ever will be (going into year 3 with no one cracking it yet).

All of them get a refresh in 2020, GM is a full redesign of the Chevy and GMC.

Personal opinion is that the GM's are built better. The materials are better quality, Ford still has the manufacturing issues of being inconsistent in build quality (panels mis-aligned, rattles, etc. the little details) it's annoying that this happens on a $50k+ truck. It's not enough to deter me from buying one, just annoying.
PFG
AG
I don't own a diesel, but until Chevy moves the DEF tank, they would be a no go for me. Its hideous. And turns a decent ground clearance truck into a vehicle that might not clear a curb.
mts6175
AG
Zero issues with the DEF tank clearance and I work in the oilfield. And I've yet to see any proof of one actually getting damaged from the internet complainers.
PFG
AG
Now if only it didn't look like someone left a toolbox hanging under the passenger side door. Its by far the lowest thing on the truck, yes? Lower than the front valence from what I can tell.
AgEng06
AG
JFC man, that DEF tank has really affected you. I've seen you mention it multiple times in the past day or so, and damn near every time a GM diesel is mentioned. Show us on the doll where the DEF tank touched you...
PFG
AG
Right next to where your mom touched me.
AgEng06
AG
I accept your concession that you've been a whiner.
PFG
AG
I accept your acknowledgement of your $60K truck having the ground clearance of a Prius.
AgEng06
AG
I don't own one, just noticed the trend in your posts.

And now back to OP's regularly scheduled programming...
Presley OBannons Sword
I cant decide who is more annoying, 7.3 fanboys or the guys who bash the 7.3 every chance they have.

and i drive a 7.3.
02CobraC
AG
7.3!!!
TSW2012
AG
I have the same problem with def tank but will absolutely admit that it is purely because I don't like the way it looks. Same thing about how the frame rail dips under the cab.
Builder93
AG
I've had 2 7.3's and now drive a 2015 6.7.

The 6.7 is way faster and quieter. The 7.3 will last for at least 500k miles, but the 6.7 is much more fun to drive.
Chris Russ
Well I went with a new Chevy Duramax. So far I love it. We will see how it stands the test of time. Thanks for everyone's replies.
Chris Russ
Running boards hide the DEF tank pretty good. I don't even notice it.
mts6175
AG
Chris Russ said:

Running boards hide the DEF tank pretty good. I don't even notice it.
Don't tell PFG that.....
Corps_Ag12
AG
Great choice!

I also never notice the DEF tank because I'm never on that side of the truck. So it doesn't both me one bit.
Texmid
AG
I have a 2011 F250 with the DEF tank. Do any of the manufacturers make the DEF tank big enough so that you don't have to refill it between oil changes?
gwellis
AG
If you want to compare apples to apples. Get the RAM 3500 and compare to the others 250 or 2500. The RAM 2500 won't payload what the others will. Their 5 link coil suspension will walk like a duck down the road. The RAM 3500 has leaf springs so it would be fine. If you don't like the 68 transmission get the eisen transmission and you are set.

I just traded my 2016 RAM MegaCab 4x4 for a 2018 Ford F-350 due to payload issues. The Ford is frigging sweet. Just saying.

Gil '91
PFG
AG
Yup. Completely hidden by running boards.

clarythedrill
PFG said:

You must be a midget?
PFG
AG
Nope. There it is, in all its glory. Hanging out lower than any part of the frame and front valence.

When aftermarket parts exist for "def tank skid plate"...lol
clarythedrill
PFG said:

Nope. There it is, in all its glory. Hanging out lower than any part of the frame and front valence.

When aftermarket parts exist for "def tank skid plate"...lol
Perhaps you can post a link to any article proclaiming this to be an acute problem for anyone other than a very small handful that may have punctured the DEF tank by doing something stupid?

I would venture a guess that Ford 6.7 turbos have left more people stranded on the side of the road than punctured Chevy DEF tanks.

Some people hate Chevrolet more than they love themselves.

EDIT: that photo you attached is for 2016 or earlier model. The 2017s and up have a larger, but longer one that does not appear to hang as low, but might.
mts6175
AG
PFG said:

Come on man, get with the times. The new ones are 2.5 gallons bigger........
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.